Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you fit a stereotype

Registered
    Feb 2004

How do you fit a stereotype

Everyone seems to go to lengths to profess how they somehow don't fit the mold, stand apart from the herd, are unusual, unique, or otherwise NOT a stereotype. I thought it might be interesting to do the opposite and look at the attributes you possess that do somehow match a stereotype (religious, racial, profession, age, socioeconomic, or any other demographic you can think of).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I cannot jump.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Though the first rule of hipsters is that you never admit you are one... I actually exhibit enough of the visible traits that I might get labeled as one for first impressions:
    strong interest in indie alternative music and culture
    preferred fashion style tends to lean hipster (vintage/eclectic style, though not consistent)
    tendency toward organic food products and at times become an accidental vegetarian
    environmental consciousness & tendency toward liberal political views
    somewhat militant about recycling
    bicycling (I almost bought a single-gear bike, which would have been icing on the cake)
    snobby beer drinker (almost always buy micros), though I won't touch PBR

The traits of that subculture that I'm missing include
    no parental money involved
    no hybrid vehicle
    no Apple computer
    don't live in a loft apartment or gentrifying area
    I don't call bands I like "sell-outs" when they actually achieve commercial success
    While I like true indie music, I dabble outside of it with some punk and harder rock genres

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Stereotypical signs: I drive an American SUV, I wear polo shirts, I am interested in investing and securities, I have a fenced-in 1/4 acre property, my parents helped my through college, I like nice clothes and am brand-conscious.

Non-stereotypical signs: I like indie music, I live in a small town, I like Aussie football, PBR and Sol are my beers of choice, I don't play much golf, I love four-wheeling but not hunting.

This is fun!
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Well, let's see...I enjoy hockey, curling, am knowledgable about American politics and culture, quick to point out faults with America, drink Sleeman's, talk endlessly about the last Winter Olympics, polite to a fault, always being apologetic......if I didn't know any better, I'd say I was nothing but a stereotype! Sorry.
    Canada is a place of infinite promise. We like the people, and if one ever had to emigrate, this would be the destination, not the U.S.A. The hills, lakes and forests make it a place of peace and repose of the mind, such as one never finds in the U.S.A.
    -- John Maynard Keynes

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wear wire rim progressive len glasses.
    Drive a '04 Saturn Ion 4 door.
    Vacation down at the Jersey Shore.
    Card carrying member of AARP.
    Last edited by JNA; 05 Oct 2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    On the parental automotive side, my wife and I are certainly in the "sensible parent car" stereotype.

She has a Chrysler minivan for carting the boys around and I drive a Taurus station wagon. And once we replace the Taurus, I'm actually comtemplating getting a second minivan (newer one for my wife and I get the older one)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The radio in my Subaru is tuned to NPR.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004

helicopter parent in training

Let's see, our only child has playdates 'scheduled', signed up for two different 'enrichment-type' (soccer and swimming) classes, gets lots of one on one time with mom and dad, mom and dad volunteered to participate in several PTA-sponsored events....

Registered
    Jul 2006

smart @$$

I enjoy witty repartees that employ sarcastic, sardonic, and otherwise pithy humor.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I drive a Mercury and can tell you it was made in Chicago Il on the South Side, even drove it by the plant so it could say hi to its momma.
    I drink Vernors Ginger Ale and have been known to bypass Lays for Better Mades.
    My Hot Dogs have chili.
    My house was broken into.
    I have more books and maps than one man should have.
    My Garmin does not work well with my car, but it don't need to. I bought it so I don't end up on a 12 mile hike after taking a 30 mile kayak trip earlier in the day.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The type of my stereo? It's a 15+ year old Technics...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The type of my stereo? It's a 15+ year old Technics...
    That's awesome......

I don't think I fit into *any* stereotype, I'm probably hybrid. Probably why I get along with so many different types of people.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I am my f*cking khakis. I am the contents of my wallet. I am a beautiful and unique snowflake, just like everybody else.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Urban planner stereotypes: Biking is my favorite form of physical fitness and alternative transportation; I have like 200 maps and every road atlas from the past 15 years; I enjoy Planning magazine and miss them when they don't get delivered; I like riding the bus and wish that there were fixed-routes in my suburban area; I prefer khaki over black; blue is one of my favorite shirt colors; I live and used to work in the epicenter of planning, the Chicago area; I like commerical development and transportation; I draw fictional cities; I enjoy taking photographs, especially of landscapes/cityscapes.
    Stereotypes I do not fit: I do not smoke pot; I consider myself a conservative Republican; I drive a Ford rather than something foreign and new; I enjoy mainstream culture rather than indie or trendy.

