Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Cyburbian Event of the Year

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,932

    Cyburbian Event of the Year

    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    -AC/BU - After Chet's blow up. circa 2009.
    -Pre-RTDNTOTO - Prior to the creation of the first RTDNTOTO thread. 2005.
    -Starring_Emma Debacle - Pretty obvious... spring 2010.


    hink's "Generation" thread got me to thinkin'...alot of periodicals have a year-end edition of the years biggest events. Our very own hink listed a couple events for consideration in past years:

    2005: The birth of RTDNTOTOs
    2006:
    2007:
    2008:
    2009: the year of Chet's implosion
    2010:Emma/Becca Debacle (although IMO we should give them 0 attention)

    So with that in mind, we are now taking nominations from the floor for the top 5 Cyburbian Events of 2010...even though we have 2 months to go (or any other year for that matter).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  2. #2
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,533
    2006: The departure of eG, and subsequent induction of several new moderators

  3. #3
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,514
    Blog entries
    3
    Also this year, don't forget the return of Mike Morin, and finally hitting "Big Board" status with 500,000 posts.

    2009: michaelskis takes a sabbatical from Cyburbia (and other message boards) to find his fortune in a multilevel marketing scheme involving $25 bottles of acai juice.

    2008: Cyburbians come to the site's defense after it was snubbed by the owner of "the other site" in a Planning Magazine article.

    We really need a good scandal around here, like an Alefest where people get arrested.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  4. #4
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    6,950

    Hmm.....

    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Also this year, don't forget the return of Mike Morin, and finally hitting "Big Board" status with 500,000 posts.

    2009: michaelskis takes a sabbatical from Cyburbia (and other message boards) to find his fortune in a multilevel marketing scheme involving $25 bottles of acai juice.

    2008: Cyburbians come to the site's defense after it was snubbed by the owner of "the other site" in a Planning Magazine article.

    We really need a good scandal around here, like an Alefest where people get arrested.
    Too bad that "cab" didn't drive by in NOLA That could have been the beginning of an epic Cyburbian road trip debacle involving me, Dandy, The other TO, TN and other assorted muggles I can still hear that cab in my nightmares

    I'll put my money on RJ doing something outrageous during a laefest
    Skilled Adoxographer

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,494
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    We really need a good scandal around here, like an Alefest where people get arrested.
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I'll put my money on RJ doing something outrageous during a laefest
    How about at/during the Boston APA National Conference ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Plus dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,338
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

    We really need a good scandal around here, like an Alefest where people get arrested.
    I would be happy to offer up my upcoming nuptials in NOLA for the scene of a raucous laefest and scandal.


    TO, I might be able to arrange to have that cab as my dramatic exit.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    6,950

    Oh Yeah.....

    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I would be happy to offer up my upcoming nuptials in NOLA for the scene of a raucous laefest and scandal.


    TO, I might be able to arrange to have that cab as my dramatic exit.
    That would be JUST like a 1970's buddy cop movie, only you (the bad girl) are wearing a wedding dress and red pumps while escaping in a piece of $#!% cab....I just spit up some of my Diet Dr. Pepper when that image hit my brain
    Skilled Adoxographer

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,494
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    ... that image hit my brain
    Who is SA enough to respond to that ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  9. #9
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,382
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    .......I'll put my money on RJ doing something outrageous during a laefest
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How about at/during the Boston APA National Conference ?
    OK, I'll volunteer. But it can't wait until Boston. I gotta itch.

    _______________


    Can I nominate a 2007 Event of the Year? Anybody care to guess my nomination? Hint: It involved five Cyburbians. (Get your minds out of the gutter, you perverts.)

    __________


    EDIT: Each Flafest, Alefest or Stanfest qualifies as an event of the year.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,494
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Can I nominate a 2007 Event of the Year? Anybody care to guess my nomination? Hint: It involved five Cyburbians. (Get your minds out of the gutter, you perverts.)
    Either your wedding or Teh Philly Conference Laefest ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  11. #11
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    6,950

    HMMM.....

