Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Custom icon/symbols for ArcGIS

Registered
    Nov 2005

Custom icon/symbols for ArcGIS

Anyone know how to import an image into ArcGIS for use as a point symbol? I'm making a map of different retail chains and want to use their logo to represent the location of each store.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    Anyone know how to import an image into ArcGIS for use as a point symbol? I'm making a map of different retail chains and want to use their logo to represent the location of each store.
    Seems like fewer keystrokes to just insert a .jpg and resize.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    Do you have the images saved as a .style set? You have to do this the same way you create fonts. If you don't have font making software it gets somewhat tough. Search the help files for .style creation or check out the style manager in the tools tab. Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for all the responses. This process is actually pretty easy, but good directions are hard to find. However, the first three pages of this tutorial lay it out pretty simply. Basically, just drop a BMP (it MUST be a BMP, no other image types will work) into ArcGIS's "Picture" folder within the "Styles" folder. If your image file isn't in this format, just get something like Paint.NET and save the image as a BMP. It also wouldn't hurt to clean it up or crop it while you're in there. The rest of the instructions will take you through the process.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Nov 2008, 10:11 AM
  2. Where do I find hi-res map symbols?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Jun 2008, 3:34 PM
  3. Sources of landscape symbols
    Information Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jan 2008, 9:10 AM