Conservative stereotypes: I watch Fox News all the time; Framed photo of George & Laura Bush in my room; Framed photo with Speaker Hastert and Mitch McConnell; Lots of books by Coulter & Hannity, and books about great GWB was and how bad Clinton was; card-carrying NRA member; gun owner and shooting enthusiast; was a mover and shaker in the college, local, and state levels of the Republican party; live in a suburb; am Lutheran (the conservative version, not the liberal version); friends with about a dozen War on Terror veterans; Toby Keith and Ted Nugent are my cultural heroes; I drink Jack; I love the American flag.
    Stereotypes I do not fit: While I'm a church-goer, I'm not a bible-thumper and I think people that go to megachurches are a little cooky; I don't listen to Rush or any talk radio for that matter; I want to be an urban planner; I care about the environment and conservation; I see a need for government of some sort, especially local & state, just not an inflated federal one; I live in the Chicago area.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2002
    From the outside observer I would be a Stuff White People Like made flesh and bone... Only with guns, power tools, and sort-of-libertarian politics.

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Framed photo of George & Laura Bush in my room; Framed photo with Speaker Hastert and Mitch McConnell; Lots of books by Coulter & Hannity... friends with about a dozen War on Terror veterans; ...Ted Nugent are my cultural heroes
    Sorry, but claiming befriending vets as a conservative sterotype and then listing draft-dodgers and chickenhawks as your political and cultural heroes is just... Wow, that is a doozy.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Sorry, but claiming befriending vets as a conservative sterotype and then listing draft-dodgers and chickenhawks as your political and cultural heroes is just... Wow, that is a doozy.
    But isn't that bit of irony a conservative stereotype in and of itself?

Use whatever prejorative term you want, but yes, you are correct, many of the leaders of the modern conservative movement typically have not served, yet at the same time are more supportive of the troops, defense spending, and the war effort than the Left (i.e. John Kerry). And stereotypically, more of the people that fight (or fought) these wars (or have loved ones that do/did) tend to vote 'R', with possibly the exception of Vietnam, despite the fact that many of the leaders of the conservative Republican movement did not serve. Sorry, but that's just how it goes. I guess Republicans value a politician's support of the troops and winning a war moreso than that politician's personal history.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Off-topic:
    ahem... two little things...

Conservative stereotypes... Toby Keith and Ted Nugent are my cultural heroes...
    Toby Keith, circa August 2008: "I think he's (Obama) the best Democratic candidate we've had since Bill Clinton. And that's coming from a Democrat."

...many of the leaders of the modern conservative movement typically have not served, yet at the same time are more supportive of the troops, defense spending, and the war effort than the Left...
    Sorry, but I have to call bullshit here. Please do not conflate support of the troops with defense spending because the correlation there is tenuous, at best. Consider the amount of defense spending driven by special interests to Pentagon pork like the F-22, a completely redundant aircraft in modern American warfare. Republicans like projects like this, because companies like Lockheed Martin in turn dump tons of change into their campaign coffers. The $70 billion wasted on the F-22, in my opinion, would have been better spent providing quality mental health services, extended leave, etc to those currently serving. However, conventional wisdom like your own leads some to believe that Democrats like Obama are anti-military for wanting less war. Tell that to the vets with PTSD that, thanks to legislation pushed through by Obama and the Democratic Congress, don't have to go through an extended process proving involvement in traumatic combat scenarios just to convince the DVA that there might be some lasting mental effects from engaging in extended warfare.

