Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Head-in parking=parking lot, angled parking=street?

Registered
    Nov 2009

Head-in parking=parking lot, angled parking=street?

Take your vision of an idyllic "street" (public or private) and now picture your street in two different configurations: angled parking and head-in parking.

Does the angled parking result in you viewing this as a street, while the same configuration with head-in parking has you viewing it as less than a street, more like a parking lot?

Admittedly not the most intellectual discussion, but with myself not being a planner and being told by a long range planner on a project that angled parking vs. head-in parking results in the change in distinction from street to parking lot, just wondering if this is some common planning "rule"?

Apparently per the long range planner, head-in parking is void of feel and emotion, and my inability to make this distinction is because I'm a transportation engineer, with that same lack of feel and emotion. He's right on my lack of feel and emotion, but I still don't buy that angled parking makes the street.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    Admittedly not the most intellectual discussion, but with myself not being a planner and being told by a long range planner on a project that angled parking vs. head-in parking results in the change in distinction from street to parking lot, just wondering if this is some common planning "rule"?

Apparently per the long range planner, head-in parking is void of feel and emotion, and my inability to make this distinction is because I'm a transportation engineer, with that same lack of feel and emotion. He's right on my lack of feel and emotion, but I still don't buy that angled parking makes the street.
    Sounds like this person is trying to justify something to themselves.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have heard this before, and I fully agree with this person’s opinion* of angle parking being more aesthetically appealing for a street, and all else you say they said.

*but I cant move the sentiment past the word opinion.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Depending on the width and configuration of the street, it may allow parallel, angled, or head-in parking. That does not change the fact that it is a street.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Angled parking allows for more of a display of the cars while head-in parking reads as purely-utilitarian storage of vehicles.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    My Parking Handbook for Small Communities (J. Edwards) states that "of all types of on-street parking, angle parking has the highest incidence of accidents" and because of this asks "is there ever a reason to use on-street angle parking?" The answer is yes, if (1) the street carries primarily local traffic, (2) the street is not a major through-route, (3) the street is a through-route, but a neaby parallel street can accomodate through traffic, (4) the street is wide enough for "parking maneuvers," and (5) "the street is geared toward pedestrians, with substantial building density, zero lot line development and a critical mass of retail activity."

Sounds good to me.

EDIT: In Baltimore I see streets in the Hampden neighborhood (mostly around West 36th Street (known as The Avenue (why is a street known as The Avenue?))) where there is angle parking that requires the driver to back into the parking space. I'm not sure I've seen this in any other city.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 9:01 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 6:50 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM
  4. Parking standards for on-street parking
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 May 2005, 8:58 PM