Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (Son of) the Lowbrow thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

(Son of) the Lowbrow thread

Sure, we may have discussed it a bit previously, but that was years ago and people like ursus we've some new folks here that exhibit some serious lowbrow leanings that we haven't heard from on this matter.

Let's just get it all out in the open, what are your claims to lowbrow culture?

I'll throw out a couple new ones - I'm perfectly okay with drinking Boone's farm wine. It doesn't taste bad.

Since I have a wood burning stove insert I always have several cords of wood stored under attractive blue, silver and camo tarps in the side yard.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We have a non running truck and a pop up camper in our drive.
    I have some fence held up with bailing wire.

We can't park in our drive because there is a huge sink hole.
    So my front yard is looking way crappy for my neighborhood.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is the difference between lowbrow vs cheap/frugal ?

According to my sister (who lives in Manhatten NY) thinks I have been in the midwest too long and she said the samething when I lived in mountains of UT & CO.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'll throw out a couple new ones - I'm perfectly okay with drinking Boone's farm wine. It doesn't taste bad.
    I was going to join in the conversation, but I don't know if I can now. This is pretty much blasphemy. It tastes horrible. Just take vodka and add it to cranberry juice if you want that kind of flavor...ugh.

------------------------------

I love all things farming. I would take a $250k combine over a 3000s.f. house in the suburbs. I also think most off brands taste better than the name brand stuff.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I love mud and dirt (as long as it isn't in the waters of the Commonwealth).
    I enjoy watching professional bull riding.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Since I have a wood burning stove insert I always have several cords of wood stored under attractive blue, silver and camo tarps in the side yard.
    Ditto. Except our wood is covered by a couple of old shower curtains.

How about the teartrop trailer that hubby is building in our garage? Does that count?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Ditto. Except our wood is covered by a couple of old shower curtains.
    That's even better!

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    How about the teartrop trailer that hubby is building in our garage? Does that count?
    The fact that he's being considerate to the neighbors and doing it inside the garage disqualifies. Now if he worked on it in the driveway that would be a class A example..... particularly if the project took several years.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I had a western themed wedding. I win! Just kidding. (I really did have a western wedding, though - you can check out my album on my profile.)

I also enjoy red dirt music, late 80's/early 90's country (yes, including Garth Brooks).

I live in Texas. And when I did not live in Texas, I lived in Oklahoma.

I doubt I will ever own/drive a non-Big Three car. I still view them as "foreign", regardless of whether they're produced in the US and use more US-made parts than their Big Three counterparts or not.

I enjoy drinking mass-produced American beer, especially Michelob and Bud Light. I even drink Busch on occasion.

I voted for George W. Bush and defended his intellect. (That one's for the win. I can't top that one.)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Oh and I drink box wine.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

I will admit that I enjoy some of your lowbräu American entertainment. Television shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, and Mad Men, they are, how you say, my guilty pleasures?

Seriously, though ...

* CB radio. I've owned several throughout my life, including a few legendary models.

* Southern rock. Not a connoisseur, but I enjoy it when I'm driving.

* Coast to Coast AM. George Noory looks a but like Maister.

* Genesee Cream Ale. *poot*

* Blended whiskey. I'm not really a hard liquor drinker, but I'll drink a blended whiskey as readily as a single-malt.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I drink way too much Mtn. Dew.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    * Southern rock. Not a connoisseur, but I enjoy it when I'm driving.
    Let's be quite honest here. Lynard Skynard probably represents the pinnacle of redneck [musical] culture. They are to Southern rock as Bach is to baroque classical, the Beatles to pop, and Charlie Parker to jazz - transcendent.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Let's be quite honest here. Lynard Skynard probably represents the pinnacle of redneck [musical] culture. They are to Southern rock as Bach is to baroque classical, the Beatles to pop, and Charlie Parker to jazz - transcendent.
    That's an affront to the Allman Brothers. Dickie Betts is on the way to personally kick your yankee @$$!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Got in late and just saw the thread. Half my backyard is dirt and I'm leaving it that way because the neighborhood boys are having fun trenching it. I think there may be future civil engineers (or at least Hebrew slaves) among them.

I have an unlicensed pop-up trailer parked in the driveway I'm not supposed to have (extra points).

