Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mother in laws and evil daughter in laws that stole their little boys

Registered
    Feb 2004

Mother in laws and evil daughter in laws that stole their little boys

Think there'd be much interest in a companion 'Mother in laws and the selfish Jezebels who stole their little boys away' thread?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Think there'd be much interest in a companion 'Mother in laws and the selfish Jezebels who stole their little boys away' thread?
    Not in my case, since I'm pretty sure my mom likes my wife more than she likes me.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    What about Moms who exhibit almost creepy adoration for their sons well into their adult lives? My mom was not like that, and I don't see Mrs. ursus being that way with my sons. My sister's husband has one of those moms. They can't have a disagreement without her interfering, she practically lives at their home, tells my sis what "her boy" really likes to eat, etc. It's vile.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    What about Moms who exhibit almost creepy adoration for their sons well into their adult lives? My mom was not like that, and I don't see Mrs. ursus being that way with my sons. My sister's husband has one of those moms. They can't have a disagreement without her interfering, she practically lives at their home, tells my sis what "her boy" really likes to eat, etc. It's vile.
    That's not a helicopter parent, that's a...I don't know, Siamese twin parent.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Not in my case, since I'm pretty sure my mom likes my wife more than she likes me.
    I agree. I think my mom is more proud of my wife than she is of me. Not sure who she would pick if one of us had to go down the cliff....

Only in America can politicians cheat and lie and still not get booted... at least they lowered their salary from $100k a year to $8k. I like that this story is still not finished. I would have guessed a month ago or so when it hit that the solution would have been to fire all of them and then start a probe and see what they can arrest them on....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100921/..._bell_salaries
    Last edited by Gedunker; 21 Sep 2010 at 3:18 PM. Reason: seq. posts
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ursus
    What about Moms who exhibit almost creepy adoration for their sons well into their adult lives?
    oh my word, I could tell tons of stories....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    oh my word, I could tell tons of stories....
    Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO

Sounds like we have critical mass for a new thread. Okay SW MI Planner, we're all ears....

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My mom thinks i could have done better than my wife...

I disagree.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My former mother-in-law couldn't stand me behind my back, and tried to make me fit her mold. She told relatives that I wasn't good enough for her son. She told people, lots of people, in our town, that my husband isn't the father of our youngest child. She undermined me as a parent.

For the first ten years of our marriage, she pitted her son and me against each other, and did anything she could to cause him to choose her over me.

Her nasty behavior stopped when I finally reached my breaking point and told her how I felt about her and her behavior. We didn't talk for ten years, and my husband didn't talk to her until he needed a place to stay. She got what she thought she wanted, but from what I understand, he has very little to do with her.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Both my parents love my wife to bits and did so right from the start. I think they were just relieved that I had finally gotten a girlfriend

Oh, and Mrs. Tranplanner is totally awesome, so that helps.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    She told people, lots of people, in our town, that my husband isn't the father of our youngest child. She undermined me as a parent.

For the first ten years of our marriage, she pitted her son and me against each other, and did anything she could to cause him to choose her over me.
    That is UN - Freakin' - Believable! You didn't kill her, so I assume you've been cannonized?

My wife and my mother had some really harsh things to say to each other a couple of years ago and didn't speak for about 2 months. It was difficult, but my wife was right and eventually my mom came around. It's a lot better since then.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I think my mom secretly wishes she could still have me living at home and that she could find a man (she hasn't been married for 25+ years now) EXACTLY like me to take care of her. She got offended once when my wife told her matter-of-factly that I wouldn't eat the dinner she wanted to make me because I didn't like half of the ingredients in it. My mom said "I KNOW what my son likes to EAT!". I don't think they've spoken much since and I try to stay out of it. Thankfully she lives far enough away that it's not that much of an issue.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My mom mostly liked my ex, until 9/11 since he was Arab.

I never met my m-i-l since she was quite old, in frail health, lived in Kuwait and couldn't travel. She had no complaints her son married an American.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Mom liked my wife and vice versa.

Quite the opposite of what she experienced with her own mother-in-law. My grandmother and aunt refused to attend mom and dad's wedding (he had been supporting them after the war). But, rather than not attending -- and staying away like decent people, they practically boycotted outside the church. Lots and lots of post wedding pettiness, too. As much of a saint as my mom was, she never really forgave my grandmother.

Off-topic:
    Mom hated my sister's husband. She did nothing to interfere, but hated the guy to the core. She was very relieved when my sister divorced that loser.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    My mother in law is a meddler. She means well, but she really likes to stick her nose in our business and question every decision we make. She even goes so far as to make plans for us with other people in the family... wait that doesn't accurately describe it. Listen to this fabulous example

Ex: Brother in law loses his job and is going through a divorce. He gets his own place and starts working at a different job, but isn't getting paid as much and isn't terribly happy with where he is living (normal response given the situation I would say). Insert Mother in Law to the Rescue!!!!

MIL call to us: I'm sure you two have heard about poor Johnny. He is too proud to say it but he can't make his rent and he is too depressed due to the divorce to reach out for help (etc etc etc). But he wanted me to ask you if you two would be okay with him moving in with you and staying in your spare bedroom for a few months while he gets back on his feet?

We, of course, say that is absolutely fine.

