Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The (proper) wearing of hats

Registered
    Jan 2005

The (proper) wearing of hats

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I just saw a lady walk by wearing a baby blue sweatshirt with white Michigan State letters I guess I don't understand why someone would shell out for college attire and not even get the school's colors? Well, I'm off to go look for a bright orange Harvard shirt.
    This has always been a pet peeve of mine. They do this for all sports teams now. Pink or blue Ohio State stuff is sacrilege. I guess some girls just don't care about the traditional colors, they just want pink, and will support the team if they make it in pink? Any really girly girls out there care to comment?

I also get annoyed when you buy a hat and don't bend the brim. Or leave the stickers on it. Why?

Moderator note:
    Maister- split from RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 20 Oct 2010 at 5:25 PM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I also get annoyed when you buy a hat and don't bend the brim. Or leave the stickers on it. Why?
    While I do not leave the stickers on hats, when I purchase flat-brimmed hats (such as for MLB or MiLB teams), I generally do not bend the brim. Of course, I usually buy hats that are actually fitted (unlike some, usually the same folks who leave stickers on, who buy one size or so larger than their head), so naturally the bill curves over time to correspond to the shape of my head. I think the natural curve tends to look more natural, since it was formed by use/wear.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    While I do not leave the stickers on hats, when I purchase flat-brimmed hats (such as for MLB or MiLB teams), I generally do not bend the brim. Of course, I usually buy hats that are actually fitted (unlike some, usually the same folks who leave stickers on, who buy one size or so larger than their head), so naturally the bill curves over time to correspond to the shape of my head. I think the natural curve tends to look more natural, since it was formed by use/wear.
    me too and I wear the team colors, no pink

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    me too and I wear the team colors, no pink
    I have one OU hat (out of several) that is woodland camouflage. The rest I try to be as authentic as possible to what is (or has been in the past - i.e. throwback) either on players heads (baseball or football [sideline apparel]) or is simple design or basic logos + color. Also, unless a more authentic hat would be fitted, I prefer adjustable fits.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I use a sports cap like a baseball glove. You get it dirty, you bend it up. It isn't a fedora. It isn't a Panama. It isn't some untouched wonder. I bend the brim the second I buy it. I make sure it keep the sun out and does it's job.

TO at least your reasoning is valid. Many just do it for vanity?!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

My nephew plays collegiate baseball and he's one of those who buys a new cap, leaves the brim flat and the stickers on (he's from south Florida). I asked him why he would do such a thing and he said it looks good. Then I asked if that's the way he wears his cap on the field, to which he said "no of course not." I said "That's my piont dude."

I sent him this link to help him in the future:
    http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflo...erremoval.html
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I don't care how you wear your hat or what it looks like, as long as you remove it indoors (religious headwear excluded where applicable).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004

Speaking of......

Wearing hats just reminded me of the movie Secretariat that I saw this weekend. John Malkovich wears all sorts of funny hats. A decent movie by the way.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I don't care how you wear your hat or what it looks like, as long as you remove it indoors (religious headwear excluded where applicable).
    I don't believe this rule is applicable in all situations. Definitely if there's any semblance of formality in whichever event or building you are in/entering, then yes. But if it's a Saturday afternoon, and you're at the grocery store/mall/sports bar, etc., this rule shouldn't (and doesn't, in most places) apply.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    No man should wear a hat unless he is wearing a uniform.

Two exceptions:
    a) men engaging in agricultural/ranching activities and,
    b) men accompanying blue haired women.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    But if it's a Saturday afternoon, and you're at the grocery store/mall/sports bar, etc., this rule shouldn't (and doesn't, in most places) apply.
    Unless one is on base (then again every film at the base theater begins with the playing of the National Anthem where everyone also immediately jumps to their feet to stand at attention so yeah I guess military bases don't constitute 'most places').
    Isn't taking one's hat off while indoors a carryover tradition dating back to the 18th century? (possibly even older)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Isn't taking one's hat off while indoors a carryover tradition dating back to the 18th century? (possibly even older)
    I'm not sure of it's origins. Some sources have stated it goes back to the 1800's, some back further. I did come across the following fun sites illustrating hat etiquette, since they're (hats) making a comeback and there's a generation-or-so gap of people who did not learn learn property hat etiquette while growing up.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    This has always been a pet peeve of mine. They do this for all sports teams now. Pink or blue Ohio State stuff is sacrilege. I guess some girls just don't care about the traditional colors, they just want pink, and will support the team if they make it in pink?
    Moderator note:
    Maister- split from RTDNTOTO
    And camo. All college teams seem to make a camouflage hats too.

And shirts. You can buy a shirt in practically any color from the rainbow that reads Your School's Name.

