Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia - What Generation are you?

Registered
    Jan 2005

Cyburbia - What Generation are you?

So many in the world of life call themselves by a generational title... baby boom, generation X, generation Y, echo boom, etc. These names are all fun and do somewhat categorize a generation of people. Or what about labeling a time frame like BC, AD, CE, Industrial Revolution, Enlightenment, etc. How about in the Cyburbian world? What generation are you? I am sure there are many obvious options...

-Pre- Post-Padding - Any member joined before 2001 and RJ.
    -BeG - Before el Gaupo? 2001.
    -Post Poll - Any member joined after Maister in 2004.
    -AC/BU - After Chet's blow up. circa 2009.
    -Pre-RTDNTOTO - Prior to the creation of the first RTDNTOTO thread. 2005.
    -Starring_Emma Debacle - Pretty obvious... spring 2010.

I am sure there are many more. What are some of the events that define our community? What are the people who joined or had their best time then called?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You forgot to mention the PAIRC Era.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    What about the "Jaws" Era?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Oh yeah, I definitely remember Jaws.

And who can forget the BKM era? I actually miss that guy...fun to debate.

I feel like when I joined in 2005, I came in during a very transitional period, so I got to experience a lot of the old and a lot of the new.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    PAIRC Era - April 1996.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'd put the baseline of Cyburbia's calendar at August 10, 2001. Earlier than that is B.V, or "Before vBulletin". After that is A.V., or "After vBulletin". One could also call it "B.R.", or "Before Registration", and "A.R.", or "After Registration". In the B.R. era, there were no fixed user accounts; anyone could post under any name.

The B.V. eras, which stretch back into ancient history, are ...

The Cyburbia Cafe era: August 2000 - August 2001, when the message board ran on a free, very basic linear message board system called Discus. There's Early Cafe, when the architecture forums were still active, and Late Cafe when planners started to dominate, handles were first used, and people loosened their ties a bit. Threads resembling what would be found in the FAC today first began to appear in the Cyburbia Cafe era. Prolific posters of the era included Planzilla (No, I don't know who they were), giff57, mike gurnee, and Zoning Goddess. (Did I forget anyone?)

The WWWBoard era: March 1996 - August 2000, when the message board ran on the very primitive threaded WWWBoard script. There's two sub-eras: the PAIRC era (March 1996 to May 1997) and the Early Cyburbia era (May 1997 to August 2000). In the early PAIRC and earlier Early Cyburbia era, posters tended to use their real names, rather than handles. There was little off-topic discussion. There was a higher percentage of posters outside of North America than there are now. NHPlanner, Planderella, pandersen, Mary and Super Amputee Cat. Linden Smith, Brent, cosmic and Cardinal were around during that time. (Again, did I forget anyone?)

The alt.planning.urban era (alternative name: The Get The Hell Off My ... I Forgot era): 1992 to 1995, when a certain trolling professor from North Carolina who shall not be named started posting and permanently ruined the place. I don't know if there's any Cyburbians who were around during the glory days of alt.planning.urban.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    What generation are you? I
    - BeG - Before el Gaupo? 2001.
    - Post Poll - Any member joined after Maister in 2004.
    What are the people who joined or had their best time then called?
    2003 - between those two
    or
    the yr of the ExPat Jersey Boys on the Ohio.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'd put the baseline of Cyburbia's calendar at August 10, 2001......
    That's two days after I registered.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    That's two days after I registered.
    Lemme' change that to August 8, when vBulletin really went live.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I remember PAIRC as far back as '96, but perhaps I was merely lurking.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Or what about labeling a time frame like BC, AD, CE, Industrial Revolution, Enlightenment, etc. How about in the Cyburbian world? [snip]............
    -Post Poll - Any member joined after Maister in 2004.
    I prefer to call that era the Age of Reason

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'd put the baseline of Cyburbia's calendar at August 10, 2001. Earlier than that is B.V, or "Before vBulletin". After that is A.V., or "After vBulletin". One could also call it "B.R.", or "Before Registration", and "A.R.", or "After Registration". In the B.R. era, there were no fixed user accounts; anyone could post under any name.

The B.V. eras, which stretch back into ancient history, are ...

