Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Christmas Already ?

Registered
    Jun 2003

Christmas Already ?

Halloween was just yesterday, General Election Day is tomorrow, Thanksgiving is still almost 4 weeks away and yet -

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    but now I just listen to Christmas music...
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Christmas music already? Hink, you have thrown your lot in with all who conspire to make me lose my MIND! (Including Mrs. Ursus, who began the Christmas music thing yesterday....)
    AND this editorial in my fair city newspaper today -

HEADLINE: On to Christmas
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...n-signals-our/

HIGHLIGHT:
    Stores are edging toward making Halloween the starting line for holiday shopping. In many stores, the seasonal sales and promotions began this past weekend
    Too much holiday creep and overlap ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Christmas. How I love it, how I hate it. It's 6:30 in the morning and I'm buying bologna at the local grocery store where magically overnight everything has been transformed into a north-pole, elf-populated Hell-on-earth and "I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In" is wafting through the flourescent lights.

If there had been a fluffy bunny or cute chipmunk there, I would have slapped it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    It really isn't that early to start the Xmas season. And by season, I mean shopping season. Black Friday is only a little over 3 weeks away. This is one of the biggest shopping days of the years for retailers, so you better be damned sure they gear up for it as early as it makes sense. I have no problem with that.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The way I see it Christmas is the only reason winter is good. Unless we get a lot of snow, cold weather is awful. So Christmas season make is bearable. Halloween is nice, but it is just about the candy. Thanksgiving is about food, not the season. Christmas is about the season. And don't get me started on the variety of Christmas music.

You pick the genre and there is a song about Christmas (probably 50). I doubt many holidays can boast that. It is just an awesome holiday. I would celebrate sooner, but the wife loves halloween so I usually wait until after her fall birthday and halloween.... to keep the peace
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    There is Christmas stuff in a lot of stores already - and some of it has been there for weeks.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Do not get me started or I'll start sounding like Ofos. They had Christmas crap out before Halloween. Fine, it's no longer a religious holiday, and got hijacked by the corporations so they can sell us more crap we don't need. I can deal with that. Christmas is great from November 26th-December 26th. Beyond that, it's a pain.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    On Oct. 30 at Walmart, they took down the Halloween candy from the $1 aisle and replaced it with Thanksgiving/Christmas food. And the toys/Christmas stock has been arriving on trucks all throughtout October.

I was shopping at Kohl's today and they were playing Christmas music already.

I'm sorry, but they're rushing the music. I can understand making sure your shelves are stocked for the early-bird Christmas shoppers, but Christmas displays and music shouldn't come until mid-November at the earliest. At least give us a couple weeks after Halloween of normalcy.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Christmas. How I love it, how I hate it. It's 6:30 in the morning and I'm buying bologna at the local grocery store where magically overnight everything has been transformed into a north-pole, elf-populated Hell-on-earth and "I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In" is wafting through the flourescent lights.

If there had been a fluffy bunny or cute chipmunk there, I would have slapped it.
    I hear ya Ursus. I would have been tempted to do the same thing.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I have to clarify that I like Christmas music. My kids and I are practically the Partridge Family, we sing all over the neighborhood and at church, and the kids are in a local St. Lucia (Swedish thing) Festival where they sing, etc. etc. etc.

What makes me grind my teeth is that they take something pleasant and wonderful and overdo it, making it something that you feel like you can't get away from....

am I talking about Christmas or Marriage? I forget....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    You people are scrooges. As long as you are only skipping pointless holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving it is fine. I mean you don't start celebrating before Columbus Day or anything That would be silly...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Call me a grinch, scrooge, whatever but I really don't care for Christmas at all.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Do not get me started or I'll start sounding like Ofos.
    Whoa! Where did that come from? And what makes you think that you don't? I may take back that lump of coal that I was going to put in your stocking this year.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Bah humbug.

We go right from annoying political ads on TV ad nauseum into BUY! BUY! BUY! season. I don't even like shopping.

