Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GREs vs. work experience

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009

GREs vs. work experience

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to grad schools in the fall. I have my sights set on top-tier programs.

I have a near-perfect GPA, solid recommendations (1 academic + 2 work), and good work experience (in both areas: policy and practice).

Do you think that my GRE scores mean a lot to top-tier programs? Quite simply, I'm sick of studying for this crap. I don't plan to get much above a 1300, if that.

I'd like to think that GRE scores are decision factors for people with little to no work experience. And I want to spend more time on my statement of purpose letters and applications than studying for a standardized test.

But am I being too cavalier?

Thanks,
    Josh

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I do think it matters. The "top-tier" schools are very competitive these days. There are going to be many other applicants with the top GPA, work experience, etc., as well. 1300 would be average at best at these schools

Registered
    Nov 2005
    your goal should probably not only be to gain admittance but to get the school to provide you with as much financial assistance as possible, in which case you will need all of your application to be strong.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jan 2013, 1:17 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Sep 2012, 1:43 PM
  3. Work experience
    Student Commons
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 13 Apr 2010, 1:19 PM
  4. Work experience
    Student Commons