Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CD's vs digital music

Registered
    Aug 2007

CD's vs digital music

Not a real heady or intellectual topic. I just downloaded the new Kings of Leon as well as some Modest Mouse on my iPod touch from iTunes. It got me thinking when was the last time I purchased a physcial CD. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. Most of my cd's are burns from my iTunes, my new car has both a cd player and a port for my iPod.

So what say you Cyburbia community, when is the last time you bought a CD? What is your feeling about digital music?

I would create a poll but I have had a few too many beers tonight.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is still stuck on CDs. Although it has been awhile since my last purchase, I will be placing an order this week.

I have a HUGE CD collection. CDs fit my lifestyle, where I listen. I like big and powerful speakers (for loud rock and roll ). (Yes, those are available with digital....but why change?)

My collection of "records", including 33 rpm, 45 rpm, and 78 rpm (LPs) is well over one thousand. I am slowly converting my favorites from records to CD. I won't change....but.....does listening to internet radio count? Heh heh heh.....

Katie has an I-Pod and she loves it. She downloads some tunes from the internet and rips some tunes from my CD collection. Me? No way.

Old & In The Way Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's been maybe 3 or 4 years since I've bought a CD. First it was downloading and burning to CDs and then we got the first iPod Shuffle for the kid, then I got a Nano, and she got a Touch as a gift, and I now have an iPhone. I've given pretty much all of our CDs away after transferring the songs we wanted to our iTunes library. It's interesting to see the demise of brick and mortar "record" stores due to the digital revolution. I remember as a kid going to Tower Records to browse the records and later CDs...somehow browsing the iTunes store just ain't the same.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I still buy CDs, and like Bear Up North, I have an extensive record collection, too... though I refuse to buy CDs to replace albums I already own.

My husband has an iPod Touch and uses it extensively, downloading songs and albums from iTunes. But I really like having a CD.

I always loved searching through bins of albums at the record store! I still miss the excitement of ripping the plastic off a new record and checking out the liner notes, artwork, lyrics, etc. inside. You don't get that experience with CDs. Album cover art is a lost art form.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I have not bought a CD in over 6 years and even than, i did it more to "support" the artist more so than anything else. My CD buying days peeked in the summer of 1999. Than in the fall it feel off the charts thanks to a university T3 connection, a thing called napster and an irc client. I bootlegged songs, cd's, etc for over 5 years because i was a poor college student. I started downloading digital music legally in 2003 when i purchased my first ipod (2nd generation 15gb). I just don't see the point of CDs, although i will be one record to say i have purchased more LP's lately. Over the last two years i have bought a few LPs (Jack Johnson's Sleep through the Static, and Coldplay Viva La Vida). Both came with digital downloads. IMO LPs just sound better than CD and i love the nostalgia connected to them even though i was raised in the cassette era.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I stopped buying CDs in the mid 90s and even then I don't think I had more then 30. At the time I listened to a lot of classical music and dance music. I would dub radio music or cassete music onto cassetes (man, I haven't used the word dub in years!). I also checked out CDs from the library. In college, I listened to alot of streaming radio music, including some stations on MSN and Live365. I have used napster and some other similar programs. Pandora and grooveshark are pretty reliable. If I have company over now, I just use Comcast's music stations as background.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I still buy CDs and I guess that's weird for someone who's in their early 20s. Actually, most of the time, the CDs are bought for me, since I ask for them for Christmas. However, the CDs I buy/receive are typically only from the genres of music I'm truly interested in...primarily hard rock, classic rock, and alternative. Also, I'll buy CDs from any other artists in other genres that have good music, a lot of hits, or a really good album that's actually worth buying because every track is good. Granted, I'm not buying nearly as many CDs as I used to. A lot of the CDs I'm buying now are mainly in an effort to complete a collection...trying to collect every studio or live album from the bands I like the most. And when these bands come out with new albums, I still go out and buy them. As of now, my CD collection (which began in 1993), now is somewhere between 200 and 250 albums.

However, I also do my fair amount of purchasing at the iTunes store. On average, I probably buy about 40 songs a year. Many of them are recent pop or rap hits, a few recent rock hits, and some older stuff too, mainly when I only like 1-3 songs from a particular artist, and not interested in going out and buying a whole album from them. iTunes is great for parties...go out and buy a bunch of hits to mix into the collection without going broke doing so.

I've also been known to "rip" CDs that my family or friends own on to my computer, or at least the good tracks. I've also done the same thing with a few CDs I've borrowed from the library. Yeah, it might be illegal, but it makes for a really well-rounded playlist. And in the end, someone paid for the music (my relatives, the library, etc.), so it's not like I'm really stealing.

As far as what I actually listen to more...I put all my music on my computer and when it's working well, I typically listen to a lot of music on there. My computer is also what I use when playing music at parties...I have a jack which I plug into a stereo system and pipe the music through there. Because of this, I never use the CD player on my stereo system now...it's become obsolete. I also have a CD player in my car and use it everytime I'm driving...I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore...just CDs. I also had an MP3 player which was great for going to class, traveling, and so forth, but it broke and so I use my old portable CD player when traveling and just go without listening to music on the way to class. Times are tough...I probably won't be getting an iPod or anything to replace it anytime soon.

And when it was the thing to do in the early 2000s, I did download stuff from Napster and Kazaa. The thing I especially loved about those systems is that you could often find live stuff, rare recordings, and so much cool stuff that isn't out on CD. And I was also a fan of making actual mix tapes or recording stuff off the radio onto a cassette back in the 90s. I also love record albums. My parents have a good collection and it's always fun to play them. And if I see a record album at the store from a band I like and it's reasonably priced, I will often purchase it and add it to the collection.
    Last edited by illinoisplanner; 26 Jul 2009 at 4:21 PM.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Picked up a CD yesterday. At a Good Will; it's labeled Hawaiian dance party music. Has Iko Iko on it.
    A couple weeks back I found one with most of the best college fight songs (performed by the U-M band, conducted by Prof Revelli).

Admittedly my uses are not those of the average music consumer. I have a variable speed CD player which comes in handy at gigs. I like being able to read a tray card and see how far into a piece we are (how much music is left).

And I have been known to burn compilation discs with extended cuts (made with an edit program) so that I'll have music long enough for the most extreme Virginia Reel. (One time, done at a vets home, with wheelchair users and Civil War folk.)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I only buy CDs. Have refused all efforts to convert me to downloading. I like having the music physically there. I enjoy looking at the musicians artistic expression through their album cover and booklet.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    My collection of "records", including 33 rpm, 45 rpm, and 78 rpm (LPs)of "records" is well over one thousand. I am slowly converting my favorites from records to CD.
    Off-topic:
    Bear, would you consider selling any of your 78s? I collect them.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    umm tell this luddite why CDs are not digital music?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    umm tell this luddite why CDs are not digital music?
    Valid point, CD's are digital. I was meaning more of a physical form, i.e. going to a store and physically picking up a CD to purchase.

I love CD's still, but having hundreds to thousands of songs at my fingertips on my iPod is a lot more convenient and much more portable.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'm just over 30 and still buy CD's. I don't even own an I-Pod, though I bought my wife one a few years ago and she loves it. Considering my car has a 6-disc changer and that's mostly where I listen to music, I see no real reason to change. Plus I have about 250+ albums on CD from when I started collecting when I was teen and in college in the 90's-early 2000's. I probably only buy about 2-3 CD"s a year now, though.

Once Napster came out I while I was in college I downloaded thousands of songs so have enough mp3's to last a LONG time, too. Plus people shared them over the school networks (till they banned it because it was killing their servers) and I picked up several thousand songs that way, too. Those were the days.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    CD's as a music format are nearly dead. They will remain as a format for a long time, just like vinyl.

However, the digital format is king, and with today's storage technology, will continue to get better. I have my entire music collection sitting on my desk. Its 321 gigs, 7,772 folders, 67,341files. Uses Orange CD for the database and has all of the cover art as well. The nice thing about that is I can use the Orange CD to add notes without messing up the cover art. The nice thing, is that with the price of the portable drives, I have 3 of them. Each drive is backed up on to at least 2 others at all times. The chances of all 3 being wiped out in 3 different locations at 1 time is really rather small.

With a portable drive you have something that is not only tangible but also more practical.

For the few vinyll nuts who still say that it sounds better, the new format that is now starting to enter into the fray are .FLAC files. These are huge files but with any number of 1.5 Terrabite drives hooked into a computer and as portable as a harry potter book, the file size is of little worry. This file carries all the audio range and more that vinyl is supposed to and more with no hissing and popping.

CD's are to limiting.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't acquire too much new music these days. When I do I buy CD's. I have hundreds CD's, as well as hundreds of casette tapes, and hundreds of 33's/45's on vinyl. I've never actually downloaded music off the internet(s) but did copy several mp3 files (and burned a disc) off a friends computer once.

On an entirely unrelated matter, I just got another invoice from the phone company for a bill that I already paid. Looks like I'm going to have to contact Western Union again and send a telegram advising them I've already paid!
    Last edited by Maister; 27 Jul 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I think we are at a tipping point where when you go to the average mall there are no longer music stores. Even large category killer stores such as Borders or K-mart have sharply scaled back their CD selections.

It could be that the music industry can adapt to selling songs one at a time, but if it can't it will be in a world of hurt. They may be shooting themselves in the foot, as many times the B side songs are as good as the A side. For you whipper snappers, that refers to the other song on the 45 rpm, or songs on the album that never got much play.

