Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Vampire Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Vampire Thread

Maybe it is because Halloween is nearing, or maybe it was being reminded by Steven Colbert that crosses do not work on Muslim vampires, but I have been thinking a lot about vampires lately. It all started with a simple question. Is it possible to take a picture of a vampire?

Obviously, you could not do so with a 35mm SLR, as they use a mirror to project the image onto the film. In the old days you could use this technique to determine if someone was a vampire. Let's say your car broke down and you walked to the only castle around. You had suspicions about the aristocratic owner. You would simply take his picture, wait until you have finished the roll of film, send it off to be processed, and in a few days view the results. Of course, having waited a few days, you might have already joined the ranks of the undead.

Since you can view the picture instantly, digital cameras could make it far easier to test whether somebody is a vampire. Or would they? Since there is no mirror in the camera, would a vampire's image appear?

I have also wondered whether it is possible to kill a vampire with a stake made from recycled plastic lumber. It seems like a more environmentally friendly product than wood, and I would like to practice sustainable vampire population thinning.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mrs. Maister became something of a vampire maven ever since she first saw David Boreanaz flex his undead pecs So I get to hear a lot of commentary on vampire books, movies, and tv shows around home With that in mind, I would suggest that whether a vampire's photo could be taken or not would depend on which vampire universe we're talking about. It makes a difference whether it's a Brahms Stoker, Joss Whedon, Anne Rice, or Stephanie Meyer vamp in question. Some turn into bats, some can't see their reflection, some have to be staked in the heart, some not. So it all depends.

I once saw a CSI episode where a murderer devised the (almost) perfect weapon - a frozen hamburger bullet! So along those same lines I prefer to stake my vamps with ice stakes.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I once saw a CSI episode where a murderer devised the (almost) perfect weapon - a frozen hamburger bullet! So along those same lines I prefer to stake my vamps with ice stakes.
    That's cold of you-sorry it had to be said. I've never gotten the appeal of vampires except for Kate Beckinsale in Underworld
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Maybe it is because Halloween is nearing, or maybe it was being reminded by Steven Colbert that crosses do not work on Muslim vampires, but I have been thinking a lot about vampires lately. It all started with a simple question. Is it possible to take a picture of a vampire?

Obviously, you could not do so with a 35mm SLR, as they use a mirror to project the image onto the film. In the old days you could use this technique to determine if someone was a vampire. Let's say your car broke down and you walked to the only castle around. You had suspicions about the aristocratic owner. You would simply take his picture, wait until you have finished the roll of film, send it off to be processed, and in a few days view the results. Of course, having waited a few days, you might have already joined the ranks of the undead.

Since you can view the picture instantly, digital cameras could make it far easier to test whether somebody is a vampire. Or would they? Since there is no mirror in the camera, would a vampire's image appear?

I have also wondered whether it is possible to kill a vampire with a stake made from recycled plastic lumber. It seems like a more environmentally friendly product than wood, and I would like to practice sustainable vampire population thinning.
    I never understood the "not able to see a vampires reflection in a mirror" thing. I mean, why can you see them with your own yes and not in a mirror? Do your eyes not process an image based on focused reflected light off of an image? If you can see them with your own eyes but not in a mirrow, doesn't that imply that the vampire is either an illusion or that you are hallucinating?

Nevermind. I'm confusing myself.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Let's say your car broke down and you walked to the only castle around.
    So you got caught with a flat? Well how 'bout that. Well babies, don't you panic

Registered
    May 2004
    I like vampires. But i like witches even getter
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    which vampire rules are we playing with here?

Twilight rules? (glistening in the sun and reflecting?)
    Vampire Dairies rules? (can go out during the day and night and can't tell they are a vampire)
    True Blood Rules (can't go out during the day and disintegrate in the sun, however can get picture taken and get to bang hotties like sookie stackhouse?)

These rules obviously make a huge differience in being able to make a person if they are a vampire or not (especially "true blood rules" since you can just order "true blood" at any bar).
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Vampire Dairies rules? (can go out during the day and night and can't tell they are a vampire).
    Vampire Dairies? Is this like the Chik-fil-a cows on Halloween?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Vampire Dairies? Is this like the Chik-fil-a cows on Halloween?
    Um no. That meant to say Vampire Diaries.

See below:

That's all i need to say
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

True Blood

This Bear is a big fan of HBO's True Blood. If being a vampire means I can bite Sookie's neck, turn me now.

Bear

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    which vampire rules are we playing with here?

Twilight rules? (glistening in the sun and reflecting?)
    Vampire Dairies rules? (can go out during the day and night and can't tell they are a vampire)
    True Blood Rules (can't go out during the day and disintegrate in the sun, however can get picture taken and get to bang hotties like sookie stackhouse?)

These rules obviously make a huge differience in being able to make a person if they are a vampire or not (especially "true blood rules" since you can just order "true blood" at any bar).
    NO, NO, NO! I mean REAL vampires, not movie ones!

(Yes, my family does come from the Transylvania region.)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 5:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
  4. Replies: 23