Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Fictional Film/TV Universe

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Favourite Fictional Film/TV Universe

Saw this blog article Fictional Film Words and thought it would make a good thread here.

One the major elements that makes or breaks a movie or TV show for me is how convincingly they create the reality of the universe the action is taking place in.
    I can suspend my disbelief for major plot devices (faster than light travel? teleporters? No problem!) but if you skimp on the little details, I’ll nitpick your film to death. For instance, I like the look and feel of Batman: Batman Begins (extreme dystopian city with a monorail!) much more than Batman: The Dark Knight (plain boring old Chicago), even though the latter is the better movie (IMHO). The fact that the City has changed so significantly between the two movies also bugs the crap out of me. I guess Wayne Towers got demolished at some point?

Speaking of the Batman series, I think being a planner in Gotham might be pretty...interesting.

So, what would be your preferred film universe to spend a day/week/lifetime in? Besides the world of “Horny Pizza Delivery Girls” or “Naughty Nurses 3”, that is.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's a pretty straightforward call but the obvious choice is usually just that. I'd go with the original Star Trek Universe. No dystopian futures where humans are hunted down or hiding from machines/superior species, you'd have transporter and replicator technology available, get to boff green alien chicks, and with just enough danger/conflict to keep life interesting (not to mention you'd always know if trouble was coming based on the ominous soundtrack music that sometimes plays inexplicably in the background).

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Mr. Roger's Neighborhood

As for more adult options, I always thought that Star Trek had interesting 'worlds'
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think both the future and the past were pretty covered in cartoon form in the The Jetsons and The Flintstones.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I think both the future and the past were pretty covered in cartoon form in the The Jetsons and The Flintstones.
    Um, there are no green alien chicks in either of those universes (although there was a little green alien guy with a big head called 'Gazoo' in Fintstones, but we won't go there).

Registered
    Jul 2002

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Any of these shows on the telly

Black Adder
    Monty Python
    The Avengers
    The Prisoner

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Star Trek, hands down. In fact, when I was a kid, I was convinced that my destiny was to attend Starfleet Academy upon graduating high school, because in my dorky 1980s kid mind, I believed that the Academy would exist by the time I was ready for college and would be accepting its first class of students.

Registered
    May 2005
    I've always enjoyed Fantasia from The NeverEnding Story.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    must....resist.....urge......to....

It's no use, you may as well know. That was totally my favorite movie when I was young! It was actually based on a book by Michael Ende, originally written in German I think. I had it when I was young. I vote you should find it and read it to your daughters.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    must....resist.....urge......to....

It's no use, you may as well know. That was totally my favorite movie when I was young! It was actually based on a book by Michael Ende, originally written in German I think. I had it when I was young. I vote you should find it and read it to your daughters.
    Dude...I watched this movie religiously as a kid and have been meaning to get the DVD...or Blue-Ray....or whatever the hell is the latest technology.

I didn't realize it was a book until I Googled it this morning. I'll definitely have to pick it up!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    In movies... Planet of the Apes? A world covered in damn, dirty, apes...

In TV I liked Ed and Stuckeyville. Something about it was just pleasant.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Springfield from The Simpsons
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Springfield from The Simpsons
    It's nothing like Shelbyville.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Star Wars universe wins for me. Or at least it did before all the prequel-related influences entered it.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    It's nothing like Shelbyville.
    Or Ogdenville, or Capital City. I'll live in Shelbyville with you, ofos. Pull up a chair and lets have a nice cool glass of turnip-juice.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of Shelbyville. They had banished the awful lemon tree forever, because it was haunted. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Tickle You All Over

FWIW, this Bear submits the movie Sirens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bK5pmX4A8

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I loved that movie, too. Watched it probably 20 times. I forgot what Atreyu decides to name the Empress at the end of the movie.

My favorite world would probably be any one with Muppets. Muppets would make any world more fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Almost anywhere in Isaac Assimov's Foundation and Empire series, particularly Gaia.

Also, most of the world's from Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series, except perhaps on the planet with the piggies because I wouldn't want to be dying from that strange virus, or whatever it was.

It has been awhile since I have read either series. Maybe I'll pick them up again soon.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    <Warning: obscure Sci-Fi trilogy reference> Rebecca Ore did a series called Becoming Alien where smart kid living in rough circumstances in rural Virginia is chosen for what amounts to multi-species UN. He is advanced and goes into training. It's not a perfect universe, but it held a certain appeal to a geeky, smart kid who got transplanted to a town in BFE Indiana.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005

The NeverEnding Story

Dude...I watched this movie religiously as a kid and have been meaning to get the DVD...or Blue-Ray....or whatever the hell is the latest technology.

I didn't realize it was a book until I Googled it this morning. I'll definitely have to pick it up!
    I bought this movie for my girls for Christmas.

I also bought them The Princess Bride, another of my favorite film universes.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The West of "Maverick." I could so see being Bret, Bart and Brent Maverick's little brother Buck. Conning the grifters at their own game. Traveling the West looking for a card game and a pretty lady. Getting duped by Samantha Crawford, just like my brothers. And getting to quote many maxims of Pappy.

I would also like the unverse of Star Trek, but I would probably get tossed off the ship for insubordination. Because when the ship encountered an alien spacecraft or entity, I would just have to say, "Uh, Captain, don't you think you should raise the shields right now and charge the torpedoes. Because the last hundred times you didn't, and the ship got the sh*t kicked out of it and we barely survived. I know the Federation thinks the Universe is Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, but it really isn't. The Klingons are assholes and you really can't trust them, or, really, anybody. Play it safe. Raise the shields. Charge the weapons. And, no offense, but send Scotty back to engineering school, because this ship is as reliable as a Yugo."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Oddly enough, I am in Jericho, the stand, or revolution camp at this point; but if I needed to pick a pre-apoplectic universe I would chose little house on the prairie.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    i-robot...

It takes place in Chicago. They did a great job blending historic into modern architecture for the movie, just like they do in real life.

The other would be Sherlock Holmes.

Something about that time period has always fascinated me. Maybe that is why I have a house from that era.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Fictional Quahog, RI
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Oct 2013, 12:11 PM
  2. The Canadian alternative universe
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 70
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 7:17 PM