Perhaps this is a good thing, because it will eventually mean the a lot of lesser quality songs won't be able to compete, but it will also keep a lot out of the marketplace. It could end up cannibalizing the industry.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm still big on Cds- is it any cheaper to download songs? Last time I checked out the online sites it was still about a $1 per song or so and downloading an album was pretty comparable to buying a Cd off the rack.

Remember the Napster days when music was free and plentiful?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I'm still big on Cds- is it any cheaper to download songs? Last time I checked out the online sites it was still about a $1 per song or so and downloading an album was pretty comparable to buying a Cd off the rack.

Remember the Napster days when music was free and plentiful?
    The Kings of Leon album I bought from iTunes was $9.99, the list price for the CD is $16.98, but Best Buy and Target both have it for $9.99. I think the big thing that has convinced me to begin buying more from iTunes is the fact that all their music is DRM-free, which means I can burn it to a CD with little to no hassle. Before iTunes went DRM free you had to convert all your purchased songs to MP3 by using software from a second party, it was a big PITA.

I was in high school during Napster's heyday, those were the days!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I still buy a lot of CDs but most of them I buy used off of Amazon or Half.com. I did however buy a brand new one Sunday - a new live album/DVD from The Hold Steady. I think the fact that it came with a DVD documentary helped influence my purchase. It was the first new CD I had actually bought in a brick and mortar store in a very long time. I had bought a few other new CDs this year, but nearly all of them were bought directly from the record label or the artist and usually because they included something else with them (a free bonus CD or a t-shirt or a book, etc.).

I also download a lot of music. I have a monthly subscription to the emusic.com website which allows me to download 70 soungs for a monthly fee (all DRM free) and I also use iTunes for music quite a bit too. And then of course there are the less-than-legal sources.

Over the years, I have built up a collection of about 3,500 CDs. I cannot see myself stopping buying CDs entirely anytime soon. I enjoy having the physical form with the liner notes and the artwork. I also like the way they all look stacked up in the giant bookcase (or CD-case) that I am building in my den.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I like CD's but don't buy many. Nationwide peak I've read was '99 for CD sales. I love my MP3 player, especially for working out in my woodlot. Bought my daughter a Zune with the transmitter for the car radio.

I remember when 8-track was the latest greatest and we could listen to "Purple Haze" sitting in the car down by the river drinking beer. That was a hi-tech wonder.

Registered
    May 2004
    cd's are obsolete.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I buy cheap CDs at Walmart or the used CD store and rip it to my iTunes all the time. At times, it's still cheaper than downloading. I bought an old "Journey" CD for $7 a couple of months ago as opposed to the $9 to download it from iTunes.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries
    Since I bought a new turntable, I buy vinyl exclusively. Most new albums are released on vinyl (at least for the artists I listen to), and there are tons of great deals on older records. The difference isn't only in the sound quality, but the combination of the large album artwork, the needle, the spinning platter and the experience of placing the record on the turntable and having to turn it over when the side finishes. It's like you have to "work" to hear the music, but in that process, I find I listen more deeply, so the songs become more of an experience rather than just a background soundtrack while I'm doing something else.

I don't find too many other people in my demographic who even consider vinyl a viable formate - even at home. I guess I'm a bit different.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by southern_yank View post
    Since I bought a new turntable, I buy vinyl exclusively. Most new albums are released on vinyl (at least for the artists I listen to), and there are tons of great deals on older records. The difference isn't only in the sound quality, but the combination of the large album artwork, the needle, the spinning platter and the experience of placing the record on the turntable and having to turn it over when the side finishes. It's like you have to "work" to hear the music, but in that process, I find I listen more deeply, so the songs become more of an experience rather than just a background soundtrack while I'm doing something else.

I don't find too many other people in my demographic who even consider vinyl a viable formate - even at home. I guess I'm a bit different.
    My only complaint with vinyl used to be that if I wanted to buy it in that format, I had to buy extra equipment in order to transfer the songs to my iPod if desired... and try as I might, I just cannot find an armband that will support the weight of a turntable and hold the needle steady while I run in the mornings! Luckily, within about the past two years or so some of my favorite record labels (like Sub Pop and Drag City) began offering codes to digitally download the songs if you bought them on vinyl.

I think I have also read that vinyl sales are actually on the rise over the past couple of years (but they are still minuscule compared to mp3 or CD sales).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2006
    Blog entries
    The turntable I have has a USB port so I can record directly to my PC. The sound quality isn't as good as iTunes downloads, but it's good enough.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Digital billboards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Oct 2012, 11:49 PM
  2. Analog or Digital?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 28 Jan 2008, 10:33 PM
  3. Digital Cameras