Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gala Garb

Registered
    Aug 2005

Gala Garb

The BF is now a Commissioned Officer in the US Navy (Reserves).

We've been invited to a "gala" in Newport, RI at the end of October. Any thoughts on what I should wear? The invite says civilians should wear formal attire.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    sounds like you get to do some shopping
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When service-related functions say 'formal' they really mean formal and the predominant dress styles tend to be rather conservative. I suggest some sort of 'Gone with the Wind' type gown (only partly ing)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Fancy, formal and think more on the conservative side. Don't flash a lot of cleavage or thigh. There will be some "ladies" dressed in a not-so-conservative style, but as an officer's SO, you should lean to the cover-it-up side. You don't have to be a nun, or show no skin at all, but the less-is-more concept will serve you well.

Dress shopping can be fun, but it can also be a pain in the a$$. Take a friend, hit the boutiques, and make a day of it! And you'll need an appropriate wrap/coat.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When service-related functions say 'formal' they really mean formal and the predominant dress styles tend to be rather conservative. I suggest some sort of 'Gone with the Wind' type gown (only partly ing)
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Fancy, formal and think more on the conservative side. Don't flash a lot of cleavage or thigh. There will be some "ladies" dressed in a not-so-conservative style, but as an officer's SO, you should lean to the cover-it-up side. You don't have to be a nun, or show no skin at all, but the less-is-more concept will serve you well.
    So Barbara Bush meets Scarlett O'Hara?

Would you recommend a long gown as opposed to a cocktail length dress?

Registered
    Feb 2004

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm......

Go with the tailhook line of hot pants make sure the word TAILHOOK is on the rear This will really break the ice

or go the other way with one of these great little numbers:
    http://quakerjane.com/spirit.friends...ess-plain.html
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I think of formal as long gown.

Believe it or not we have had really good luck at AMAZON.COM
    Usually inexpensive big selection.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

Longer rather than shorter.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't listen/pay attention to Teh One's suggestions - he's been out in the sun too long.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

Tea length or longer, but doesn't need to be "pouffy". Shoes that you can both stand for long periods in and walk away in, and maybe even dance in!

I can't decide if it's similar to a prom for adults, or more like the homecoming dance for adults. Dad always hated having to go to the "fancy shindigs" while mom enjoyed most of them.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ok.....

If you have to go middle of the road try this:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/.a/6a00d83...f204970c-320wi
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    This was always my experience when I was in the service as well. It was easy for me to go to the events since I would just put on my dress blue uniform but it always amazed me how dressed up some of the women (dates of other service men as the majority of the female Marines would also wear their dress uniforms) would get. Sometimes it looked like the women were getting dressed up to go to walk the red carpet at the Oscars.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread