Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Contract and temporary jobs?

Registered
    Oct 2009

Contract and temporary jobs?

Are they a waste of time?

As I am winding down my dog days here at a university I have been wondering what kind of jobs to apply for. Now I know it is a shot in the dark as to whether or not I can even get a job, but, I was wondering if it would be worth it to look into contract jobs.

Would this be of any use for getting different types of experiences? I was thinking that they can be such short jobs ( a coupe years sometimes) that I could dip into (potentially) different areas of the field.

Any advice?

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by northam01 View post

As I am winding down my dog days here at a university I have been wondering what kind of jobs to apply for.
    Mike
    Everything, anything, every single ding-dang thing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Definetely take on whatever type of work you can to get the experience, even if it is not directly related to planning. You never know where one job might lead. My portfolio is a mixture of internships (paid and unpaid), class work, full time planning work, and independent contract work. Besides, it will be very difficult in any economic climate to land a full time planning job without some related experience outside the classroom.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Quote Originally posted by northam01 View post
    Are they a waste of time?

As I am winding down my dog days here at a university I have been wondering what kind of jobs to apply for. Now I know it is a shot in the dark as to whether or not I can even get a job, but, I was wondering if it would be worth it to look into contract jobs.

Would this be of any use for getting different types of experiences? I was thinking that they can be such short jobs ( a coupe years sometimes) that I could dip into (potentially) different areas of the field.

Any advice?

Mike
    Work on meeting as many other planners as you can. Build relationships. Your social capital is the most valuable thing in finding a job and navigating your career.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My first job out of undergrad was a contract job. It was only supposed to be a 3-month gig but ended up going nearly a year. It gave me a lot of that I didn't get in school, my undergrad degrees were in public administration and economics and this was working at a private grantmaking foundation, and allowed me a lot of freedom to set my own schedule and not be as tied to a particular employer as I might otherwise be.

My only complaints were that as a contract employee you are responsible for taking care of all of your withholding taxes and if you don't plan accordingly, there can be some big consequences. Also, the lack of insurance wasn't so great, but hey, I was young and indestructible!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Interesting takes. I have been looking for anything t apply for but now I see perhaps I narrowed my scope a bit too much. Thanks all,being reassured is always nice.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    I just graduated last year and im in a 6 month contract postion right now (typeing this at work right now!) and I just applyed for another contract job.

Ive talked to my teachers/parents and others that are allready well into their jobs and most people start by working contract jobs. The main idea is to build experiance and gain relationships, rather than income.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Employment contract
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 9:48 AM
  2. What to include in a contract
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Jul 2007, 5:41 PM
  3. Contract help please!