Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would you apply for this job?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Would you apply for this job?

Look at the last page of this application. They ask you to list your "Social Site Information." Would you have to list Cyburbia? This, to me, seems overly intrusive.

http://www.jacksonvillebeach.org/adm...x?DID=703&DL=1

Would you apply for this job if you had to list your social site information?

Time for discussion and comment.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I would leave it blank. Particularly sites that are either anonymous or where my security settings are so high they would never find me

But, frankly, I don't believe that information is any of their business. Speaking of which, I have to get drug tested in a few days. Makes me feel like a real winner to be drug tested 4 times per year, let me tell ya.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Probably not, but if I had no choice, I'd leave it blank; it's none of their business.

I'm thinking they were told it would be a good idea to ask for this information from some HR consultant, citing a case where a municipal worker somewhere had a few compromising photos in their Facebook profile, and a local sensationalistic news outlet ran with it for a story during sweeps week.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would leave it and the other voluntary information blank.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This discussion sounds familiar. Anyways, I would be happy to arrange an information exchange. I will provide my social media information in exchange for their social security information, bank accounts, login id's and passwords.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    Wow........I'm honestly shocked that this would be included. It's really the same as asking what non-profits or religious groups or whatever you belong to. I hate to say this, but I think the ACLU needs to look in on this. Seriously.

It's one thing for an employer to Google a prospective employee (which I've done), quite another to require to know that person's "online" identity.

We are definitely living in very interesting times.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I would leave it blank.......
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Probably not, but if I had no choice, I'd leave it blank; it's none of their business.......
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I would leave it and the other voluntary information blank.
    I agree with you. But the way I'm reading it, you can't leave it blank. Only the ethnic background question is voluntary. If you leave the rest blank, you could be disqualified from consideration for the position. Crazy. Unless I'm misunderstanding the page.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    It appears that you have to provide the info. However, under the race/ethnicity section, it states "this form will be detached". The social networking section is on the same page. This is not logical; but neither is most of the application.

Do you currently have a High School Diploma or GED?
    Um, no. I lost it in a fire.

I will never give out my Cyburia handle.

I recall one application where I was asked to release any records from psychological professionals...did not apply to that one.

I have reviewed applications where the voluntary racial/ethnic info was stapled to the full application and not detached as stated.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Recent article on this:

Is It Legal To Use Social Network Data When Hiring
    http://www.inc.com/howard-greenstein...en-hiring.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Look at the last page of this application. They ask you to list your "Social Site Information." Would you have to list Cyburbia? This, to me, seems overly intrusive.

http://www.jacksonvillebeach.org/adm...x?DID=703&DL=1

Time for discussion and comment.
    I would fill in N/A or 'none', as the entire page is entitled 'voluntary information'.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I would leave it blank. Also it would lead one to wonder if they are looking for my picture and a possilble elimination based on ethnicity, gender or age when they look at the picture.
    I seriously doubt that this would be a good place to work.
    The culture appears to be draconian

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I cannot believe that nobody is commenting on the most interesting aspect of this: They are asking for your MySpace profile! Who still uses MySpace? Welcome to 2004 Jacksonville Beach!

Oh, I'd leave it all blank as well. If I were worried about it disqualifying me, I would just make up a fake email address and say that's the one that the accounts are associated with. And if they call me out on it, I would tell them that my privacy settings are set so that NOBODY that I do not pre-approve ahead of time can view any aspect of my profile.

What about activity on networks that have nothing to do with the job at hand? Do they want to know what's happening on my fantasy football league's message board over at CBS Sports?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    I might check which sites I use, but I sure as heck aren't giving them the e-mail addresses associated with them (I'll give them the one where they can contact me, but that's it). Do they want my password, too!? I think if they just want to know if I am comfortable with those tools, that's one thing, but it looks like they want to go poke around on your pages and that's not cool.

WhoseSpace?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Most planners' names will come up in Google searches; there will be links to staff reports, newspaper articles, employee lists on municipal Web sites, and so on.

