Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World's Biggest Losers (at least for today)

Registered
    Dec 2008

World's Biggest Losers (at least for today)

As promised...

Planet of the Apes avatar (thanks for pointing this out, Maist.)

Spent a significant portion of last Saturday evening debating the merits of an "Avengers" movie with my nephew. Lost the debate. I have to admit that.

Spent the rest of that evening pumping my brother (nephew's dad) for details about his trip to Savannah. He's into the history, I'm into the planning. Frazier and Niles.

I cry when Karen Carpenter sings. Buckets.

I'm wearing a short-sleeved white dress shirt today. It was the only one I wouldn't have had to iron. The cool people I know use dry-cleaners.

I am habitually 10 to 15 minutes late for everything.

Spent last evening being the go-fer as my Father-in-Law repaired the brakes on my minivan. Which is burgundy. And old.

I could go on, but do I really need to?

Oddly, I'm very happy with myself in general.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    World's Biggest Losers
    Oddly, I'm very happy with myself in general.
    Wonder if I qualify ?
    No wife, not even an Ex-;
    No children & No child support;
    No debt, not even a mortgage;
    No pets;
    No drinking or smoking, don't even go out much at all;
    No new car, it's 6 yrs old & needs new tires & they don't make it anymore;
    No DVR or such thing;
    No cell phone;
    No ATM card;
    and over 50 y.o.

EDIT: forgot to add -
    short, balding, wear glasses.

when in a hole stop digging.
    Last edited by JNA; 05 Oct 2010 at 2:25 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hah! You think you're a loser? I'm a bigger and better loser than you are for the following reasons:
    - I'm so shamelessly competitive that I would even compete over who can be the biggest loser

- my house is furnished almost entirely with inherited/donated furniture.

- my idea of wild fun is growing rutabegas instead of carrots

- my wife wins 99% of our arguments

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO.
    C'mon ursus, whydontcha just boldly take the initiative and start a new thread instead of this namby pamby Random Thoughts business? What are you some kinda LOSER?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

- my house is furnished almost entirely with inherited/donated furniture.
    Mine too. My wife and I call our decorating style "Acceptance". Or if we want to sound sophistacated "Eclectic Acceptance".
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I wanted to join this thread, but all you are so cool...

I am a loser because -

- I like technical jargon
    - I would rather watch a documentary than a "real" movie
    - I like to smell wine almost as much as I like to drink it
    - My wife is more the traditional "man" in our relationship (she makes more than me, I cook, clean, and do the laundry)
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Yup, you're all a bunch of losers. You all tie for first place.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Drove 45 miles one way yesterday to photograph a historic home that has a narrow relation to my personal family history. Found it, yanked out the Nikon and tripod, set up, took light readings, and ... nothing. Dead battery.

Where do I pick up my trophy?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Maybe I'm in denial but I don't think I'm a loser overall (and henceforth probably shouldn't be posting in this thread). For those that know me, and disagree, let me live with my denial However, there are a few things that qualify me to join this clubbe:

- I have spent a total of ten hours the past week picking weeds. Out of my lawn. I can provide my defense, but pretty sure while it's rational to me, it won't help my case.

- I was married to a loser (hahahahaha).

- I choose to spend a lot of my free money buying books and plants for my landscaping.

- I got dumped on Saturday.....

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post

- I have spent a total of ten hours the past week picking weeds. Out of my lawn. I can provide my defense, but pretty sure while it's rational to me, it won't help my case.

- I was married to a loser (hahahahaha).

- I choose to spend a lot of my free money buying books and plants for my landscaping.

- I got dumped on Saturday.....
    Come on, Come on - get in here for the group hug...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I used to do this too, now I am evil and use Weed-B-Gone. My neighbors forced me into it as they would do nothing with thier weeds and these would spread to my yard. I am even generous and spray thier lawn with it too to keep em the heck away!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm 23, live with my parents, don't have a job, and don't have a girlfriend anymore. Last year, I had my own place, had a job (internship), and had a girlfriend, though...does that make it any better? Or does that actually make it worse?

