Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fetal position/desk fort kinda days

Registered
    Dec 2008

Fetal position/desk fort kinda days

After last night's Planning Commission meeting I will be posting today from underneath my desk in the fetal position.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    After last night's Planning Commission meeting I will be posting today from underneath my desk in the fetal position.
    with a latte and a ukulele and your teddy bear...

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Aaaawwww. There, there it really will be alright. But seriously I hate those too!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    with a latte and a ukulele and your teddy bear...
    I wish. Comfy. Sidenote, I do actually play the ukelele. My mom taught me when I was little. Yellowbird, Climbing Rose, Pearly Shells. You know, aside from the incredible guilt trips, my mom was really cool. Really cool.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2005
    hey lucky guess then on my part - I am so telepathic that way...

I am mentally in the fetal position with some crap I got going here lately, yuck!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    That bad ursus?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    hey lucky guess then on my part - I am so telepathic that way...

I am mentally in the fetal position with some crap I got going here lately, yuck!
    Take the next step and go all the way into the physical fetal position, it's liberating in a dysfunctional way...

Sometimes it just all comes down. It's like a cosmic magnet. Last night's train-wreck also made me miss Evie (daughter) dancing in a little show. I thought I could make it. I felt like that proverbial parent who always insists he'll make it but in the end misses stuff for work - except without the big salary to justify it. I never do that. Lousy.

So will sabotage work for you, lp? I know a guy....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Should I split off a 'Things that make you assume the fetal position' thread?

I sometimes wonder if folks appreciate my brand of humor with the names I give split threads. (e.g. Whaddaya mean 'Most. Interesting. Work. Presentation. Ever'.!!??)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    That bad ursus?
    Oh yeah. Three text amendment proposals, written poorly (by me), against my better judgement and will, for badly conceived reasons (IMO). Complete with angry confused public, unresponsive commissioners, and politically bullet-proof higher officials making the puppet dance.

Oh yeah. That bad, baby. Feeling better now, because distance and time make it feel funny in a way.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Complete with angry confused public, unresponsive commissioners, and politically bullet-proof higher officials making the puppet dance.

You don't work here do you?
    The only exception is we didn't have ameeting last night...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oh yeah. Three text amendment proposals, written poorly (by me), against my better judgement and will, for badly conceived reasons (IMO). Complete with angry confused public, unresponsive commissioners, and politically bullet-proof higher officials making the puppet dance.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    You don't work here do you?
    The only exception is we didn't have ameeting last night...
    you're not me, are you?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    You know what this means?

Desk fort.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    Spit from RTDNTOTO

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Desk fort.
    I think Halloween coming up provides me the perfect opportunity to attempt a desk fort in my office...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Desk fort.
    That. Is. Awesome (we still say "awesome" in Utah). I'll stock Fort Ursus on Friday when nobody who can fire me is ever at work.

Actually, post-meeting days I think all Cyburbians should retreat into desk forts en-masse. A kind of "Planner-Stroika". (yes I really just typed that.)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    That's ok, Ursus, you can come out. You are with friends. You are safe now.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can't crawl under my desk. The space is occupied by a dog. Actually, having him there at my feet is just as good as being able to crawl into the space myself. He is very comforting that way.

Strange, but this is just one of many ways in which Luke is a lot like Roscoe. I know it is odd, but I somehow feel that Roscoe sent him to me.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I can't crawl under my desk. The space is occupied by a dog. Actually, having him there at my feet is just as good as being able to crawl into the space myself. He is very comforting that way.

Strange, but this is just one of many ways in which Luke is a lot like Roscoe. I know it is odd, but I somehow feel that Roscoe sent him to me.

What? You bring your dog to work with you! I would love to bring my dog to work with me and Sgt. Stinky would love it too!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am glad that I work at a CDC rather than having to deal with commissioners and public hearings.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What? You bring your dog to work with you! I would love to bring my dog to work with me and Sgt. Stinky would love it too!
    He works from home.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I think Halloween coming up provides me the perfect opportunity to attempt a desk fort in my office...
    That. Is. Awesome (we still say "awesome" in Utah). I'll stock Fort Ursus on Friday when nobody who can fire me is ever at work.

Actually, post-meeting days I think all Cyburbians should retreat into desk forts en-masse. A kind of "Planner-Stroika". (yes I really just typed that.)
    Photos are required!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would like to see a contest for best work desk fort. I am sure some would have more elaborate palaces, but I think simple, efficient space is all you need. Unfortunately my desk isn't completely covered - there is a gap at the bottom which allows visibility under.... which ruins any chance I would have...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Unfortunately my desk isn't completely covered - there is a gap at the bottom which allows visibility under.... which ruins any chance I would have...
    Nonsense! Just takes a little creativity. A blankie draped over the side would take care of that in an instant.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Nonsense! Just takes a little creativity. A blankie draped over the side would take care of that in an instant.
    Or stacks of files, to make it appear that you are busy.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    If you state that you have a dog named Sgt. Stinky then you are legally obligated to provide a pic of creature with said name. That's just too funny.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 11:42 AM
  2. Blair Witch Desk Fort
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 17 Jan 2006, 2:57 PM