Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Schools focused on site planning

Schools focused on site planning

Hi guys, first post so bare with me.

I'm kind of looking into getting my Masters from a school that focus around site planning or transportation planning in the SE. I've been reading the forums for the last couple of days and haven't seen anyone post on good schools or well known schools when it comes to site planning. I'm pretty new to this field and only studied a little bit while I was in college, since we did not have any city planning courses.

I have a BS in Political Science and graduated about two years ago. I spent the last two years pretty much working a job that had nothing to do with my degree or anything I wanted to do. Could that be a problem?

I haven't taken the GRE, but from reading some of the post that shouldn't be a problem. The letter of recommendation might be, because I've spent two years out of college and don't work in a field that related to planning at all. I really need to make sure I can get an assistantship or something to help with the cost of tuition since student loans are already eating me alive.

Schools I've kind of considered are ... U. of Memphis, Clemson, and Auburn. Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Engero View post
    Hi guys, first post so bare with me.

I'm kind of looking into getting my Masters from a school that focus around site planning or transportation planning in the SE. I've been reading the forums for the last couple of days and haven't seen anyone post on good schools or well known schools when it comes to site planning.
    Can you elaborate more on "site planning". That is a very broad topic. Are you interesting in only sites relating to transportation?
    Last edited by mendelman; 25 Oct 2010 at 1:41 PM.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Can you elaborate more on "site planning". That is a very broad topic. Are you interesting in only sites relating to transportation?
    Perhaps Engero is looking for a program focusing on urban design. This would be best route, because it is a nice blend of planning, architecture, and landscape architecture.

I know the University of Michigan's College of Architecture and Urban Planning has a Masters of Urban Design (MUD).

As for unis in the SE, it should be easy to find, it it exists.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

With a little bit of research, I found it really falls into landscape architecture and site analysis, they sound like a lot of fun. Big thing is will there be jobs in this field when I graduate? Transportation is a big part of it, but I would not doing site plans for like subdivisions.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Engero View post
    Big thing is will there be jobs in this field when I graduate? Transportation is a big part of it, but I would not doing site plans for like subdivisions.
    That's the big if for any development-dependent jobs right now, planning included. Fortunately, landscape architects are in my view finally getting some due respect as more developers realize that engineers tend to over-engineer everything, resulting in much less aesthetically-pleasing and typically more expensive designs. Look for more work for landscape architects in both transportation (esp. concerning traffic-calming measures and green street projects) and watershed sensitive design/stormwater management... when/if the economy rebounds of course.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Jun 2009, 1:05 AM
  2. Small town: many hats vs. big org,: focused work
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Dec 2008, 4:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 6:56 PM
  4. Any arts-focused CDCs out there?
    Economic and Community Development