Urban planning community

Poll results: What's the dress code at your workplace? (Pick the one closest to what applies)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Business formal: suits, button-down dress shirts, ties, etc or the female equivalent

1 2.56%
  • Business moderate: slacks, button-down dress shirts, ties, etc or the female equivalent

7 17.95%
  • Business casual: khakis, button-down dress shirts, ties optional, or the female equivalent

8 20.51%
  • Business informal: khakis, collared shirts (button-down, polo, etc), or the female equivalent.

18 46.15%
  • Neat: clean jeans, collared shirts, or the female equivalent

3 7.69%
  • Neat casual: clean jeans, non-collared shirts without printing, or the female equivalent

0 0%
  • Informal: jeans, presentable t-shirts with printing, or the female equivalent.

0 0%
  • Anything goes: jeans with holes, Ed Hardy/Affliction/douchebag shirts, whatever.

0 0%
  • I'm a student, or I don't work right now.

2 5.13%
  • Hey, Dan, you forgot ...

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your workplace's dress code

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Your workplace's dress code

At the first job I had out of grad school, for a county government, the dress code was fairly informal; generally, jeans were allowed, but collared shirts were recommended. When we met with planners for one city government, they always were dressed in business formal wear; full suits with ties and button-down dress shirts.

I found that dress codes for larger municipalities tend to be more formal than for smaller municipalities, and less formal for counties than for cities. What's the workplace dress code like where you are?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Just business causal - dress pants, button down (tie optional), dress shoes.

Last muni was business moderate - dress pants, button down shirt, tie required, dress shoes.

Also, I have always felt that business moderate for women is to me much less dressy than the male equivalent.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Suit and tie, everyday. The exception being Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day when khakis and golf shirts are allowed for obvious reasons.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I would have a hard time saying. Technically, I think it's "business casual". But (now ladies, take it easy) some of the stuff the women wear cannot possibly be considered "business" anything. Not all of them, certainly, but...well you know what I mean. The men look boring and the women look good...but not "business".
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Most of the time I work from home so Jeans and Shirt go. Depending on the client I am going to see it depends, sometimes business formal - sometimes business casual. When I go to the company HQ the office tends to be a mix between Business Casual and Business Moderate, probably depending on if there are any meetings going on.

Something I've noticed in the south is a small variant to the business formal which is the substitution of khakis for dress pants but with a jacket, button up shirt, and tie. This is the usual for most county through state offices, unless you are meeting with lawyers or other governor's officers, then it is usually full matching suit.

I am assuming slacks means black, gray, fitted pants no khaki variants.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It varies based on what we are doing (public meetings, etc.) and can be a bit more strict, but day-to-day we are business informal and occasionally crossover into "Neat."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    At my last job it was Neat. Even for public workshops we would "dress down" on purpose.This included no tie for reasons like "we want to make sure we are one of them". Basically, look like you are going out on a friday night date.

Even though i am pushing 30, i still look like i am fresh out of college with little to know facial hair. So i do wear ties to work probably 2 or 3 days out of the week simply because i want people to take me seriously. Although i do sometimes look like i came strait out of a banana republic ad
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Business moderate - We wear ties everyday except Friday. Friday's we wear dress shirts, but no ties. Days that we have any type of official meeting (BZA, Trustees, ZC) we wear suits.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Business moderate here. They even go so far as to require long sleeve dress shirts throughout the summer. I much prefer wearing short sleeve dress shirt with ties (even if it would make me look like a tool, at least it's comfy!)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Where I work it depends on the department and your pay grade. Most professional level women dress business moderate while the men seem to get away with business casual, even though we are officially business moderate. We are never allowed to wear jeans or anything too casual looking. For any presentations or big meetings I usually wear a jacket.
    Last edited by beach_bum; 04 Oct 2010 at 1:21 PM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2007
    For a reference point, I work in a county planning/economic development department with about 50 - 60 employees in a large suburban county...

I voted "Business Informal" but if you work in the back and rarely deal with the public, you can get away with much less. Most of our business development reps dress in a suit (or the female equivalent) most days but other. I normally wear khakis and a button up shirt or polo shirt if the weather is nice and until a few weeks ago only rarely wore a tie (I don't own an actual suit that fits anymore). But when I was cleaning out my closet recently, I decided I had a lot of nice wool dress pants so I've decided to at least step that part up a little bit. Now I am trying to find a couple sport coats for myself to wear to work (I'd still feel a bit overdressed in a suit in my position). I've never seen an actual written dress code for our staff.

