Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Resolution writing

Registered
    Jun 2005

Resolution writing

I'm sure I'm not the only one who must write resolutions for adoption by various boards under your purview. Writing in this kind of stilted legalese has always felt unnatural and it's definitely a specialized skill that I've had to develop on the job. If you write resolutions as part of your work, how did you improve at it, and do you have any advice to impart as far as writing resolutions that make a modicum of sense when viewed by the layperson? Granted, these are specialized documents intended for a specific audience, but if a member of the public submits a FOIL request to see a resolution that I've written for X project, I'd like that resolution to be as readable as possible to avoid any confusion. Thoughts?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    .... but if a member of the public submits a FOIL request to see a resolution that I've written for X project, I'd like that resolution to be as readable as possible to avoid any confusion. Thoughts?
    All I can say is, good luck. Most municipal lawyers I've worked with don't really like the KISS principle.

When in doubt, add a couple more WHEREFOREs and BE IT FUTHER RESOLVEDs.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I write them all the time and I keep it simple (which I guess is not liked?) Of the 50 or so I've written in the past 3 years most have just been copied from older ones with a few names, dates, and other information changed. It's like a publishing a public notice... the format is the name and only a bit of info is changed.

Is there a specific difficulty you have with these or has your lawyer been on your case about them?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Nope, no specific difficulty, I'm just trying to make them less cryptic because I hate the way a lot of municipal resolutions tend to be written. Any resolutions that I write get vetted by the department director before the staff lawyer ever sees them, but the fewer redlines the resolutions get from my boss, the better as far as I'm concerned.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Resolution
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Dec 2006, 8:33 AM
  2. Conflict resolution
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Jun 2005, 6:50 PM
  3. Is this a fair resolution?
    Friday Afternoon Club