Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm more indie than you!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

I'm more indie than you!

Clear Channel is evil! Their stations would rather play old Journey and Starship songs, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears instead of quality, cutting-edge indiecore/emocore/tweecore bands like Stepping Worm, Speech Beat, Checkered Zombie, Lewis and Clark LLC, The Hazard, Labrador Deceiver, The Red Stormy Guardians, South Austin Death Trailer, Digital Bulldozers, The Cosmic Scoreboards, Red Rocket, The Tainted Poles, The Robert Taylor Project, Brave Nephews, The Wild Molesters, The Vital Plasticines, Don Cherry's Jacket, The Grotesque Soldiers, The Itch, The Stray Shaggers, Los Beammers, King Scissors, The Hidden Wolfram Commanders, Gamma Agents, Cobalt Trombones, The Frozen Vipers, Canyonero, The Vegetables, Balloon Knot, Doggy Snakes, Mellow Sisters, Omega Omega, Brave Pineapples, The Dead Propellers, The Tunas, The Skin Flutes, Full Love, The Mercury Tigers, The Sleepy Giants, The Wild Rangers, Disco Sapphires, The Poseidon Butterflies, The Johnny Fevers, The Universal Remotes, The Shaker Heights Mafia, The Whitey Killers, Teal Generals, The Brigadiers, The Hydrogen Giants, The Rebel Rubber Colonels, Angst Cart, The Texas Ditchdiggers, John Fitzgerald Remedy, Ovum, Silver Shank, The Coalminer's Daughters, Alabaster Ebony, Urban Thrall, The Desert Stevedores, The Planning and Groaning Commission, Rambler '64, Ped Xing, Subcutaneous, Mind the Gap, Lemon, The Trailer Park Philharmonic, The Cigars, The Jewpopes, Frodo Unit, Red Light Green Light, Candy Van, The Crabs, Utah Blue Book, Apartheid, Ransacked Flour, Donkey Show, The Picky Eaters, The Cloudy Mondays, The September Thirty Firsts, The Joy of Concrete, Flow, The Piss Quivers, Tree of Life, Buck LeSabre, Uncle Pauly's Hairpiece, Canker, The Travis County Mutineers, The British Version, Flotsam, Hanglady, Üüüüüü, The Foamers and the King Cnuts.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Boring!

If an artist doesn't have platinum records or if I don't think they ever will (I liked Velvet Revolver before they released their debut because I knew it was going to be a hit), I usually don't bother. I'm anti-indie. Unless it's some local cover band or something.

That's not to say that I like anything just because it sells well or is a hit. It has to also sound good and appeal to my tastes.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Q: How many indie bands does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Ehh...It's pretty obscure, you've probably never even heard of it. ...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Clear Channel is evil! Their stations would rather play old Journey and Starship songs, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears instead of quality, cutting-edge indiecore/emocore/tweecore bands like Stepping Worm, Speech Beat, Checkered Zombie, Lewis and Clark LLC, The Hazard, Labrador Deceiver, The Red Stormy Guardians, South Austin Death Trailer, Digital Bulldozers, The Cosmic Scoreboards, Red Rocket, The Tainted Poles, The Robert Taylor Project, Brave Nephews, The Wild Molesters, The Vital Plasticines, Don Cherry's Jacket, The Grotesque Soldiers, The Itch, The Stray Shaggers, Los Beammers, King Scissors, The Hidden Wolfram Commanders, Gamma Agents, Cobalt Trombones, The Frozen Vipers, Canyonero, The Vegetables, Balloon Knot, Doggy Snakes, Mellow Sisters, Omega Omega, Brave Pineapples, The Dead Propellers, The Tunas, The Skin Flutes, Full Love, The Mercury Tigers, The Sleepy Giants, The Wild Rangers, Disco Sapphires, The Poseidon Butterflies, The Johnny Fevers, The Universal Remotes, The Shaker Heights Mafia, The Whitey Killers, Teal Generals, The Brigadiers, The Hydrogen Giants, The Rebel Rubber Colonels, Angst Cart, The Texas Ditchdiggers, John Fitzgerald Remedy, Ovum, Silver Shank, The Coalminer's Daughters, Alabaster Ebony, Urban Thrall, The Desert Stevedores, The Planning and Groaning Commission, Rambler '64, Ped Xing, Subcutaneous, Mind the Gap, Lemon, The Trailer Park Philharmonic, The Cigars, The Jewpopes, Frodo Unit, Red Light Green Light, Candy Van, The Crabs, Utah Blue Book, Apartheid, Ransacked Flour, Donkey Show, The Picky Eaters, The Cloudy Mondays, The September Thirty Firsts, The Joy of Concrete, Flow, The Piss Quivers, Tree of Life, Buck LeSabre, Uncle Pauly's Hairpiece, Canker, The Travis County Mutineers, The British Version, Flotsam, Hanglady, Üüüüüü, The Foamers and the King Cnuts.
    Sellouts like you disgust me! I much prefer little known bands such as: Frosty Quake, Wail Loudly Mrs. Thompson, Pere Pear, Shewbocks, Trundling Mush, Oh It's You, The Pissy Winklemeyer 5, Shared Concern, The Calm Spuds, Core Value Scream, The Obscure Juvies, Settle Upon a Nut, The Schwings, Sewer Falcons Galore, The Extraordinary Kings, Bat Fasterson, Pepper Me Pepper, Shatter, The Spanish Worms, and My Only Excuse

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm proud of my shirt that says, "I'm so indie I make Daniel Smith look like John Darnielle!"
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Boring!

If an artist doesn't have platinum records or if I don't think they ever will (I liked Velvet Revolver before they released their debut because I knew it was going to be a hit), I usually don't bother. I'm anti-indie. Unless it's some local cover band or something.

That's not to say that I like anything just because it sells well or is a hit. It has to also sound good and appeal to my tastes.
    I can't figure out if you are being serious or not.

In any case- if you are serious, than I am the exact opposite of you for the most part.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Are any of those real or did you just make them up?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Are any of those real or did you just make them up?
    If he made them up- there are some pretty good band names in there

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    If he made them up- there are some pretty good band names in there
    Yeah. My favorite would be "The Planning and Groaning Commission".

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah. My favorite would be "The Planning and Groaning Commission".
    Yeah, I saw those guys before they made it big. Now everyone that shows up to their concerts are nothing but scene people. A bunch of posers. Wannabes. May as well go watch REM if that’s what you’re all about.

For my tastes I’d much rather see: Form of an Ice Ladder, Zan and Jana Elope, The Grocery Bags, Epiphany Pierced, Corrugated Twilight, Shandor and the Ice People, Squalid Tryst, Myron’s Monster Manual, Urgh, Lumpenproletariat Keister, North Tracking Zax, Gricklegrass, North Korean Oatmeal, Blister, Umlaut Kraut, or Summoning Shadows. In other words, artists who have not comprimised their integrity.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I can't figure out if you are being serious or not.

In any case- if you are serious, than I am the exact opposite of you for the most part.
    I am very serious. That's not to say I will never like an indie band (like, if a friend were to turn me on to a decent indie hard rock band that plays original music). I just myself don't go out of my way looking for indie hard rock bands. I figure why go out of my way, when there's 100 other bands out there that are more accessible?
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I am very serious. That's not to say I will never like an indie band (like, if a friend were to turn me on to a decent indie hard rock band that plays original music). I just myself don't go out of my way looking for indie hard rock bands. I figure why go out of my way, when there's 100 other bands out there that are more accessible?
    Well- besides the fact that I think most indie bands as much more creative than the big names (my opinion), I like to see live music and seeing an awesome band in a smalll venue is much better than being in an arena.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well- besides the fact that I think most indie bands as much more creative than the big names (my opinion), I like to see live music and seeing an awesome band in a smalll venue is much better than being in an arena.
    Part of the problem is that I don't listen to current music nearly as much as I listen to older classic rock-type music. But I've still seen plenty of older bands in small venues.

There are also plenty of bands out there now that used to be big, but are now on independent labels still making music. It's kind of cool being able to get up close and personal with a legend like Ted Nugent live at a suburban festival and be one of the few diehard fans there. And many 80s hair bands that may have had a platinum record and a Top 10 hit 20 years ago now have audiences that are practically nothing. Oftentimes, they may have changed their lineup, their image, their sound, and are more creative. Some of these bands truly are indie bands now.
    Last edited by illinoisplanner; 01 Oct 2010 at 6:41 PM.
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Amazed