Registered
    May 2005
    I used to hate Christmas, or at least tell everyone that because I thought it was cool. Even after I got married, I would just go through the motions. However, after having my daughters, there's just something about Christmas that makes me happy.

I think I relive my childhood each time my daughters' eyes light up when they see Christmas lights or we put the tree up or we watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Sure, sales start pretty early and there's rampant consumerism. But can't we all just sit back, relax and enjoy what I think Christmas is about for most people - family, giving and just reflecting on the prior year??
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Ah Christmas! How it complicates my life. Firstly, I really really hate to buy things. And even more than that, I hate people (or companies, or tv, or the radio...) telling me to buy things.

So, there's that.

Also, I am not religious, so the Christ-is-born business has limited appeal for me. I don't begrudge others their joys, but personally I have limited to no interest in active participation around the actual "meaning" of Christmas.

Then, there is the fact that my wife is Jewish. Yes, the December Dilemma rears its ugly head every year while we wrangle with exactly how to deal with the onslaught of holiday cheer. Balancing the notably insignificant role Hanukkah actually plays in the Jewish calendar with its power to deflect a modicum of Christian/Commercial Society/s awesome power of STUFF is quite a challenge. But as a counterweight, Hanukkah is kind of lame. Yeah, sure, its 8 days of presents, but have you seen these presents? A pair of socks on Day 1, underwear on Day 2, maybe a puzzle or book on Day 3. After a while, most parents have forgotten to even get any presents and its really just about the lighting of the candles and blessings, which is cool, but little match for the caroling masses and the saturation of bright lights and plastic, animated Frosty Snowmen parading the neighborhood.

Plus my family (few of them as there are) sends us "Christmas" gifts which it feels weird not to open on the 25th. And its not like all the kids' friends are Jewish, so its helpful to have SOMETHING for them to open on that day. But in the end, it usually feels like we did all of those things kind of half-a$$ed...

Things I do like about Christmas/the Season:

Good cheer. It is true that most people are just a little more friendly this time of year. I like that.

The lights - I read a very interesting analysis of how candles, lights, the Christmas tree and other green things displayed int he homes are all efforts at bringing vestiges of Spring and longer days into the home during the darkest times. Its a nice sentiment and something Hannukah and Christmas both share.

A subset of the lights here in New Mexico are luminarias (or ferrolitos, depending on where you are). These are brown paper bags filled with sand and a candle and folks put them ot by the thousands - lining the tops of buildings, walkways, anything. The effect on Christmas eve is really moving.

Time off. Despite my lack of formal religious participation, I like spending extended time with the family. Especially in the dark days of winter.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Call me a grinch, scrooge, whatever but I really don't care for Christmas at all.
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    Bah humbug.
    Just wait until you hear the crunch of snow, see the glow of the lights and taste the roasted almonds. Come on!

Fine I won't try to convert everyone...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Ah shite....this means it's Secretion Santa time again.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Just wait until you hear the crunch of snow...
    You know I live in Canada, right?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Isn't there already a NEVERENDING holiday music thread?

Don't mind a rehearsal of Xmas this and Jingle Bells that in late October. If the concert was in November, it'd be a different story.

My own celebrating has been ramping down for the last couple decades. I doubt I will buy any gifts this year (and fairly certain that I won't get any). Maybe I will do the "all good Jews" thing and go eat Chinese and see a movie on the 25th. That'd be nice.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    You know I live in Canada, right?
    Point taken. Well what about the other stuff...

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I love Christmas. I love the snow, the weather, the time spent with family, being inside on a cold day with my daughter and blanket watching Christmas movies, shopping for gifts (don't really even need to receive gifts, just like the giving!), the eggnog (w/ whiskey), the lights

Yes, the commercial side gets way blown out of proportion, but for me it's everything else that makes it special.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What is Christmas to you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 4:44 PM
  2. Merry Christmas!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 Dec 2004, 10:28 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 01 Dec 2004, 12:26 PM