Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Acquisition / relocation funding

Registered
    Nov 2006

Acquisition / relocation funding

Hey gang - need some assistance/advice here.

In short, I'm in the process of working on a massive acquisition and relocation project (CDBG-funded). Whereas most of the funding will come from CDBG, there will be a major gap in funding due to the current economy. There is no way the locality can foot the remaining bill.

That being said, is anyone aware of any grant programs that address acquisition and relocation? (There seems to be a bunch of money for housing rehab/weatherization, etc. but none for a&r). At this point, we would need roughly $1 million to complete half the project and $3 million to complete the whole thing. We looked at Hazard Mitigation money from DHS but that is only for floodplain properties, of which this is not. Would my best try be for pleading from local, private organizations/foundations?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, guys!

It's a long shot, but maybe Neighborhood Stabilization funding.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    We have a federal lead grant that allows for relocation and a NSP grant that allows for acquisition. The grants are around but don't come up often. I'd say NSP is your best bet.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I think you are going to have a hard time layering the CDBG and NSP funds and staying within the confines of each program. As far as other sources, I am not aware of any other than those mentioned unless you have some sort of mechanism at the state level. On a side note, I will say we avoid relocation like the plague. It is messy and expensive and budgeting for it appropriately is difficult. Not to mention the recordkeeping for monitoring purposes. We have explicitly written it out of our RARAP for our rehab programs. We are a fairly young City that is only 40% built out which gives us this luxury though.
    Good Luck!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    If it's in a TIF you can use that money for acquisition. If not, perhaps you could establish one in the area, though it would take a lot of time and money. Project-based TIF's are pretty common in some places, such as Chicago. Not sure how the TIF laws work where you are, though.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2003
    How rural is it? Rural development?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 12:53 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Jun 2009, 2:17 AM
  3. Parkland acquisition plans
    Make No Small Plans