Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2011 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

The stove is warming up...winter meetings...contract talks...Spring Training...Pitchers and Catchers report in 106 days.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Reds.... that is all
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Rumor has it that the Tigers might outbid everyone for VMart. Not sure that's the best thing to do.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Speaking of the Reds and Tigers, did y'all see that Sparky Anderson was hospitalized for dementia, and then put in hospice care? Apparently he's not doing well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5759008

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Speaking of the Reds and Tigers, did y'all see that Sparky Anderson was hospitalized for dementia, and then put in hospice care? Apparently he's not doing well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5759008
    There's probably more reaction to this story in the 2 Detroit dailies than the midterm elections. The man is a king in Michigan. Nothing akin to Ernie Harwell, but he was very much loved.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Carl Crawford stays in division and goes to Red Sox
    Jason Werth stays in division and goes to the Nationals
    Jeter gets extension

The Royals are becoming Atlanta West - have Francouer, Melky, Blanco and others.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I think the Reds (and Hink) will he happy with this investment: Reds, Jay Bruce Agree to Deal.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The Royals are becoming Atlanta West - have Francouer, Melky, Blanco and others.
    There are at least seven former Braves on their 40-man roster.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

I wish the Cardinals would just announce agreement with Mr. Pujols on a seven-year AAV $30M deal that keeps him with the Birds on the Bat for the remainder of his storied career, and that the details will be worked out later. (There'll be another, smaller contract after this one --similar to Jeter's -- then a personal services contract for after his playing days. Let's get this done, Mr DeWitt.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    There are at least seven former Braves on their 40-man roster.
    I know. Ya think Drayton Moore likes where he came from?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It really must be comforting for the Braves players to know that if they're ever released, they'll automatically have a spot on KC's roster.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I just hope to god the Rangers can sign Cliff Lee so he doesn't end up in pinstripes..

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    It really must be comforting for the Braves players to know that if they're ever released, they'll automatically have a spot on KC's roster.
    And if you can play RF they will overpay...I wondered what happened to Gregor Blanco...I see he is also a Royal.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Cliff Lee goes to the Phillies - Their statrting rotation now is Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels, Lee & Blanton. There hasn't been a pitching rotation like this since the Braves of the 90s.

Lee left 2 years and $30 mil on the table from the yankmees and Rangers. Persoanlly I'm glad he didn't want to wear blue pinstripes and I would have like to see him stay in Texas. I don't like that he is wearing red pinstripes in the NLEast (against the Braves).

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Cliff Lee goes to the Phillies - Their statrting rotation now is Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels, Lee & Blanton.
    Yeah...that's going to be fun.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Cliff Lee goes to the Phillies - Their statrting rotation now is Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels, Lee & Blanton. There hasn't been a pitching rotation like this since the Braves of the 90s.

Lee left 2 years and $30 mil on the table from the yankmees and Rangers. Persoanlly I'm glad he didn't want to wear blue pinstripes and I would have like to see him stay in Texas. I don't like that he is wearing red pinstripes in the NLEast (against the Braves).
    I would argue if they stay healthy that they will be the best lineup in baseball history. Top 4 are all all-stars and Blanton is better than average. Wow.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Strangely, I'm not even disappointed that Lee didn't go to the Rangers. It will allow them to take care of some of their current staff and get some more talent as well. And...the Yankees lost him...Again!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2006

The Phils have a questionable pen and their outfield is almost collecting social security. The Phils are beatable...just not until the 7th inning.

I have a ton of respect for Lee for going to a place that made the most sense for his family rather than just going where the money is. From what I understand his child has recieved cancer treatment at CHOP and that was a big part of his decision of going back to Philly.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2007
    ESPN is reporting that the Rangers are close to signing a multi-year deal with free-agent 3rd baseman Adrian Beltre. If this happens, what's going to happen to Michael Young, arguably the most loyal Ranger on the roster? He already took one for the team a few years ago by moving from SS to 3B to accommodate Elvis Andrus. Young's contract is good through 2013, and even he's expecting to retire when his contract is up, Beltre isn't that much younger than Young (Young is 34, Beltre 31).

Michael Young has been my favorite player since shortly after he joined the Rangers a decade ago. He's a class act, loyal, a great team leader, and is very active in the local Dallas-Fort Worth community. I hope he doesn't get the shaft.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    ESPN is reporting that the Rangers are close to signing a multi-year deal with free-agent 3rd baseman Adrian Beltre. If this happens, what's going to happen to Michael Young, arguably the most loyal Ranger on the roster? He already took one for the team a few years ago by moving from SS to 3B to accommodate Elvis Andrus. Young's contract is good through 2013, and even he's expecting to retire when his contract is up, Beltre isn't that much younger than Young (Young is 34, Beltre 31).

Michael Young has been my favorite player since shortly after he joined the Rangers a decade ago. He's a class act, loyal, a great team leader, and is very active in the local Dallas-Fort Worth community. I hope he doesn't get the shaft.
    I heard that he might be moving to 2nd base where is was originally until he moved up tot he parent club to be SS.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I heard that he might be moving to 2nd base where is was originally until he moved up tot he parent club to be SS.
    Ultimately, almost every player's skills diminish faster than their fan loyalty and it becomes a business decision for the club. I'd expect him to DH and be a utility infielder as needed.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    30 days 'til Pitchers & Catchers report!

(and 74 'til Opening Day)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    So the Tampa Bay Rays sign both Johnny Damon and Manny Ramierez to one year contracts to fill the whole left by Carl Crawford's departure to Boston. I hope these two RedSox retreads have got some punch left in them.

Prediction: Manny will be the most loved at Spring Training and the most hated by September. Total shock right? At least the entertain factor will be available.

It will be an interesting AL East. The yankmees have no pitching and are old, the RedSox should be good, but also hurt in pitching, the Rays have no bullpen left, the Oriloes and Jays seem to be always rebuilding.

Registered
    Mar 2005

from the 'You Need to Know' files

Spring training games on ESPN
    All times ET.

Date Time Matchup
    3/3 1 PM DET at ATL - ESPN
    3/14 7 PM NYY at BOS - ESPN2
    3/16 1 PM BOS at ATL - ESPN
    3/21 1 PM BOS at PHI - ESPN
    3/22 1 PM NYY at BAL - ESPN
    3/23 1 PM NYM at STL - ESPN
    3/24 5 PM CHW at CHC - ESPN2
    3/25 1 PM ATL at PHI - ESPN
    3/26 4 PM CHC at TEX - ESPN2
    3/29 1 PM DET at NYY - ESPN

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So the [COLOR="Blue"]
    It will be an interesting AL East. The yankmees have no pitching and are old, the RedSox should be good, but also hurt in pitching, the Rays have no bullpen left, the Oriloes and Jays seem to be always rebuilding.
    I think the Rays will be back in rebuilding mode this year after they traded/ failed to sign so many key players (Garza, Crawford, Pena, Soriano, etc.). They'll probably be better than the O's and Blue Jays, but I don't see how they can compete with the Sox or Yanks. The Sox had a huge off-season and should be the favorites to win the division. I don't think their pitching will be that big of an issue because the bullpen is so stacked and Beckett and Lackey can't possibly pitch as bad as they did last year. Plus they'll be scoring so many runs that it won't matter! Go Sox!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 57
    Last post: 09 Jul 2014, 10:43 AM
  2. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  4. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  5. Replies: 329