Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bicycling infrastructure planning

Registered
    Feb 2010

Bicycling infrastructure planning

Hi,

this is a bit off topic, but more suited here than anywhere else on the forum.

I am looking for someone who used to or is still working with bicycle infrastructure planning and development in a small town (~30000 residents).
    Basically I need information of the development of bicycle infrastructure in a town - when was it started, why, what were the obstacles (the things not mentioned in plans), changes in the transportation modes, etc..
    I need this for my diploma work.

I will gladly give more details via e-mail.

Nauris

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would start by contacting the City's Department of Public Works, or its road/recreational agency.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I would start by contacting the City's Department of Public Works, or its road/recreational agency.
    Methinks the OP is looking for any town that fits the bill, not a particular place.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Nauris View post

I am looking for someone who used to or is still working with bicycle infrastructure planning and development in a small town (~30000 residents).
    Basically I need information of the development of bicycle infrastructure in a town - when was it started, why, what were the obstacles (the things not mentioned in plans), changes in the transportation modes, etc..
    I need this for my diploma work.

Nauris
    Along the Wasatch Front in Utah, most of the cities are smaller like you've described. They are strung together in a region, and the regional planning agency (called the WFRC) has taken a lead role with respect to this kind of thing. They have a planner assigned specifically to bicycle infrastructure and he has been working with the individual cities for several years. He's a great guy, loves his work, and I'm sure would be happy to give you some info on what it's been like.

www.wfrc.org you're looking for Jory Johner.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How Illinois DOT looks at bicycling
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 7:33 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Feb 2013, 11:47 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Dec 2010, 12:27 AM
  4. Infrastructure planning
    Make No Small Plans