Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Older AICP for hire...

Registered
    Sep 2010

Older AICP for hire...

I have had an amazingly low response rate to job apps that I was really well qualified for lately. All other things being equal, is age descrimination alive and well in the Planning profession?

How would they be aware of your age if they were only responses?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by James Nieto View post
    I have had an amazingly low response rate to job apps that I was really well qualified for lately. All other things being equal, is age descrimination alive and well in the Planning profession?
    Ummm It is is a tough economy for anybody looking for a job, even more so for older folks. Agencies/Private firms have specific wants and needs. If your applying for an asisstant planner gig or something well below your skill set, then yes, you probably are being discriminated against. More so because you might be deemed a "know it all" versus an age thing.

I will stress this again. It's an employers market. They can be picky for the "right" person. Good luck.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I have found the planning profession has discriminated on any number of factors: this person didn't go to the right school, that person doesn't have enough planning practice in that speciality, this person doesn't have the right internship experience, etc. etc. This happened long before the recession. Raf and I both had college diplomas but have faced more competition against planners with MUPs even though we have the same experience.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you actively looked for a job? Can you tell us more about your background, training, and experience?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think older planners have a higher expectation of pay. If you were willing to accept Planner I or Planner 2 pay I would imagine someone with more experience would do well. Even then some departments fear people with too much experience because they feel they are a flight risk. It is a tough economy right now, and it is that way for everyone across the board.

Good luck in your job hunt.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How do you hire?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Apr 2011, 4:42 PM
  2. Is it difficult to hire?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 04 Jan 2008, 7:45 PM
  3. Where do older planners go
    Career Development and Advice