Last weekend I PURCHASED - on purpose - a DVD titled "The Essential Ernest P. Whorl". I enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't want to, but I think he's funny, know what I mean, Vern?

I think my low-browness ends there. Oh, yes and I like Chili. Just cans of cheap chili with frozen burritos. Best. Lunch. Ever.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    That's an affront to the Allman Brothers. Dickie Betts is on the way to personally kick your yankee @$$!
    I'll second this sentiment. A better analogy would have been comparing Austro-German composers of the Romantic period, in which case Skynyrd would be Johann Strauss (II) and the Allmans would be Gustav Mahler.

In this same analogy, Molly Hatchet would be Richard Wagner.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I'll second this sentiment. A better analogy would have been comparing Austro-German composers of the Romantic period, in which case Skynyrd would be Johann Strauss (II) and the Allmans would be Gustav Mahler.

In this same analogy, Molly Hatchet would be Richard Wagner.
    Look, I'm only going to explain this once. The Allmans would be most akin to Lizst. Think about it, not only were they both hailed as virtuoso performers, but also introduced new musical forms, much as Liszt did with his creation of the symphonic poem.

I heartily agree with the Molly Hatchet - Wagner comparasin.
    What does that make .38 Special? (I'm thinking someone late in the classical music game with popular and hummable tunes like, perhaps Aaron Copland, with his 'Fanfare for the Common Man')

BTW I hope you're happy TO, you realize by forcing us to have this exchange you've cost us both our lowbrow street cred?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I shop at Walmart, because they don't have Kroger's here. However, I will not stoop to Dollar General Store level.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Look, I'm only going to explain this once. The Allmans would be most akin to Lizst. Think about it, not only were they both hailed as virtuoso performers, but also introduced new musical forms, much as Liszt did with his creation of the symphonic poem.

I heartily agree with the Molly Hatchet - Wagner comparasin.
    What does that make .38 Special? (I'm thinking someone late in the classical music game with popular and hummable tunes like, perhaps Aaron Copland, with his 'Fanfare for the Common Man')

BTW I hope you're happy TO, you realize by forcing us to have this exchange you've cost us both our lowbrow street cred?
    Ah. I was trying to stick more with the Germanic influences in Austria. However, I stand by my Mahler analogy for the Allmans, even when compared to the Hungarian, Liszt. Mahler is famous for incredibly lengthy and complex harmonies that are amongst the most difficult to perform in modern classical repertoire. Mahler's works are also less-known than his contemporaries in popular culture, and often are dark and/or foreboding in nature.

Liszt might be more appropriate for .38 Special, as many of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies are known to people, even if they don't know it's Liszt. They're also sort of upbeat, written in major keys - another commonality. Another good possibility for .38 Special would be Richard Strauss.

Sorry about making us lose our "cred."
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 20 Sep 2010 at 2:42 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post

Sorry about making us lose our "cred."
    Attention Frazier and Niles: your low-brow cred was based on George Bush and cheap wine (as were a great many Texas weddings of the past decade, no doubt) so don't cry for it too much

With that said, I am bemused by your exchange and I think you should kick it up a notch and give us an in-depth comparison of Liszt's Mephisto Waltz to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"! I'd read all of that, too....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    How timely is this?

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...&postcount=163
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    [img]George Noory looks a but like Maister.
    You misspelled "butt"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie
    Mahler is famous for incredibly lengthy and complex harmonies that are amongst the most difficult to perform in modern classical repertoire. Mahler's works are also less-known than his contemporaries in popular culture, and often are dark and/or foreboding in nature.
    I find myself comparing The Outlaws' Green Grass and High Tides Forever to Mahler's Symphony No. 3 in D Minor. What say you?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I find myself comparing The Outlaws' Green Grass and High Tides Forever to Mahler's Symphony No. 3 in D Minor. What say you?
    I don't know. I am not familiar with the Outlaws. I will have to get back to you...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    YES
    Attention Frazier and Niles: your low-brow cred
    IS LOST.

There's got to be others that feel equally yous guys are talking over us again as usual.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Is only owning used (recycled) furniture considered lowbrow?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 4:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  4. The Lowbrow Thread