Urban planning community

Poll results: Which of the folllowing tobacco products/paraphernalia have you used (beyond experimentation)

35. You may not vote on this poll
  • cigarettes

8 22.86%
  • cigars

13 37.14%
  • leaf chewing tobacco (Red Man, Chattanooga Chew, etc)

1 2.86%
  • dipping tobacco (Skoal, Copenhagen, etc)

4 11.43%
  • pipe

5 14.29%
  • hookah

4 11.43%
  • nasal snuff (if you have to ask what it is you haven't tried it)

0 0%
  • I smoked tobacco for xx years but quit back in xx

5 14.29%
  • I still use tobacco

5 14.29%
  • I have never tried tobacco in my life

6 17.14%
  • just second hand smoke

5 14.29%
  • other

3 8.57%
  • I have experimented only with one or more of the above (explain below)

9 25.71%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tobacco Usage

Dec 2005
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Blog entries
    I have asthma. I don't smoke. I grew up in a house with a smoker and I couldn't wait to leave. She got pissed at me after I left because I would make her smoke outside on the balcony of my apartment and in the garage at my house.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Jul 2010
    milwaukee, wi
    I started smoking at 20. I have no idea why. At the time I think that I felt that I deserved to have a vice. At first I could take it or leave it, but a couple years later I had a hard time trying to quit. I ve tried to quit a few times, but I really love to smoke. I could stand around and drink coffee and smoke cigarettes all day, but unfortunately that's not usually possible.
    I am supportive of anti smoking regulations though and I don't ever smoke inside. I don't mind the smell of cigarette smoking, but I think ashtrays smell gross. Its just the butts and residue on clothes that is unpleasent- however if you smoke another cigarette, you don't notice!
    I say smoke away! (Outside)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Aug 2007
    Back in SE Texas
    Both of my parents are big smokers and my sister smokes socially/when she drives. I tried cigarettes once and thought it was disgusting. After I moved out of my parents house, I never touched another tobacco product. When I go back to visit my parents, I have a sore throat for a week after I get back from visiting them. Now with a carton of cigarettes pushing $60.00 to $70.00 in some states I am not sure how anyone can afford to smoke anymore!

May 2005
    New Town
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    When an attractive women sticks a cancer stick in her mouth, her attractiveness quotient drops quickly.

Sorry attractive women who smoke.
    Anyone remember this Brooke Shields anti-smoking PSA from the early 1980's?

She thinks people who smoke are real losers...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

maudit anglais
    May 1997
    Similar to a few others, both my parents smoked when I was a kid (Dad still does). Never had the urge to start, though I do understand the "need something to do with my hands" urge. I used to say I chewed on pens instead of smoking.

My only experience with cigarettes was when I was about eight years old and I took a drag off my aunt's cigarette. I had the "cool" aunt...you know, the one who asks her eight year old nephew to grab a cancer stick out of the pack, light it and bring it to her. I gave in to temptation and took a puff before bringing it to her...

I used to smoke cigars very occasionally during and after university but haven't had one now in over eight years (my wedding reception).

I too loved the smell of my granddad's pipe tobacco. Erinmore.

Mar 1996
    Upstate New York
    Blog entries
    My parents were 1950s-style heavy-duty smokers. They often made the characters of Mad Men seem like lightweights. It was a rough environment to grow up in; sticky nicotine coated every surface, and I caught a lot of second-hand smoke. Every flat surface in the house outside of my bedroom had a massive ashtray on it.

When I was growing up, Mom regularly sent me down to the corner store to buy a pack of cigarettes for her. Could a seven year old buy cigarettes today? Thankfully, Mom quit smoking late in life, and apologized for making me endure a perpetual haze of tobacco smoke when I was growing up. Dad smoked a cigar a day before he ended up in the hospital in August.

I was diagnosed with mild asthma about 12 years ago. An allergy test I took at the same time revealed that I was allergic to tobacco.

Anyhow, I tried a cigarette when I was 16. Horrible. I had a few drags since then, and that's all.

I'll enjoy a cigar every few weeks during warm weather, preferably with a whisky. I won't smoke cigars indoors.

I like pipes, but they take too much work to keep lit.

Never tried bidis, cloves, or any other exotic tobacco products from developing nations.

I tried chew a couple of times in my 20s. Hated it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Nov 2009
    The Glass City
    I started smoking when I was 16 or so. Not regularly, obviously, but whenever I could get them. For me it was a rebellion thing. Neither of my parents smoked and they were very controlling. It was my little way of sticking it to the man.

Ended up addicted to nicotine. Smoked for 15 years more or less. Quit a few months ago. Never going back.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Profanity and its usage
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 05 Mar 2014, 5:21 PM
  2. Tobacco and smoke shops
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Sep 2010, 4:31 PM
  3. big tobacco