Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Hire a driver Miggy! Get some more rehab and actully admit you're an alcoholic!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Hire a driver Miggy! Get some more rehab and actully admit you're an alcoholic!!
    And by golly do that all before April 2nd!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm kind of curious as to what the future holds for the Mets with their current front-office problems.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I'm kind of curious as to what the future holds for the Mets with their current front-office problems.

Mike
    Last place in the NL East
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I hear the first time wasn't his fault. A planner from the Hills was buying him shots at the Townsend to get him to autograph his baseballs.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I hear the first time wasn't his fault. A planner from the Hills was buying him shots at the Townsend to get him to autograph his baseballs.
    I knew there was more to that story!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've always been a secret Twins fan.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I've always been a secret Twins fan.
    Well, me too... But it's only happened once and... oh wait, this is a baseball thread. Carry on!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Bad news for the Cardinals - Wainwright gone for the season. That's going to be tough to absorb.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I love spring training. I took the day of work and headed to Scottsdale to see the World Champion Giants defeat the D'Backs.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Go Tigers!

With the exhibition games just starting, let me say, once again.....

Go Tigers!

Detroit's ball club should be competitive this year. Last year's string of injuries slammed the door on what was a nice first half of the season. No injuries, please.

Tigers have a solid lineup, a staff that might be among baseball's best, solid middle relievers and solid closers. No injuries, please.

Weak at catching, because Victor will not be behind the plate too much.

Here comes a new season. Tigers are in 1st place!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I love spring training. I took the day of work and headed to Scottsdale to see the World Champion Giants defeat the D'Backs.
    I"M JEALOUS!

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Bad news for the Cardinals - Wainwright gone for the season. That's going to be tough to absorb.
    The only silver lining is he should be as good as new when he recovers. But, it's going to be real difficult for The Birds on the Bat to replace Waino. "Don Tony" does, however, like being an underdog and typically gets his teams to respond.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Just out of curioiusty, how do you guys follow your respective team if you live "out of market". For instance, I live in the southern california market, so i get pounded with dodgers/angels crap. For my Giants fix last year i a few options:

a) listen to the game on the am band which carries Giants game unless the Lakers are on, which preempts them
    b) catch games via MLB at the Bat mobile app. For $15 bucks i got live audio anywhere with my phone, plus in game highlights and a free game a day (live video). Eats up my battery though
    c) National game on ESPN or TBS or fox saturday game of the week
    d) when the gmen play the dodgers on either Primeticket (FSN West) or local KCAL 9 (hottest news anchors ever btw).
    e) crappy easy coast biased ESPN highlights

So how do you guys stay on top?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Just out of curioiusty, how do you guys follow your respective team if you live "out of market". For instance, I live in the southern california market, so i get pounded with dodgers/angels crap. For my Giants fix last year i a few options:

a) listen to the game on the am band which carries Giants game unless the Lakers are on, which preempts them
    b) catch games via MLB at the Bat mobile app. For $15 bucks i got live audio anywhere with my phone, plus in game highlights and a free game a day (live video). Eats up my battery though
    c) National game on ESPN or TBS or fox saturday game of the week
    d) when the gmen play the dodgers on either Primeticket (FSN West) or local KCAL 9 (hottest news anchors ever btw).
    e) crappy easy coast biased ESPN highlights

So how do you guys stay on top?
    I'm kind of in your boat - halfway in between two market areas, yet slightly closer to one (I'm talking about 50 miles closer, if that) so it's been given to the other team (I'm a Rangers fan, and Austin is in the Astros' market). I use similar elements as you noted above, adjusting for geographical name differences. I've also occasionally used MLB GameDay along with the radio (I also usually have a GameDay window up and placed in the corner of my computer screen, sans radio, if there's a day game and I'm at work). I've contemplated buying MLB network or buying a package on MLB.tv, but I can't seem to justify the cost.

I also check the Rangers' website daily, and usually will hit up the ESPN Rangers team page, as well, especially if I can't catch a game.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I've contemplated buying MLB network or buying a package on MLB.tv, but I can't seem to justify the cost.
    They gave that to me as a gift for the end of the season for being a At the Bat Mobile season subscriber, but it is tough to justify $99 a season cost when i have kids and other stuff I can easily apply that too, which is why i like the $15 radio app. Plus i can't really be glued to live video during the day, yanno work .
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Mar 2005
    3 Days & Counting!

There are a couple teams "eating" big salaries - sure would be nice to earn several million to leave the team and do nothing - C. Silva (11.5), L. Castillo (6), O. Perez (12), although Castillo & Perez are trying to make other teams rosters.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Braves Win! Braves Win!
    Happy Opening Day!!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm sorry but there were not 9000 people in attendance at Jacobs field last night, maybe half that. Also, there were a lot of empty seats for the Cardinal's home opener last week. Is attendance down?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Reds.... that is all
    Just reiterating my point.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Apparently I picked a good time to move to Kansas City. Royals as contenders this year??? Stranger things have happened...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Apparently I picked a good time to move to Kansas City. Royals as contenders this year??? Stranger things have happened...
    The Royals always seem to start out hot in April and then fade away..

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    The Royals always seem to start out hot in April and then fade away..
    There is an article in this month's ESPN Magazine about the Royals and their farm system. The folks at ESPN believe the Royals will become contenders in their division (and perhaps the whole league) by 2015. They compared them to the Yankees in the late 80's/early 90's in terms of talent being developed in their farm system.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    There is an article in this month's ESPN Magazine about the Royals and their farm system. The folks at ESPN believe the Royals will become contenders in their division (and perhaps the whole league) by 2015. They compared them to the Yankees in the late 80's/early 90's in terms of talent being developed in their farm system.
    They had a good, quick, discussion of that exact topic on the Slate sports podcast, Hang Up and Listen, a few weeks ago.

As a Tiger fan, it was nice to see our bats come alive in the new Yankee Stadium last week (who's don't there though?) hopefully we can use the remaining two games in Baltimore this week to show that the Orioles pitching isn't all it's being portrayed as. The birds have only given up 4 runs this season so far? Seriously? Come on Tigers, let's show them what Miggy and Bosch and Mags can do!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Manny being Manny...

Well you knew it had to happen sometime. Manny was going to screw around and the Rays will be left to figure it out with a replacement. So much for my Manny Prediction, although it didn't take as long as September...

For the year, he went 1-17, made $87,000 and said bye-bye with retiring (instead of the 100 game suspension).

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 156
    Last post: 03 Nov 2014, 10:39 AM
  2. Replies: 295
    Last post: 01 Nov 2013, 11:29 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 12:25 PM
  4. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 12:02 PM
  5. Replies: 329