This Bear is amazed that there are so many bands from Indieanapolis.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    For my tastes I’d much rather see: Form of an Ice Ladder, Zan and Jana Elope, The Grocery Bags, Epiphany Pierced, Corrugated Twilight, Shandor and the Ice People, Squalid Tryst, Myron’s Monster Manual, Urgh, Lumpenproletariat Keister, North Tracking Zax, Gricklegrass, North Korean Oatmeal, Blister, Umlaut Kraut, or Summoning Shadows. In other words, artists who have not comprimised their integrity.
    Dude, you call yourself a music fan? The Grocery Bags and Blister have gone so mainstream, since each one has a track on a compilation CD of Columbus indoecore/tweecore fusion bands, along with with the Flaming Cuyahogas, The Wafers, Kosher Pork Biscuits, The Pitcairn Island Transit Authority, Mope, The Seeing Eye Wolverines, Jesus Christ Battlestar, Honey Do, Cornhat, The Suckeyes, Dutch Range, The Toledophiles, Extra Cheese, Chris Hansen's Seat, Marry Merry Mary, The Sanjays, Cartman, Herd of Ghosts, Old Number Five, Slowkitty, The Dayton Secret Police, Knob, Spanish Flu, Jiminy Carter, Banned In Xenia, Queen Liver, Pain Bread, The Jukes, Lucy Lucid And The Dreamers, Balls of Mud, Rhymes With Orange, The Fluoroscopes, The Singularity, The Ruins of Dublin, Maiden China, The Carburetors, Recliner Shiner, Bodyblow, St. Vincent And The Grenadines, The Barn Doors, The Black Pugs, Billions and Billions, Deputy Enos, Northern Dark, Red Shamrock, 快乐熊猫中国自助, The Grocer's Apostrophe's, The Neros, Speedbrisket, Springtime in Worthington, The Scabs, The Joy Farmers, and The Grizzly Madams. Sellouts, all of them!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Poseurs, all of you. I just got the Joseph Merrick, Elephant Man debut LP on super limited edition tie-dye vinyl and an Alpaca Lips hoodie woven out of the lead singer/harpist's discarded throat-beard hair.

I bet none of you have even heard of Crunkle Sam and the Shysters, Dining Room Fable, Time in Prussia, Swampoodle, The Ne'erbeentheres, Super Sighs, Sir Walter Folly, Ooples and Boonoonoos, Flotation Marks, Moody Garland and the Prozac Defense, King Sandwich, Tranny Mechanics, les daguerréotypes, Dirt Detergent, Nude Field Work, The Colonel and the Klinks, Stupid Owl, Untermensch, Stormwater, Pfeffer Spray, or the Tacos. Lame.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Psha! All those bands are lame hippy-dippy, happy pop crap drivel! I'm much more into the obscure metal scene. You know, such bands as:

Infected Martyr
    Edge of Chaos
    Opened Sword
    Master of Hate
    Pestilential Oath
    Gore Tomb
    Black Slayer
    The Woods
    Awakened Hound
    Mediaeval Jesus
    Chaotic Anger
    Obscure Sins
    Eternal Mantra
    Bewitched Laceration
    Acts of Coffin
    Enthroned Hearse
    Bestial Shrines
    Medieval Satan
    Divine Insanity
    Bewitched Attack

I've seen all of them in concert at least a dozen times at the local dive on the third Thursday of the month for "Black Thursday".

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Of course, if you get indiegestion you can always look for this cure.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqfOzqMvlQ

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Psha! All those bands are lame hippy-dippy, happy pop crap drivel! I'm much more into the obscure metal scene. You know, such bands as:

Infected Martyr
    Edge of Chaos
    Opened Sword
    Master of Hate
    Pestilential Oath
    Gore Tomb
    Black Slayer
    The Woods
    Awakened Hound
    Mediaeval Jesus
    Chaotic Anger
    Obscure Sins
    Eternal Mantra
    Bewitched Laceration
    Acts of Coffin
    Enthroned Hearse
    Bestial Shrines
    Medieval Satan
    Divine Insanity
    Bewitched Attack

I've seen all of them in concert at least a dozen times at the local dive on the third Thursday of the month for "Black Thursday".
    Off-topic:
    Those are some great metal names, by the way. Seems the metal band naming lexicon is more limited than their indie counterparts....all things related to death, dark, scary, pagan, Norse/Germanic mythology, religious, and bloody themes are fair game. Words like: cult, black, dying, iron, warlock, spirit, steel, blood, crying, sacrifice, dark, tortured, corpse, soul, coven, pentagram, reever, axe, Ragnorak, apocalypse, scythe etc......

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I just hope Asphalt Sandwich, Black Corsage and Groundcover don't go mainstream. Keep your roots true man!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I just hope Asphalt Sandwich, Black Corsage and Groundcover don't go mainstream. Keep your roots true man!
    My band Papal Defenestration opened for Black Corsage in an abandoned industrial meat locker in Baltimore. Those guys were so much heavier before they replaced one of their three bassists with a guitarist. Super influential in the Avante-Metalgaze/Rustcore scene.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    ....Those guys were so much heavier before they replaced one of their three bassists with a guitarist...
    LOL!! Post of the day!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I don't listen to bands that have names, they've all sold out!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I don't listen to bands that have names, they've all sold out!
    Well, then, you'd be a fan of the band called !!!. (It's pronounced by clicking the tongue three times. I am not making this up. It's an actual band.)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Hey y'all forgot Ghadi's Weapon, Magrathea or Bust, Vogon Poetry, Ted Kennedy's Liver or TANJ(bonus points for whoever gets that reference)

Personally, I was a major fan The Iowa Mountaineering Club until heard them on Pandora.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Nov 2010, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Aug 2008, 2:04 PM