Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Importance of ACSP accreditation? And applying policy to planning

Registered
    Jul 2009

Importance of ACSP accreditation? And applying policy to planning

Posted this yesterday in teh Career Development forum, but thought I would also ask it here.

I'm currently a student in an urban policy program at a school affiliated with, but not a member of the ACSP, and so my program is not accredited. My interests are in the areas of econ development, transportation, planning and policy, and when looking at the urban planning program of a nearby, accredited school, I noticed few differences between the two.

How important is it to go to an ACSP accredited school? Also, can I achieve what I ultimately want to do from my current program? Are there any differences between having policy on the degree instead of planning (asides from the relative absence of architecture-design based courses)? Appreciate any help. Thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SebringVandit View post
    Posted this yesterday in teh Career Development forum, but thought I would also ask it here.
    I'm currently a student in an urban policy program at a school affiliated with, but not a member of the ACSP, and so my program is not accredited. My interests are in the areas of econ development, transportation, planning and policy, and when looking at the urban planning program of a nearby, accredited school, I noticed few differences between the two.
    Yeah, but not as much as you'd think

How important is it to go to an ACSP accredited school? Also, can I achieve what I ultimately want to do from my current program? Are there any differences between having policy on the degree instead of planning (asides from the relative absence of architecture-design based courses)? Appreciate any help. Thanks!
    It helps but its not critical. Focus on getting employable skills and oyu should be OK. Actually, policy backgrounds help, IMO, because then its not all about the perfect design, but about accomplishing planning goals overall, one of which is design.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Importance of regional planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 8:02 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Sep 2010, 1:29 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jun 2009, 8:58 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jan 2008, 9:10 AM