Urban planning community

Poll results: Does your fair city allow citizens to take pictures of utilities?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not an issue; it's never come up

10 55.56%
  • Of course

5 27.78%
  • Limited to city workers and telecom providers wanting to attach to the WT

1 5.56%
  • This mayor needs a life

5 27.78%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Photo-taking of your local utilities

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Photo-taking of your local utilities

This is pretty funny.

And some of the comments are spot-on. Yes, the subject water tower appears on the municipality's web page. Yes, the Press photographer apparently violated this new local law prohibiting same. Yes, yours truly has a gazillion photos of the Mackinac Bridge, and nary a peep out of the Coast Guard. (And yes, this mayor needs to get out more.)

This calls for a poll.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    This is pretty funny.

And some of the comments are spot-on. Yes, the subject water tower appears on the municipality's web page. Yes, the Press photographer apparently violated this new local law prohibiting same. Yes, yours truly has a gazillion photos of the Mackinac Bridge, and nary a peep out of the Coast Guard. (And yes, this mayor needs to get out more.)

This calls for a poll.
    Must have been a slow day in Kentwood. When I was in Sri Lanka doing a field study in the remote village we were told that we could not take photos of fishing harbor facility or the electrification project. We got a few photos on the sly of the harbor area despite it being patrolled quite heavily by military police and we have numerous photos of the electrification project since there was never anyone around to say otherwise.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 1998
    There was a time when the City of Atlanta public works would not give me access to water storage and distribution maps because some drug crazed hippy might put LSD into the system.

Registered
    May 2004

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've gotten told to stop taking photos at a CTA station. CTA policy actually allows photos but apparently the station attendant wasn't aware. I think there may be a ban on tripods and maybe "professional" cameras, but I was using a point and shoot. I was pretty much done anyways so I didn't feel like arguing.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I have been questioned by the police whilst taking photos of a bridge. It was stupid and i wasnt doing anything illegal.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I have been questioned by the police whilst taking photos of a bridge. It was stupid and i wasnt doing anything illegal.
    They's gettin a bit testy around the Harbour Bridge, too???

SHEESH!

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was stopped by mall security once for taking pictures in a half-vacant mall. They tracked me down in Michael's, I think it was. I explained that I was not a terrorist and was only collecting some background information for a market analysis. Interestingly, I have taken about 20,000 photos in downtowns and never get questioned, although I often get greeted by people who see me.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    They's gettin a bit testy around the Harbour Bridge, too???

SHEESH!

Mike
    Don't get me started, it was a small bridge in the suburbs. I was taking photos for a my art, it was a bit of a disgrace to be honest. And what bothers me the most, was that i think a passerby called the cops on me. I was set up with a tripod, remote and everything.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I never understood why governments get their panties in a bunch over this. Unless you were taking pictures of an open electrical cabinet or of inlet pipes/pumps up close I don't even know what use a water tower picture could be to anyone causing problems.

I do remember at my first job we bought a Pictometry package (in my opinion a big waste of money). This was in 2002 before google earth really got detailed and we wouldn't give out these images to anyone requesting them. This too is silly because now with the quality google earth and bing can give you it is just as good as most governments aerials and obliques.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous.

This Bear doesn't travel much these days. Back in the day when I was always traveling one of the things I did on a regular basis was to snap a pic of a water tower. I have pics of water towers in North Dakota, Montana, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Maine, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire. They are thrown in a showbox somewhere upstairs. Must check them out.....and "plan" some sort of disobedience.

Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous.

PS - Numerous pics of the Mackinac Bridge. Oh oh....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Two of the most famous photographers of all time Bernd and Hilda Becher deticated their careers to taking pictures of infrastructure. Many think their images are quite boring, but they provide a very good typology of industrial buildings and infrastructure in a very interesting time period.

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/95

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I find this amusing. I think it probably has a little to do with some officials feeling that they are doing something to stop terrorism. But I really don't think blowing up a small town water supply is going to be a priority for much of anyone.

We are extremely worried about everything now. I get chased every time I take a picture of a building within our community. Usually people think I am taking pictures of their car license plates, even though I am aiming up...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Re water towers a friend who is a retired architect fotoed a local town's water tower calamity.

Seems they wanted to elevate it to get more pressure, so they hired somebody to start jacking up one leg at a time. He told them it would tip over but they would not listen. He was there when it did. Luckily it hit no people but did land on a guy's garage and damaged his cherished antique, a '55 Chevy Bel-air.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Not good

This is the kind of thing that get's people thrown in jail while visiting a tin-horn dictatorship and developing nations that have coups every week.

Put up a sign that says anyone "suspicious" taking photo's of sensitive infrastructure is subject to questioning by police.

The Department of Homeland Security is SO tightly wound up on the anti-terrorism stuff right now. One of our local DHS representatives recently asked us to directly relate a flood control class funding request to securing our borders and anti-terrorism efforts. Needless to say, we really couldn't make the connection.....so his supervisor had to confirm that FEMA related training is still eligible for funding.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am just thinking of how many pictures must be out there of the Water Tower at the Detroit Zoo. There must be tens of thousands of them on the Web alone.

Kind of silly.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I am just thinking of how many pictures must be out there of the Water Tower at the Detroit Zoo. There must be tens of thousands of them on the Web alone.

Kind of silly.
    Especially after Sept 2008 when an anonymous benefactor donated a gazillion dollars to have it "rebranded."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 05 Apr 2009, 12:20 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 10:47 PM
  3. Design Friendly Utilities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Jul 2002, 8:20 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Aug 2001, 5:55 PM