Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Greetings from France

Registered
    Oct 2010

Greetings from France

Hello,
    Currently working in a urban planning agency in Paris, I'm here to find informations about the way planning works in other countries, the specific vocabulary and hopefully, learn things and exchange with all of you about... let's say everything, it's simpler

I want to travel for a year, starting next September, either going from one country to the other till I don't have any money left or settling down (well just for a year) in a country such as Canada, New Zealand or Australia. In that case, I hope I will be able to work in my field there... that's why I have to plan, get information, etc.

I seem to notice that there are mainly people from the USA here... that's kind of a shame seeing as I had more or less dismissed the United States from my list of countries-I-might-go-to, because of how difficult it is to get a visa and then a job...

So yeah, I hope you will be indulgent with my sometime very clumsy english, and am looking forward to discuss with you all !

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! I can't speak to how difficult it is to get a visa, but planning jobs in the US are tough to come by right now. Check out the Career subforum for more information on that. We also have a large international group from Australia, Canada, England, and more. Welcome and we look forward to your perspective from France!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Welcome from Michigan!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Bonjour et bienvenue!

There are a few of us Canadians around the forum but no regular posters from Quebec that I know of.

I was in Paris for the first time this summer and loved it. Maybe we can do a work exchange!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!

Good luck on finding a foreign position. Lots of applicants out there these days.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I do realize it's not gonna be easy to find a planning job in a foreign country, even more so because I just graduated last year. Obviously I will be looking for a job with lower qualification, maybe drafts(wo)man ?

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Bonjour et bienvenue!

There are a few of us Canadians around the forum but no regular posters from Quebec that I know of.
    I'm not interested in Quebec, one of the purpose of this trip is to improve my english. Does planning "works" the same way, more or less, in the United States and in Canada ?

And yeah, Paris IS a very nice city I recommend it to you all.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Ersatz View post
    I'm not interested in Quebec, one of the purpose of this trip is to improve my english. Does planning "works" the same way, more or less, in the United States and in Canada ?
    Sorry, I assumed Quebec might be your first choice not just because of language but because the planning system there would probably be a little more familiar to you. Planning works largely the same way in Canada as in the U.S., but we do have some differences (mainly in terminology).

Your language skills would be very useful in finding a job in a region of Canada where there is a high degree of bilingualism (e.g. New Brunswick, Montreal, Ottawa, Eastern/Northern Ontario). Things aren't great for entry-level jobs right now, but I would say overall Canada currently has better prospects for planning.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Salutations de la Floride.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from France.
    Introduce Yourself