Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Market oriented vs public oriented planning schools

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2010

Market oriented vs public oriented planning schools

Hi!
    I would like to know your opinion about US urban planning schools and their focus.
    Is it market oriented urban planning? or, Is it public planning oriented?
    Is it possible to define urban planning schools in terms of market vs planning?
    I look forward to hear from all of you,
    thank you

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'd say SUNY - University at Buffalo, my alma mater, is a good hybrid of both. Macroeconomics and microeconomics were required courses, along with systems and methods labs that emphasized economic development. I also took an excellent course on financing real estate development. This was in the late 1990s, though, and the program may have changed since then.

I worked as a planner for four years before going back to grad school. Learning about market forces, and their impact on development, planning and the built environment, made me much more grounded and analytical as a professional.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2010
    Interesting!
    I am studying at UNC-Chapel Hill and we have been talking about it in class.
    That is why I wonder if it would be possible to "classify" schools in that manner.
    Is it your planning school SUNY part of a school of architecture? or is it part of social sciences? I understand that even though planning schools can be part of a department of architecture, it does not mean that are design oriented. On the contrary, I understand that planning schools differ a lot from the architecture counterpart. is it true?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Oct 2012, 1:42 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Sep 2007, 10:23 AM
  3. Student-oriented apartments
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 12 Jul 2006, 11:57 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Apr 2004, 10:25 AM