Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Afraid of Heights Bridge

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

New Afraid of Heights Bridge

Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge or the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...e-opening.html

HIGHLIGHTS:
    The second-highest bridge of any kind in the United States The tallest is the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado
    and 14th in the world

890 feet above the Colorado River
    Who has been to Hoover Dam ?

Would you walk across to look at the dam ?
    once the bridge opens, the only walkway will be on the Hoover Dam side.
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/-bridging-a...4.html?ref=624
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have walked across the Royal Gorge Bridge. Never again.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have walked the Hoover Dam, looked over the side. I was not freaked-out in the least.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I have walked the Hoover Dam, looked over the side. I was not freaked-out in the least.
    But then again, you live in Detroit.

This bridge might freak the bejeebus out of me.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I hate bridges in general irregardless of how high they are. Unless I would absolutely have to, you wouldn't find me on that bridge.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am not a huge fan of heights. When I was in Sydney I had the opportunity to go up the Harbour Bridge. I passed.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I love bridges. I'd walk across any of those posted here. I'm really interested in that one Dan posted, the Milau Viaduct... it's more than 1,100' high... that's almost a quarter mile!

I remember when I was little and we were visiting relatives in Florida and driving across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and my dad pointing out why half of the other span was missing. My sister immediately started freaking out. I thought it was one of the coolest, albeit gruesome, stories ever.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I love bridges. I'd walk across any of those posted here. I'm really interested in that one Dan posted, the Milau Viaduct... it's more than 1,100' high... that's almost a quarter mile!

I remember when I was little and we were visiting relatives in Florida and driving across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and my dad pointing out why half of the other span was missing. My sister immediately started freaking out. I thought it was one of the coolest, albeit gruesome, stories ever.
    I love bridges too. In fact, I find high places in general exillerating. My favorite bridge (aesthetically) is the Mighty Mac, but funnest to be on would have to be the Royal Gorge hands down.

Maybe it's a jarhead thang.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'd love to do it, just like the glass walkway in the Grand Canyon. I can remember going over bridges and looking down whenever I got the chance, it's very cool.

Growing up we'd go over the Sunshine Skyway frequently. Now however, my mom can't drive across it anymore and will look down at a magazine as she rides over it. Just freaks her out now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    But then again, you live in Detroit.

This bridge might freak the bejeebus out of me.
    The first time I saw a picture of that one, I thought it had been photoshopped.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I'd love to do it, just like the glass walkway in the Grand Canyon. I can remember going over bridges and looking down whenever I got the chance, it's very cool.

Growing up we'd go over the Sunshine Skyway frequently. Now however, my mom can't drive across it anymore and will look down at a magazine as she rides over it. Just freaks her out now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge
    The Mackinac Bridge authority will, at no additional charge, provide a driver to guide your vehicle across should you be too freaked out to do it yourself. I heard a few years back that it is not at all uncommon for big, burly and fearless big-rig truck drivers to be reduced to the quivering masses, ending up in their rigs' sleepers, while bridge authority guys are doing the driving.

This service is available 24/7/365, just tell a tolltaker (southbound) or call them from a callbox on the side of I-75 (northbound) and they'll be right over.

As for the Hoover Dam bypass, there is strong chatter in the road and transport forvms that I follow about a strong push from those in the general area to have at least the Phoenix. AZ-Las Vegas, NV section of the US 93 corridor upgraded to a full interstate ('I-11'?).

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    The Mackinac Bridge authority will, at no additional charge, provide a driver to guide your vehicle across should you be too freaked out to do it yourself. I heard a few years back that it is not at all uncommon for big, burly and fearless big-rig truck drivers to be reduced to the quivering masses, ending up in their rigs' sleepers, while bridge authority guys are doing the driving.
    One of my brothers used to be a wrecker driver who specialized in hauling heavy-duty loads - mostly large earthmovers and other timber and mining equipment. He crossed the Mighty Mac on numerous occasions and it never really phased him but he said that it's totally understandable because when driving certain large trucks, especially the "over-the-top" varieties, the drivers are positioned in a manner that they can see straight down into the water through the grid of the bridge. And to make it worse, certain truck drivers, dependent on the weight of the load and number of axles, have to stare down for the entire trek to ensure that their wheels are constantly moving along the girders under the grid and not on the portion without the girders directly under it.

I guess the real danger for those with super heavy loads is not being blown off the bridge, but actually falling through it!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I guess the real danger for those with super heavy loads is not being blown off the bridge, but actually falling through it!
    And yet I have never heard of anyone falling through since the bridge was built over 50 years ago.