MIL call to brother in law: I'm not sure if you know this Johnny, but the TerraSapient's could really use some help paying rent. You see, they are falling behind in their bills and really need someone to move into their spare bedroom to help them stay afloat for a few months. I was thinking you could do this for them, so they don't have to rent to a stranger. They wanted me to ask you if you wouldn't mind moving in for a little while and helping with rent.

Brother in Law says that would be fine.

Now.. fast forward to the weekend before brother in law is about to move in with us. We are all drinking and playing cards and the topic of why he is moving in with us comes up. Low and behold we discover that MIL made all of this up and called and tried to manipulate both parties because somewhere deep in her meddling little heart she decided that Johnny would be better off living with us, and we would somehow be better off having Johnny staying with us.... despite the fact that neither party wanted to live together, and in fact hated the idea, but agreed to do it anyway since we are family and were tricked into the thinking that the other was in serious need of help.

When we call MIL to question her about this, she folds, chuckles, and explains that she was just looking out for everyone's best interest. No dramatic response even. No self-defense. Just matter-of-factly "yes I did that" followed by a charming chuckle, and a quick change of subject.

Yep. That is my MIL. I do love her, but sometimes I'm just left with my jaw dropped open... WOW

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I am very lucky to have a mother-in-law who is a good person... and an excellent cook.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I agree. I think my mom is more proud of my wife than she is of me. Not sure who she would pick if one of us had to go down the cliff....

Only in America can politicians cheat and lie and still not get booted... at least they lowered their salary from $100k a year to $8k. I like that this story is still not finished. I would have guessed a month ago or so when it hit that the solution would have been to fire all of them and then start a probe and see what they can arrest them on....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100921/..._bell_salaries
    Same situation at my house. In fact my mother no longer calls me...if I want to know whats going on with her I ask my wife. When we go to her house for dinner the two of them hang out and play with the baby...I am reduced to watching tv and changing diapers. At least its football season.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 1998
    These control freaks many of you have mentioned...

Registered
    Feb 2002
    My ex just has a creepy relationship with his mom. His dad died 12 years ago and he promised he would take care of her. She went everywhere with us (we went on a total of probably 10 dates alone in the 6 years we were together - the rest of the time she came along, and the ex would drive and she "needed" to sit in the front while I sat in the back. She is late 50's but yet she would need him to pick up her paycheck, pay her bills, run her errands, bring dinner nightly, come over to get her mail and paper every day (from the road 20' away) but was able to perform her job (nurse) completely ok, she had to go with us to look at houses and would campaign for what she wanted. Anytime I did anything to the house, the ex would love it until she didn't like it and then all of a sudden he didn't like it anylonger.

I could tell TONS of stories, and they all probably seem minor, but its the totality of them that made them unbearable. She is queen at emotional blackmail and manipulation and so none of the things she did were by accident. The ex is a control freak, and enabled her behavior and encouraged it. So, I'm probably more bitter about that than anything else. After the divorce, he moved in with her for a few years and finally bought a house a year ago - it's right next door.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I could tell TONS of stories, and they all probably seem minor, but its the totality of them that made them unbearable. She is queen at emotional blackmail and manipulation and so none of the things she did were by accident.
    I couldn't put it better. All the little things get under your skin, but it seems petty to say anything about them at the time. My husband is just as manipulative as his mother, all under the guise of being a nice guy and a martyr. And co-dependent ( I wasn't always aware that there was a "term" for it.) And the woman he left for is just like his mom, so I suppose he'll be happy.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I guess I'm lucky that my mom likes Mrs. P - they'll get on the phone occassionally and talk for a long time.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My mom loves my wife and did right from the start (so does my dad). But I think after my previous longterm relationship (with somebody who was always angry at everybody, bossy, rude, and most importantly a picky eater) anybody was an improvement in their eyes. They even looked past the fact that my wife and her family are Catholic! My parents are extremely easy-going and laid back though, the exact opposite of my in-laws, and it takes a lot for them to not like somebody. I think the fact that my mom has two other daughters-in-law and a whole slew of grandkids to involve herself with also helps lessen the butting in that might otherwise happen.

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Same situation at my house. In fact my mother no longer calls me...if I want to know whats going on with her I ask my wife. When we go to her house for dinner the two of them hang out and play with the baby...I am reduced to watching tv and changing diapers. At least its football season.
    That's how it is with my sisters and my wife now that we have a baby. They call my wife and visit my wife weekly now. They never call me or come visit when I am home. If there is a family gathering, they now tell her about it and not me. Of course, they never called or visited at all before we had the baby either and I'm fine with that too. My wife, an only child, cannot understand why I don't know my siblings telephone numbers or birthdays and why I'm not involved with their personal lives... it's because I'm not an only child!! lol
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I couldn't put it better. All the little things get under your skin, but it seems petty to say anything about them at the time. My husband is just as manipulative as his mother, all under the guise of being a nice guy and a martyr. And co-dependent ( I wasn't always aware that there was a "term" for it.) And the woman he left for is just like his mom, so I suppose he'll be happy.
    Oh wow, are you sure we weren't married to the same person EXACTLY the same (right down to the woman my ex left for!)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh wow, are you sure we weren't married to the same person EXACTLY the same (right down to the woman my ex left for!)
    Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Cripes.....

Don't get me started on this subject.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning laws that bar pedophiles
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 15 Dec 2006, 4:31 AM
  2. Sunshine laws and lawyers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 12:17 PM