    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    OK, I'll volunteer. But it can't wait until Boston. I gotta itch.

    _______________


    Can I nominate a 2007 Event of the Year? Anybody care to guess my nomination? Hint: It involved five Cyburbians. (Get your minds out of the gutter, you perverts.)

    __________


    EDIT: Each Flafest, Alefest or Stanfest qualifies as an event of the year.
    AKA the YEAR OF THE SPOON perhaps? or what about the great white whale in your pool
    Skilled Adoxographer

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,932

    Time for an Update

    So here's where it stood:

    2005: The birth of RTDNTOTOs
    2006: The departure of eG, and subsequent induction of several new moderators
    2007: Hint: It involved five Cyburbians. (Get your minds out of the gutter, you perverts.)
    2008: Cyburbians come to the site's defense after it was snubbed by the owner of "the other site" in a Planning Magazine article.
    2009: the year of Chet's implosion, michaelskis takes a sabbatical from Cyburbia (and other message boards) to find his fortune in a multilevel marketing scheme involving $25 bottles of acai juice.
    2010:Emma/Becca Debacle (although IMO we should give them 0 attention)
    2011:
    2012: Losing a very good Bear
    2013:

    Taking nominations please
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  13. #13
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    11,960
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

    2009: michaelskis takes a sabbatical from Cyburbia (and other message boards) to find his fortune in a multilevel marketing scheme involving $25 bottles of acai juice.
    I came to the conclusion that I can't sell juice after about 6 months of trying. It was a learning experience though and I am happy that I did it. Although the sabbatical was more political than anything else. I was having difficulties keeping calm during some of the discussions and felt it appropriate to just step away for a while.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,494
    In a few days when I reach 17K level of Teh Clube.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    In a few days when I reach 17K level of Teh Clube.
    How thoughtful of you to save this momentus occasion for the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    _____________________________

    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    So here's where it stood:
    . . .
    2011:
    2012: Losing a very good Bear
    2013:

    Taking nominations please
    2011:
    urban19 is banned from Cyburbia. (But his obsession lingers on...)
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 07 Feb 2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Added 2011 nomination.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    So here's where it stood:

    2005: The birth of RTDNTOTOs
    2006: The departure of eG, and subsequent induction of several new moderators
    2007: Hint: It involved five Cyburbians. (Get your minds out of the gutter, you perverts.)
    2008: Cyburbians come to the site's defense after it was snubbed by the owner of "the other site" in a Planning Magazine article.
    2009: the year of Chet's implosion, michaelskis takes a sabbatical from Cyburbia (and other message boards) to find his fortune in a multilevel marketing scheme involving $25 bottles of acai juice.
    2010:Emma/Becca Debacle (although IMO we should give them 0 attention)
    2011:
    2012: Losing a very good Bear
    2013:

    Taking nominations please
    Hmmm, for 2007... was that the year the girl in the red dress lifted up her skirt while dancing on stage at the APA conference? Not that I remember that too vividly or anything.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    3,652
    2013: The year nothing really exciting happened
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  18. #18
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,410
    2013: The year of the Inquisitions
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  19. #19
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    So here's where it stood:


    2006: The departure of eG, and subsequent induction of several new moderators
    eG? As in El Guapo?. Whatever happened to him?

  20. #20
    Corn Burning Fool giff57's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 1998
    Location
    On the Mother River
    Posts
    4,512
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    eG? As in El Guapo?. Whatever happened to him?
    He drops by about twice a year. He is in law school and doesn't have time for our nonsense.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. For every year - a Cyburbian born
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 145
    Last post: 03 May 2013, 9:28 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 6:50 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 05 Apr 2011, 4:57 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Mar 2008, 11:46 AM
  5. Planning Event vs Friends Event.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 30 Mar 2005, 7:42 PM