FWIW, a couple of years ago, I applied for a job in suburban Dallas. I got an email from the city asking me to answer 20 questions, most of them about leadership, team-building, and the like. It was very Texan. However, there were a few questions that made me think twice about wanting to work for them.

6. When we conduct a comprehensive background and reference check, what are we going to find in your background that you think warrants additional explanation?

12. What will we find in a Google search of press coverage that may be controversial in your background?

19. Please provide an affirmation that you have disclosed all issues, instances and details that if they came out might be embarrassing or awkward for the city about your past.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This is why - as much as I want to - I will never facebook. I don't have any problem giving them my LinkedIn stuff (boring) and I would be foreced to just deny my Cyburbia connection in the interest of privacy.

It's wrong to the core, though, that they ask. Do they want to know who my wife's family is? Do they need to know that my neighbors get a little loud when they come over to barbecue?

I put it to you, Jacksonville Beach HR: Who the hell do you think you are? I don't have a lot, but you won't take my dignity just to put me to work.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I understand everyone's concern about an employer or potential employer poking around in their private affairs. I can also understand the employer's desire not to walk into a bear trap, hiring someone who has potentially embarrasing or compromising content out there in public view, or even semi-public view as things tend to be forwarded and shared so easily. They would not want to seen as behind the curve in finding out about your past.

I'm sure they'd much rather be in a position to respond to questions from the public or the press with, "We knew about such-and-such prior to hiring that person, this is the explanation they provided, we were satisfied that such-and-such is not an issue" in contrast to the appearance that the public/media has more thoroughly researched their employees than they have.

It is probably not a bad idea to remember that what you do, say, and post "out there" isn't necessarily private or limited to the people you give permission to see it. What you say can be used against you.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I understand everyone's concern about an employer or potential employer poking around in their private affairs. I can also understand the employer's desire not to walk into a bear trap, hiring someone who has potentially embarrasing or compromising content out there in public view, or even semi-public view as things tend to be forwarded and shared so easily. They would not want to seen as behind the curve in finding out about your past.

I'm sure they'd much rather be in a position to respond to questions from the public or the press with, "We knew about such-and-such prior to hiring that person, this is the explanation they provided, we were satisfied that such-and-such is not an issue" in contrast to the appearance that the public/media has more thoroughly researched their employees than they have.

It is probably not a bad idea to remember that what you do, say, and post "out there" isn't necessarily private or limited to the people you give permission to see it. What you say can be used against you.
    Aside from asking for questions about felony convictions (which they do at the time of application) , this seems more like the kind of thing you might look into after you have decided to offer the position to someone, not during the application process. Like calling references. I know someone who worked on the Obama transition team and he had to go through this kind of vetting, but only after they said they wanted him. His problem was that his name is a rather common one and some of the folks that share his moniker did some very bad things. So, he had to jump through a lot of hoops to prove he was not they.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I put it to you, Jacksonville Beach HR: Who the hell do you think you are? I don't have a lot, but you won't take my dignity just to put me to work.
    Perhaps they are getting arrogant or something because it is a total, utter, complete employer's market.

But you have to wonder: if they hire someone [ _______ ] enough to fill in this voluntary information, and that is an important criterion for them, are they really a) that great to work for and b) going to get the best candidate?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post

I think the prevaling view is that, yes more info is out there, but this jurisdiction is pouncing on that just because it could be there. To me, it's like saying "we need to check every written letter/email/post, etc you have done" but it's OK since it's a "social" site which is possibly open to everyone. Even though many social sites can be restricted to "friends" so not everyone can read about what a moron your boss is. I think it's pretty damn debatable for hiring unless they can collect every written word you've ever produced.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Aug 2011, 3:02 AM
  2. How soon should you apply while still in school?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Dec 2010, 2:13 PM
  3. So should I apply?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 4:42 PM
  4. Should I apply for this job?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 29 Oct 2008, 6:47 PM