Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: To be or not to be a soccer ref? That is the question.

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • to be

10 76.92%
  • not to be

2 15.38%
  • 'tis nobler to choose 'other' (explain below)

1 7.69%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: To be or not to be....(a kids soccer ref, that is)

Registered
    Aug 2005

To be or not to be....(a kids soccer ref, that is)

Should I get certified to be a soccer ref? Relatively easy way to make some cash.

Then again, I deal with the irate public at work, do I really want to deal with them on my off hours as well?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Should I get certified to be a soccer ref? Relatively easy way to make some cash.

Then again, I deal with the irate public at work, do I really want to deal with them on my off hours as well?
    Now that my daughter is old enough to play organized sports, I'm constantly being hit up to be a coach. I love sports, and was/is fairly athletic, but I have vowed never to be a coach.

That could change if my daughters beg me to do it. They kind of have me wrapped around their fingers.

Also, all of those if favor of ending this day, please signify by saying aye.

I stayed up too late last night.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

If you enjoy soccer then only do lower level games. Otherwise you will soon not enjoy it anymore. I have ref'ed for a couple years, but after doing some junior high, select soccer level games, I went back to just working with kids games. $20 for a game and parents being crazy is not worth it. Kids under 10 most parents are just happy that their kids get to play. Although there are still some loony's...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

and dandy, don't do it! if you ref kids' games, the parents will scream at you! you'd be better off coaching

when i coached i had a horrible parent that i had to deal with she's scarred me enough to be wary of ever coaching again. she was plain ol'awful.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

How much worse could the abuse be than what you already absorb every day? I say go for it and pocket the extra cash. I umpired softball many moons ago and thought it was horrible until I got a job as a public sector planner and suddenly umping seemed like a comparative walk in the park.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    where's the poll

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Do it! Better to reap the rewards of soccer referee certification than those (if any) of AICP.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'd say do it. It's money. It's a particular kind of exercising authority you might be lacking in your professional life (who wouldn't love to be able to pull out a yellow card on some developer instead of waiting until a red tag is appropriate?), plus you may make friends, both personal and professional.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Played, coached & ref'ed soccer games. I referreed high school games for about 8 years. It basically paid for Christmas ($1200 for Sept thru early Nov). Parents & coaches in your ear as well and I was considered / graded as a very good ref too.

I also ref'ed classic and peewee (ages 6 - 19) and the older they got the worst it got, but some of the little tyke parents were off the chart too. If you want to do it, start with the younger sets.

Coaching is another issue. Parents wanting to know why Junior doesn't play as much as Timmy. The U-13 & U-11 teams were more babysitting. But I had some very good experiences in the higher levels coaching. U-19, U-17 teams I had were great.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Do it! And -- be the best ref you can, all the time.

I, too, played and coached. I remember one very obviously blown call directly involving my shot on goal, in front of a large group of spectators. The ball clearly crossed the line, but the ref was out of position and did not call it a goal. I was crushed that I failed and my team lost because of such a terribly blown call. (I was about 13 at the time and soccer was big in my NJ hometown -- lots of Italians!)

Years later the ref admitted that he blew the call after talking to players on the other team.

Coaching non-competitive YMCA league soccer, I only asked that the refs stay engaged in the game equally for both teams. Surprising how many times the refs just zone out so that it seemed to favor one side over another. (Typically not my side...) I'm glad my kids have aged out of organized sports for the most part.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'd go for it.

(Just remember to carry a very bright red card for the parents! )

Mike

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Go for it - you might have to deal with some parental crap but power-tripping on the kids will make up for it

Registered
    Mar 2004
    When I was a boy we never had soccer. We would play real tackle football in the streets or street hockey and get bloodied. We never needed coaches or refs to have fun!

Oh and to watch UHF we had to use the converter on top of the TV... AND WE LIKED IT!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. MLS and the State of American Soccer
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Aug 2012, 1:31 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Nov 2009, 12:34 PM
  3. First Time Soccer Coach
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Jan 2008, 8:46 PM