Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transitional housing parking requirements?

Registered
    Oct 2010

Transitional housing parking requirements?

We have an application for a use variance for transitional housing (parents with children) in an urban area. Since the use is not permitted anywhere in the city, there are no directly applicable parking requirements. In reality, the housing will not create a significant parking demand as most of the clients will not have cars, so I am hesitant to recommend that the board consider using boarding house standards (the closest permitted use) as that would result in more parking that the use would require. I was wondering if anyone can point me to any parking standards for transitional housing that I might be able to use as a basis for recommending less onerous requirements?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't have specific standards to point to, but it seems to me you're on exactly the right track; the likelihood of anybody meeting the requirements for TH having a car or two to park is about zero. I wouldn't have thought boarding house parking standards would be very stringent. Sorry. I checked with the zoning at the nearest local TH building around me and it was a retro-fit, and they already had parking like any other apartments.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 3:56 AM
  3. Housing rehab program eligibility requirements
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Dec 2005, 1:22 PM
  4. Parking Parking Requirements
    Land Use and Zoning