Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Life in the statistics household

Registered
    Feb 2004

Life in the statistics household

"Honey, where's the Nutella?"
    "Dear, you should know better. As one of the 78.2% of families earning less than $55,000 a year we're doing all we can to economize on our budget."
    "Oh right. Sorry."
    "By the way, Dear, did you remember we got an invitation to the Williams' house party this afternoon?"
    "Yes, it's sitting on the kitchen table. I was a little surprised to see it was sent by 'snail mail' as 68.5% of interpersonal communications are conducted via email or other electronic communication devices in 2009."
    "I was too. I think I'll be one of the 20.8% of the males who wears a ballcap because I haven't had a chance to clean up and my hair's kinda messy."
    "Oh go ahead and jump in the shower real quick, after all 72.5% of the people that attend parties show up 30 or more minutes after the stated time. I think they call it being 'fashionably late'".....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Maister - I worry about you sometimes...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Maister - I worry about you sometimes...
    Exactly what percentage of the time do you worry about him?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    "Honey, where's the Nutella?"
    "Dear, you should know better. As one of the 78.2% of families earning less than $55,000 a year we're doing all we can to economize on our budget."
    "Oh right. Sorry."
    "By the way, Dear, did you remember we got an invitation to the Williams' house party this afternoon?"
    "Yes, it's sitting on the kitchen table. I was a little surprised to see it was sent by 'snail mail' as 68.5% of interpersonal communications are conducted via email or other electronic communication devices in 2009."
    "I was too. I think I'll be one of the 20.8% of the males who wears a ballcap because I haven't had a chance to clean up and my hair's kinda messy."
    "Oh go ahead and jump in the shower real quick, after all 72.5% of the people that attend parties show up 30 or more minutes after the stated time. I think they call it being 'fashionably late'".....
    I enjoy this because exactly 45.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot. I know at least 99.7% of the time I do it...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I enjoy this because exactly 45.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot. I know at least 99.7% of the time I do it...
    I believe 100% of those I referenced in that dialogue fell into that category.

On a more serious note, don't you just want to strangle people when they throw a statistic out in conversation? You just know they're bs'ing or they wouldn't feel the need to give their arguments the gravity that numbers appear to provide

Registered
    Jul 2006
    On a more serious note, don't you just want to strangle people when they throw a statistic out in conversation? You just know they're bs'ing or they wouldn't feel the need to give their arguments the gravity that numbers appear to provide
    83.2% of the readers of this exchange believe that it belongs in it's own thread. I'm 100% sure of that!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    83.2% of the readers of this exchange believe that it belongs in it's own thread. I'm 100% sure of that!
    Moderator note:
    62.7% of moderators agree. Split from RTDNTOTO

Registered
    Jul 2002

stats

Then there's the standard deviant....

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    Something fishy here, better do a Poisson distribution.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I believe 100% of those I referenced in that dialogue fell into that category.

I find that there are many smart people who do this. I normally either think that they are A.) Too smart for their own good, or B.) Liars.

Even if you somehow remember crazy stats like that... I think it is pompous to always be quoting that stuff. I believe you. I don't need a peer reviewed study of the concept and figures to go with it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    If Tom R is the standard deviant, who is the non-standard deviant? I heard somewhere that 46% of cyburbians feel that non-standard deviants are important too.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    If Tom R is the standard deviant, who is the non-standard deviant?
    Raises hand proudly! But I'm not alone and I think that are several (perhaps 13.3759%) who are several sub-standard deviations further away from the mean. (And we all know who the "mean" is here in Cyburbia, don't we?) RJ

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Household water use
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 10:41 AM
  2. Household redundancy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 26 Jan 2012, 7:26 PM
  3. Replies: 15