Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Corrective actions and mentoring

Registered
    Aug 2005

Corrective actions and mentoring

How much mentoring do you include in your discussions with staff when they have acted improperly? I don't want to just reprimand them but I also don't want to patronize them with, "communications with community groups is important because..." I can feel them rolling their eyes internally (as I would probably do). On the flip side, I also want them to understand that I'm not just being a b*tch.

Do you offer explanations in your corrective counseling?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I always give an explanation. Maybe not a ton because you want to stay away from patronizing, but at least some explanation. Also, I tend to give recommendations for how to avoid the problem in the future (try to be constructive, rather than just being a referee blowing a whistle).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 24 May 2013, 1:44 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Nov 2007, 9:58 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Sep 2006, 1:20 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Sep 2003, 9:20 AM
  5. Segway - State Legislative Actions
    Transportation Planning