A few vehicles (mostly smaller cars) have, however, been blown off (TRUE). The occupants plunged to their icy deaths in the cruel waters of the Straits of Mackinac. The moments leading up to their deaths must truly been harrowing. Imagine reaching terminal velocity as the surface of the water zooms rapidly towards you. The dead weight of the certaintly of death sitting dense in one's gullet all the while. One's heart stuck in their throat....[/freaking out the acrophobes]

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

A number of vehicles (mostly smaller cars) have, however, been blown off (TRUE). The occupants plunged to their icy deaths in the cruel waters of the Straits of Mackinac. The moments leading up to their deaths must truly been harrowing. Imagine reaching terminal velocity as the surface of the water zooms rapidly towards you. The dead weight of the certaintly of death sitting dense in one's gullet all the while. [/freaking out the acrophobes]
    The number is only one -
    In 1989, a micro-sized Yugo car was blown off the bridge during a windstorm.
    It is believed the sport utility vehicle that went off the bridge in March 1997 was a suicide.
    http://www.northernexpress.com/edito...es.asp?id=2490
    http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...6/m/6861960029
    Oddball

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I hate bridges in general irregardless of how high they are. Unless I would absolutely have to, you wouldn't find me on that bridge.
    considering I know where you live, that's gotta be hard to be you!

My sister is the same way - me, I can lean over the Rainbow Bridge and walk across the TappenZee (sp)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    One of my brothers used to be a wrecker driver who specialized in hauling heavy-duty loads - mostly large earthmovers and other timber and mining equipment. He crossed the Mighty Mac on numerous occasions and it never really phased him but he said that it's totally understandable because when driving certain large trucks, especially the "over-the-top" varieties, the drivers are positioned in a manner that they can see straight down into the water through the grid of the bridge. And to make it worse, certain truck drivers, dependent on the weight of the load and number of axles, have to stare down for the entire trek to ensure that their wheels are constantly moving along the girders under the grid and not on the portion without the girders directly under it.

I can tell you from personal experience that a ride across that bridge on a motorcycle in the rain is "interesting". Crosswinds coupled with expansion joints that are slippery when wet make for a wild ride. Fortunately, you can avoid the metal grid by staying in the outside lane.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm pretty freaked out by heights, but I would do it for the experience. While I cut off the circulation to my wife's left hand...

For some reason, the fears have become worse with age. I don't even like walking across the Taos gorge bridge which is a fraction of the width of the GC below the Hoover Dam. Damn!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

I can't wait to walk the bridge by Hoover Dam I've also walked the Golden Gate, which I thought made me almost as nervous as the Royal Gorge

I like this open minded bridge in Manitoba:
    http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=776
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2005
    When we were at the Hoover Dam i saw that bridge being constructed- it was a pretty awesome sight- i would walk across it no probs!

I have scaled the Sydney Harbour Bridge- but they rope you in and have a gazillion safety measures, so doesnt feel risky at all.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    ... Mighty Mac ...certain truck drivers, dependent on the weight of the load and number of axles, have to stare down for the entire trek to ensure that their wheels are constantly moving along the girders under the grid and not on the portion without the girders directly under it.

This does not parse.

I have walked and bicycled across the Mackinac Bridge several times. There is an open deck in some areas, but the grid is about like snow fencing (maybe 1" square openings). The expansion joints are like interwoven fingers. You could probably drop a pop can through if it was cold (when the openings would be wider) but you'd have to work at it.

Best way to get through a dicey area is to look in the direction you want to go. Trucking, that would be towards your destination on the bidge, not the deep blue H2O beneath.

Here's a view from the top
    Last edited by Veloise; 18 Oct 2010 at 6:03 PM.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Not A Quivering Mass Of Bear

No problem with high bridges. I would love to see the new Hoover Dam by-pass bridge. A few months ago I was exploring the area via Bing Maps. The version that is still up has the bridge in the early phase of construction.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    USA Today Print Headline: America's new wonder a study in superlatives
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ass18_ST_N.htm

HIGHLIGHTS:
    Timelapse video of the new bridge under construction.

Click on Closer look at the bridge
    Oddball

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    BUMP

In Nevada, the Viewing Has Begun From the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge

HIGHLIGHT:
    “You know you’re getting into your late 30s when you come here to see a bridge and Las Vegas is secondary,”

from a driver’s standpoint, the new bridge is nothing special, as all the structural elements are below it, and four-foot-high concrete barriers on either side of the traffic lanes prevent all but truckers from seeing the dam below

On the other side of the sidewalk is a sturdy railing followed by nothingness.

In the late afternoon if the light is right, the shadow of the arch falls across the dam itself.

It’s a jaw-dropping (and for those who are afraid of heights, stomach-churning) sight.
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 2004

How long.......

I'm guessing the first suicide will take place very soon from the new bridge. I'd just like to ask anyone thinking of taking the dive into oblivion to wear clean underwear! I have to drink that water
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I'm guessing the first suicide will take place very soon from the new bridge. I'd just like to ask anyone thinking of taking the dive into oblivion to wear clean underwear! I have to drink that water
    Anyone that still has clean underwear when they hit the water was way too sane to be suicidal.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Aug 2012, 10:18 AM
  2. Another Afraid of Heights Attraction
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jun 2012, 6:40 PM
  3. RUGGED and/or afraid of heights job
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10