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm still relatively young and I'll find a job eventually and the economy will pick up after the November elections. But that still doesn't change the fact that I've felt like a loser for much of 2010.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Okay, I just caught myself singing the Superwhy song out loud to myself while heading back from lunch.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Okay, I just caught myself singing the Superwhy song out loud to myself while heading back from lunch.
    "Superwhy and the ....Super readers....."

Want me to sing the Thomas and Friends theme song?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Want me to sing the Thomas and Friends theme song?
    We don't watch Thomas and Friends...I am advised that show "is for babies" (whereas Superwhy is cool).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We don't watch Thomas and Friends...I am advised that show "is for babies" (whereas Superwhy is cool).
    Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog... I have had this in my head for weeks...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, I guess that is the difference between having a 5yr old and a 3yr old, eh?

Honestly, I like Thomas and Friends perhaps due mainly to my affection for scaled model train sets (until recently when they animated the entire show - not just the people and train faces).

But everyone has to agree that Curious George is pretty sweet regardless of one's age.
    Last edited by mendelman; 14 Oct 2010 at 4:30 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Well, I guess that is the difference between having a 5yr old and a 3 yr, eh?

Honestly, I like Thomas and Friends perhaps due mainly to my affection for scaled model train sets (until recently when they animated the entire show - not just the people and train faces).

But everyone has to agree that Curious George is pretty sweet regardless of one's age.
    Personally, I prefer Bob the Builder. Bob and his crew constructed an energy efficient sunflower processing facility in one episode and an environmentally-friendly straw bale home in another episode. They appear to portray many of the technical details concerning construction techiniques accurately (or at least as well as anthropomorhphic construction vehicles with eyes and mouths can realistically portray) And who among us can't relate to the building inspector ("...let's see...roof? check. Walls? check. Floor? check. Looks good, Bob!")

Registered
    Dec 2008

Curious George is just fine, but I think I enjoy Word-Girl the most. Maybe even more (sorry, Maist) than Super-Why and the Super Readers.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I prefer to watch "Jane and the Dragon", sometimes in Spanish just for variety.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Oh, you're killing me. Jane and the Dragon. While not bad, I find the animation irritating because everything is so.....texturized. Now the good animation is on Jacob Two-Two....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh, you're killing me. Jane and the Dragon. While not bad, I find the animation irritating because everything is so.....texturized. Now the good animation is on Jacob Two-Two....
    Jacob Two-Two? I find their stylization too artsy fartsy for my tastes (although I adore the Canadian accents). As animation styles featured on Qubo go, my favorite is found on Willa's Wild Life. Very Shag-inspired and I happen to like Googie architecture too (which abounds in that show).

Registered
    Nov 2009
    um... i have no idea what you people are talking about. I guess that means I'm safe! I'm not a loser after all

Registered
    May 2005
    Come on gentleman........you're all a bunch of losers...

Now that I got that outta my system, I'm gonna go watch me some Backyardigans.

Riding the range, riding the range. Let's go riding the range. Yahoo.
    Last edited by btrage; 14 Oct 2010 at 4:00 PM.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Jacob Two-Two? I find their stylization too artsy fartsy for my tastes (although I adore the Canadian accents). As animation styles featured on Qubo go, my favorite is found on Willa's Wild Life. Very Shag-inspired and I happen to like Googie architecture too (which abounds in that show).
    Discussing the finer points of these shows is proving much more meaningful than with my bunch of kids. They just stare at me blankly, or tell me it's hard to have a nerdy, nerdy man for a father.

I agree about Willas' Wild Life, especially regarding the architecture (and those elephants with the strained, neurotic voices - classic)...but if you DIS Jacob Two-Two again I'll have to fight you.
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Now that I got that outta my system, I'm gonna go watch me some some Backyardigans.

Riding the range, riding the range. Let's go riding the range. Yahoo.

So does all this mean that if you have kids you end up a loser?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    So does all this mean that if you have kids you end up a loser?
    You don't end up a loser dandy. But you definitely go through a phase of being not completely awesome.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Biggest Regret In Life
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 30 May 2012, 12:45 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 12:47 PM
  3. Biggest Party
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 Feb 2007, 9:21 PM
  4. Sports Stadiums----Winners or Losers??
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Sep 1999, 7:41 PM