Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Quotes of All Time...

Registered
    Nov 2009

Best Quotes of All Time...

I have this application on my iGoogle homepage that gives me a new famous or quirky quote every time I go to my homepage. I must say, the app gives me some great ones. Of the quotes I have seen that have made me smile, two stand out the most.
    Sex with love is the greatest thing in life. But sex without love - that's not so bad either.
    - Mae West
    and
    You are not permitted to kill a woman who has wronged you, but nothing forbids you to reflect that she is growing older every minute. You are avenged 1440 times a day.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well, in honor of the 100th anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birthday this Sunday, here are some of my favorites from the "Great Communicator":

First, some serious ones:
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I know in my heart that man is good.
    That what is right will always eventually triumph.
    And there's purpose and worth to each and every life."

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"

And some funny ones:
    "Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15"

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes." (jokingly said during a microphone test)

"Honey, I forgot to duck." (said to Nancy after assassination attempt)

"I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." (said during a debate with Walter Mondale)

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Democracy

One of this Bear's favorites.....

"Democracy should be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine (who would have turned 70 recently).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sisterceleste and Trail Nazi before my first "date" with RJ, when I was feeling kind of chubby:

"He won't care as long as you're naked." I won't say where the date went, but I loved the quote.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    As long as we're doing quotes from other Cyburbians:

"If you allow crap to be built, you're going to have to live with it for at least 50 years."
    -- TexanOkie
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If they opened a Taco Bell in Mexico, what would their slogan be "stay where you are?" - George Lopez

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    And some funny ones
    And even though he wasn't the first to say it, don't forget "go ahead make my day" (in reference to vetoing any proposed tax increases)
    Last edited by Maister; 07 Feb 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My favorite quote of late comes from Daniel Rahe, age 30, from Tacoma: "Of all the things I've become attached to, the ones I superglued to myself caused me the greatest regret."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw another one "The creator of the universe works in mysterious ways. But he uses a base ten counting system and likes round numbers." Scott Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

"I would rather have him inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in." Lyndon Baines Johnson in response to why he kept J. Edgar Hoover as head of the FBI.
    Last edited by ofos; 07 Feb 2011 at 6:47 PM.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2009
    "I'm not against the police; I'm just afraid of them".

- Alfred Hitchcock

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Zappa Quote

From Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention's Billy The Mountain.....

"Don't f--- with a mountain."

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    "Remember; no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    "The same old doo-doo"

Herald Washington - former Mayor, City of Chicago

"Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"

Richard J Daley - former Mayor, City of Chicago

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    "The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior." Henry David Thoreau

"Don't argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to your level and beat you with experience" ??

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    "Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage or by removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder." -Ambrose Bierce

^ Sounds like this guy needs a hug!

Registered
    May 2005
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

TDR
    "Citizenship in a Republic,"
    Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    "Love: A temporary insanity curable by ... by removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder." -Ambrose Bierce

^ Sounds like this guy needs a hug!
    Off-topic:
    That helps explain why I am still single - never let anybody outside of family get to close

Registered
    Nov 2009
    "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion."
    - Carl Sagan, 1987
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2010
    "Don't blame the dildos!"
    Bob Odenkirk

"I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"
    Bender

"You know. I was God once."
    God: "I know, you were doing fine until everyone died."

"Ahhh women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Nietzsche

And of course, my favorite quote of all time (hence my name):

"I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all!
    The terrifying lows!
    The dizzying highs!
    The creamy middles!
    Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    'Unless somelike you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." - Theodar Geisel (aka Dr. Suess) from "The Lorax"

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"The most important attribute to success are the people you surround yourself with" - Urban Meyer
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    "To alcohol- the cause of, and the solution to all of life's problems" -Homer Simpson
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Development is when you know the answer, but not how to get there. Applied research is when you know the question, but not the answer. Pure research is when you don't know the question.
    -- Nick MacLaren

We need to make the pie higher.
    -- George W. Bush

Women do not find it difficult nowadays to behave like men, but they often find it extremely difficult to behave like gentlemen.
    -Sir Compton Mackenzie

In times of change, the learners inherit the earth - the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to understand a world that no longer exists.
    -- Eric Hoffer
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Can't have too many Homer Simpson quotes:

I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals flaming.
    Louis CK (with necessary video accompaniment):

"We live in an amazing, amazing world, and it's wasted on the crappiest generation of spoiled idiots."
    John Lennon:

Avant garde is French for bullshit.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "They looked a lot better as tin cans".

JImmy Buffett, referring to trailers in Fl. Well, I agree.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Quotes you are fond of
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 8:49 AM
  2. Freedom Quotes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jul 2005, 4:06 PM
  3. Favorite Quotes