Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Admission to PSU

Registered
    Jul 2010

Admission to PSU

I was curious to know about people's impressions/viewpoints on the difficulty of being admitted into Portland State's MURP program. I'm a psych major from a well-regarded liberal arts school in Portland, Lewis and Clark College. I have received nothing but A's and A-'s in my major classes (including stats), and have an overall GPA of about 3.6. I've been volunteering at a local non-profit center focused on community building within the LGBT demographic for roughly the last year. I'll also hopefully be doing an internship next semester and summer at a non-profit that works at enhancing communities using the theory of place-making through bolstering citizen agency and involvement. I am also a member of my campus' community relations committee.

I'm an Oregon native, and my mom works in the university system at Oregon State, thus I would get a relatively large tuition break. The fact that PSU is such a well regarded school is just icing on the cake.

If you couldn't have guessed, I hope to focus in community development at PSU. I'm graduating from Lewis and Clark in the fall of 2011, and was thinking about taking a few courses from PSU as a non-matriculated student during the winter and spring terms following my graduation before starting up as a full-time student in the fall of 2012.

What do you think, does this sound like a viable plan? Do I have a chance for getting admitted? What more should I do to bolster/increase my chances? I would love some input from anyone, particularly current PSU students or alums.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I graduated in June from the MURP program at PSU. They got 250 applicants for the current incoming class and they admit 36-40. It sounds like you're on track. With your experience, I would say you have a good chance. Bolster your practical planning experience, get some awesome recommendation letters, and if you are in Portland, definitely think about taking some of the quick entry classes where you don't have to be registered.

The program is well regarded here, and you'll look good if you want to move somewhere... but jobs are scarce if you want to stay.

I'll second tiger-eyed. You seem to be in good shape, and are a good match for PSU. Bonus points if you can get name recognition after impressing them during some non-matriculated classes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. U$C cost of admission
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Dec 2010, 6:41 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Mar 2010, 3:46 PM
  3. PhD admission
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Mar 2010, 6:57 PM