The Cyburbia Cafe era: August 2000 - August 2001, when the message board ran on a free, very basic linear message board system called Discus. There's Early Cafe, when the architecture forums were still active, and Late Cafe when planners started to dominate, handles were first used, and people loosened their ties a bit. Threads resembling what would be found in the FAC today first began to appear in the Cyburbia Cafe era. Prolific posters of the era included Planzilla (No, I don't know who they were), giff57, mike gurnee, and Zoning Goddess. (Did I forget anyone?)

The WWWBoard era: March 1996 - August 2000, when the message board ran on the very primitive threaded WWWBoard script. There's two sub-eras: the PAIRC era (March 1996 to May 1997) and the Early Cyburbia era (May 1997 to August 2000). In the early PAIRC and earlier Early Cyburbia era, posters tended to use their real names, rather than handles. There was little off-topic discussion. There was a higher percentage of posters outside of North America than there are now. NHPlanner, Planderella, pandersen, Mary and Super Amputee Cat. Linden Smith, Brent, cosmic and Cardinal were around during that time. (Again, did I forget anyone?)

The alt.planning.urban era (alternative name: The Get The Hell Off My ... I Forgot era): 1992 to 1995, when a certain trolling professor from North Carolina who shall not be named started posting and permanently ruined the place. I don't know if there's any Cyburbians who were around during the glory days of alt.planning.urban.
    I found my way into Cyburbialand in early 2004, but first started dabbling online in about 1996, after you-know-who destroyed the Usenet board (he's now infesting the Usenet railfan boards, which still have a small handful of level-headed posters). Most railfans are now on various HTML-based forvms (like Cyburbia) and e-mail lists.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I was lurking in the late-PAIRC era and thought I had joined in the early 2000s. When I changed jobs I think I lost contact and rejoined in 2005.

That certain not-to-be-named professor trolled onthe NCPlanner Listserve as well and gained some very spirited debates. Glad thats over.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Started May 1, 2003 which was during the first quality peak A.V. It was a good time and was during the great days of pre-regulated image leeching (aka hyperlinking). I know the need for the image leeching rules now, but it was a nice tool for the responsible.

And during my time here I was given the chance to evolve to a higher lifeform - moderator.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I commenced the LP era in August of 2005

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Lemme' change that to August 8, when vBulletin really went live.
    That would mark the dawn of the Age of Enlightenment.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Hmm. Supposedly I registered in 2002, but I do remember the PAIRC years. I didn't purchase a home computer until around 1996 or '97 (?), so I couldn't participate in the forums.

Even so, I don't remember some of these "milestones," maybe because I didn't post very often until I went solo.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am part of the Ubermeister regime. Long live the poll.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I'm a post-poll generation poster ... November 2006.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes.....

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I prefer to call that era the Age of Reason
    I was only days behind you pollmeister
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Yeah, me! My first posts (and how you tracked that back, I don't know!) were Sept '99; damn, I missed my own anniv last month. Just a couple questions in the "old" mode, then I went away for a few years and came back and it was all new. You just have me slightly out my original time zone.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I guess I would be in the ACBU generation. I have seen many of Chet's posts though not really sure who she/he is.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm rolling up on my 5th anniversary on 12/1! I joined while holed up in a hotel room in Philly where I was working on putting together all my grad school applications. The site came up on a Google search

So that puts me slightly after the Random Thoughts era but around long enough to remember MZ's soliloquies,the world according to dobopoq, eG, BKM, and RJ & ZG's Love Story.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I'm rolling up on my 5th anniversary on 12/1! I joined while holed up in a hotel room in Philly where I was working on putting together all my grad school applications. The site came up on a Google search

So that puts me slightly after the Random Thoughts era but around long enough to remember MZ's soliloquies,the world according to dobopoq, eG, BKM, and RJ & ZG's Love Story.
    I joined a couple of months before you! I can remember Jaws (i was always suprised how long he lasted before he was banned) and Zman hanging around here a lot more.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I joined in 2007 so post-Maister and pre-Chet meltdown.

Who is this he-who-shall-not-be-named professor? Does he still post on the NC Plan list serve...because there are definitely a few annoying folks on there. I'll take a PM on that one.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. TV Shows, the second generation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Jun 2012, 3:01 PM
  2. TND trip generation
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Aug 2006, 12:28 PM