My former boss, 30 years in the Marine Corps and still a Colonel in the USMC reserve, once wisely told me that there is no pro/anti-military divide between Republicans and Democrats. Republican administrations tend to get hung up on having the biggest weapons and things that go boom the loudest; Democrat administrations tend to defund what they see as excessive spending on special programs but are, on balance, better at providing for those out there fighting the war. My former boss would say that the pendulum of politics is an important factor in maintaining balance between the two. One might have a philosophical discussion about which approach is better or more important. However, the misconception that Republicans spending more on war equates to being "pro-military" is so fallacious and widespread, it makes me want to vomit with rage on a regular basis. Rant over.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Hey kalimotxo, do you have anything substantive to contribute to this thread other than personal attacks and things that have nothing to with the thread topic? I believe the thread title was "How do you fit a stereotype?", not "let's attack illinoisplanner because of what he thinks and derail the thread".
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Hey kalimotxo, do you have anything substantive to contribute to this thread other than personal attacks and things that have nothing to with the thread topic? I believe the thread title was "How do you fit a stereotype?", not "let's attack illinoisplanner because of what he thinks and derail the thread".
    Dude, I'm not attacking you. I don't know you other than what you post here, much of which I disagree with and 95% of the time I hold my tongue. But if it makes you happier, I'll frame my off-topic comment within the framework of the thread.

I fit the stereotype of a left-leaning but politically independent skeptic in the following ways: I hate it when either party claims some mantle that is way too broad to fit in either platform. It especially irritates me when self-described conservatives claim 1) some sort of moral/value-based pedestal or 2) superior support of our country's armed forces. Similarly, as someone who was taught (by a Republican father and politically disengaged mother) to think for himself, I speak up when people make ridiculous claims that strike either of those nerves.

This may be a "fun" thread, but the second someone starts talking about politics (or geopolitics, among other things like religion) in such stark terms, it isn't fun anymore. Biscuit called you out, too, which shows that you struck more than one nerve. So perhaps instead of trying to make me out to be the one derailing the thread, you should think twice before making such blanket statements on topics that you are well aware will elicit serious reactions. Our national defense is no joke, and any suggestion that one's political affiliation speaks to his or her dedication to the military is something that I will not abide. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I stand by what I said.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    Dude, I'm not attacking you. I don't know you other than what you post here, much of which I disagree with and 95% of the time I hold my tongue. But if it makes you happier, I'll frame my off-topic comment within the framework of the thread.

I fit the stereotype of a left-leaning but politically independent skeptic in the following ways: I hate it when either party claims some mantle that is way too broad to fit in either platform. It especially irritates me when self-described conservatives claim 1) some sort of moral/value-based pedestal or 2) superior support of our country's armed forces. Similarly, as someone who was taught (by a Republican father and politically disengaged mother) to think for himself, I speak up when people make ridiculous claims that strike either of those nerves.

This may be a "fun" thread, but the second someone starts talking about politics (or geopolitics, among other things like religion) in such stark terms, it isn't fun anymore. Biscuit called you out, too, which shows that you struck more than one nerve. So perhaps instead of trying to make me out to be the one derailing the thread, you should think twice before making such blanket statements on topics that you are well aware will elicit serious reactions. Our national defense is no joke, and any suggestion that one's political affiliation speaks to his or her dedication to the military is something that I will not abide. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I stand by what I said.
    kalimotxo, you're blowing this way out of proportion. Sure biscuit initially had an off-topic comment, I responded, and that's that. You don't need to pile it on and continue to derail the thread, like you are right now, what with your under-handed attempt at being topical which turns out to be nothing more than additional sarcasm. This thread is meant to list how you fit a common stereotype (stereotypes, things which we know are commonly-held beliefs but aren't always true!). And this thread specifically elicited comments about race, religion, socioeconomics, or any other demographic (which I assume could also include politics). You're right, it was meant to be fun, not an opportunity to tear down the social or political beliefs of those that are different from you. Sure, the stereotype that conservatives are more supportive of the troops isn't always true, but it is a common stereotype! And that's why I included it. Lighten up.
    -Steven Tyler

Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post

I had the exact same thoughts.

As for what stereotypes I fit into.............um, I'm a 23-year-old man who thinks Sundays are best spent drinking beer and watching football. I like going really fast on the highway...........So I guess I fit into a lot of 23-year-old male stereotypes. But I'm definitely not some dumb jock or whatever.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Moderator note:
    There is no need to start picking apart people's lifestyle choices and personal beliefs in a simple "tell us about yourself" thread. kalimotxo, would you like to tell us how you might fit a stereotype rather than just picking on another person's response?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm a "stuff white people like" kinda girl. I balance that out by working in the 'hood.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2002
    illinoisplanner missed the opportunity to point out the spelling and grammatical errors of my off-topic post. There's an obvious Southern stereotype in there.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 15 Sep 2004, 12:25 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 21 Mar 2003, 5:34 PM
  3. Which dyke stereotype are you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Oct 2002, 10:27 AM