However, we do have Thursdays and Fridays as casual days where, for $1 each day, you can wear jeans (we can actually get away with jeans everyday, but only Thursdays and Fridays are officially sanctioned jeans-days). Some of the folks, especially a few of the women, seem to take casual day to a whole new level on occasion though. My wife, who works at a stodgy accounting firm came into my office one Thursday to go to lunch with me and was amazed at what some of the people were wearing. Of course, her firm is business formal all the time unless they get specific instructions NOT to dress that way from whatever client they are meeting with.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I set my own dress code so normally it's business informal Monday-Thursday, and neat on Friday unless I already have a meeting scheduled for that day. In that event, it depends on whether it's a first meeting or with an established client.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Business casual M-T, Jeans and golf shirt on Fridays.

I can count on one hand the number of times I wore a tie to work last year...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2007
    "Business Informal" M-Th, but "Neat" on Fridays.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 04 Oct 2010 at 1:44 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    At the outlying suburb where I interned, it was generally business casual, although during the summer, I could get away with business informal (polo instead of button-down).

During the winter, I would sometimes wear a sweater instead of (or over) a button-down shirt. Also, during the holidays when hardly anyone would come into the office and/or it was snowing out, the dept. head gave us permission to wear jeans.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Considering where I live, it's polo shirts and khakis with dress shoes. One day a week, polo shirt, jeans and tennis shoes
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    On a typical day it's khakis and a polo shirt except on Friday's when it's jeans and a polo shirt unless I have an important meeting. If I have a REAL important meeting or conference where most people dress formally then I'll pull out the suit, but that rarely happens.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Suit and tie, everyday. The exception being Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day when khakis and golf shirts are allowed for obvious reasons.
    And you look good.

I checked Business Informal, because that's what's described in our handbook, with instructions to change into field clothes for working in the field. The code isn't enforced. I wear jeans and a collared blouse (sweaters in the winter), with either clean sneakers or loafers. I keep my boots here and change into them for field work.

Younger co-workers wear jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts, and the others wear jeans and polo shirts. I think that I look more professional wearing a collared blouse.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    sounds like the norm - slacks/khakis and a button down or polo during the week - "clean" jeans and button down or polo (sneakers allowed) on Fridays - unless you have a meeting with groups or committees, then it button down, tie and sport coat.

I keep a tie on the coat rack just in case of a surprise or forgotten meeting.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    And you look good.
    Well then, I need to start hand delivering permit applications on a regular basis.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Largely business informal with Neat on Fridays. Mostly it depends on what each of us doing that day and if we have meetings.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Private sector (for a frame of reference) - business moderate in our Atlanta office - I'm generally in slacks and a button-down long sleeve shirt....I guess half the men in the office on a given day will have on a tie as well. The partner in charge of the office is usually wears slacks and a golf shirt (it's good to be the King). We'll have five or six Fridays a year when you can give $5 to a specific charity in return for getting to wear jeans.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Most of the time I work from home so Jeans and Shirt go. Depending on the client I am going to see it depends, sometimes business formal - sometimes business casual.
    Ditto. Other consultants assume that because I work out of my home, I wear pajamas ... but I stick to a morning routine, and come to work having showered and dressed, thank you very much.

I had an interview with a potential client yesterday, so I wore a suit. I try to wear what is most appropriate depending on the situation (site visit vs. formal meeting) and the client.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We have a real mix. There are some offices in the building that wear jean everyday. I probably could wear colored jeans, not blue jeans, everyday. My dress depends on what I am doing. If I am going out in the field then I dress in jeans. I wear alot of dresses in the summer.

If I have to go before the commissioners I tend to dress a bit nicer althought some of them come in jeans. It is a really mixed bag.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I picked business moderate, because that's usually what management goes for, while rest of staff is business casual.

I personally won't wear suits unless I have something that warrants it. First of all, I freeze all year long (not enough heat in the winter, and too much a/c in the summer) and a jacket is just not comfortable to work in.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Muslims and modest dress (hijab)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Mar 2006, 1:03 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 10:40 PM
  3. How to dress for this event?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22