Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning grad / development jobs

Planning grad / development jobs

I am graduating with a BS in Urban Planning from Arizona State University and looking to go to a different graduate school. I am currently looking at U of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Cal Poly SLO and Portland State. My biggest concern is that I don't really want to work in the public sector after graduation.

I want to work in development and creating retro fitting projects in up and coming areas around the mid-west. What would be my best option for a very topical education in this field? I feel that PSU is the most obvious choice here because of the great examples from around the city and they also has a certificate in Real Estate Development.

Does anybody have more experience in this branch of land use planning? It is a very niche-y profession, I got the idea when I went through multiple interviews with a small development company that specializes in this type of planning, but I didn't get the position.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by PhxRoadRunner View post
    I am graduating with a BS in Urban Planning from Arizona State University and looking to go to a different graduate school. I am currently looking at U of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Cal Poly SLO and Portland State. My biggest concern is that I don't really want to work in the public sector after graduation.

I want to work in development and creating retro fitting projects in up and coming areas around the mid-west. What would be my best option for a very topical education in this field? I feel that PSU is the most obvious choice here because of the great examples from around the city and they also has a certificate in Real Estate Development.

Does anybody have more experience in this branch of land use planning? It is a very niche-y profession, I got the idea when I went through multiple interviews with a small development company that specializes in this type of planning, but I didn't get the position.
    Always good to see another Arizonan on the boards...and even better to see one from my alma mater. If you want to work in an "up and coming" area of the midwest then I would identify those cities and look for schools in the area. FYI, there are a ton of out of work people in the real estate development business all round the country...not just in AZ. The sooner you can build your contacts in the sector the better off you will be. You are right that development is a niche business, its very much a "who-you-know" game. Best of luck!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 Jan 2011, 12:39 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 May 2010, 7:30 PM
  3. Jobs while in grad school
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 12:33 PM
  4. Jobs related to real estate development
    Career Development and Advice