I dont get it either...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    All the silly hat etiquette rules is one of the things that contributed to my not wearing of a hat anymore, with the exception of a winter hat when outside when it's cold out. For my first two years in college, I wore my NIU ballcap everywhere. After some old guy b**ched me out for wearing it in a courthouse that was NOT open to the public or in session at the time, I decided it was too much trouble to wear something that could offend anyone at anytime for the silliest of reasons.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I doubt the formal hat etiquette rules were intended for items like baseball caps, since when they were still practiced very few people wore baseball caps regularly - even at sporting events. Look in the bleachers on old baseball photos and you'll see a great deal of people wearing suits, or at least collared shirts, and formal hats like fedoras, panamas, bowlers, boaters, etc. The most informal caps you're likely to see are flatcaps and newsboys.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I would never wear a hat if I followed that rule. Most the time I put the hat on because I don't want to deal with my hair in the morning. This works for most weekends. Hats also act as my sunglasses when I am wear my regular glasses.

Quote Originally posted by ofos
    No man should wear a hat unless he is wearing a uniform.

Two exceptions:
    a) men engaging in agricultural/ranching activities and,
    b) men accompanying blue haired women.
    What about planner attire? Does that count? I wear a hat on weekends, while watching sporting events or going to events, and other random times. I do wear a hat while working on the farm, so I guess that works too.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    And camo. All college teams seem to make a camouflage hats too.
    Off-topic:
    Camo is to the 2000's as neon blue/pink were to the 80's

As far as practical headwear goes I will wear an old Tilley when gardening/doing yard work cuz the broad brim offers superior sun protection, but only wear that outdoors, so the issue of removing it never comes up. As far as fasionable headwear is concerned, I like my greek fishmans cap (and I will on occasion leave it on my head indoors for informal situations)
    Last edited by Maister; 21 Oct 2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: link added

Registered
    Jul 2006
    As far as fasionable headwear is concerned, I like my greek fishmans cap (and I will on occasion leave it on my head indoors for informal situations)
    When it's really friggin' cold, I do have a wool beret that I acquired to play a beatnik for a murder mystery dinner. It's very warm and can be pulled down over the ears if necessary. Also easy to roll up in a coat pocket.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

I'm wearing a ballcap as I type from my office because I've lost much of my hair (to male pattern baldness) and my workspace is under a giant A/C vent blowing cold air upon my pate. I take the cap off when I meet with staff or customers, but would otherwise freeze if I were required to doff the cap for the entire day.

The ballcap is Dartmouth Green with an embroidered white D, fitted (7-3/8), and the bill was manipulated immediately upon purchase to give it a natural rounded edge. (It was not dipped in water and tied around a baseball to dry and give it an artificial arc for the bill, as was popular earlier.) it has the manufacturer's tag inside but any stickers were promptly removed. This description is representative of my collection of ballcaps. I prefer "old-school" caps and refuse to wear say, a camo St. Louis Cardinals' cap.

Because flesh that was once hair-covered at the top of my head is now exposed, I elect to wear a hat whenever I'm out of doors for any length of time, as I seek protection from sun burns and worse.

I do own a boater and several toboggans (which, forgive me, is the idiotic name given by Hoosiers to what the rest of the English speaking world know as wool caps or beanies.)

Generally, I'm wearing a ballcap much more often than I am uncovered. I follow my own dictates about where and when to uncover.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If I'm wearing a hat it's a ballcap form and because I chose not to wash my hair in the morning on a weekend or day off or am going for a bike ride or mowing the lawn.

My hair is unruly and difficult to "fix" unless I completely wet it down, so if I am in a regular retail store or a quick service/fast food restaurant I keep it on.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have a Resistol fedora, beaver xxx, inherited from my grandfather. The $16.95 price tag is inside the sweatband. Since a new one is $3-500 the original tag stays.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    [ot]
    As far as practical headwear goes I will wear an old Tilley when gardening/doing yard work cuz the broad brim offers superior sun protection, but only wear that outdoors, so the issue of removing it never comes up. As far as fasionable headwear is concerned, I like my greek fishmans cap (and I will on occasion leave it on my head indoors for informal situations)

I have a Tilley and love it. Funny thing is, I bought it this summer, and everytime I wear it (which is more or less everytime I am outside) someone never fails to comment, "hey, is that a Tilley?" I reply, "yes." They reply, "I have one too, I love it!"

LOL, now I just sort did that!

Sweet hats - with sort of a odd sub-culture that I am now happy to be part of.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I only will wear hats indoors when:

1. Im painting (paint in hair not such a good look)
    2. Wearing my racing hats/visors/facinators
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 59
    Last post: 03 Nov 2012, 8:22 PM
  2. Hats
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Feb 2010, 2:40 PM
  3. Watch Wearing Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 16 Dec 2005, 8:33 PM