Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010 elections: what went on locally?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

2010 elections: what went on locally?

Our local elections were pretty fascinating. I've long been proud of my county for being a "purple county" with a balanced mix of moderate democrats and moderate republicans, with little extremism. I saw that come to an end last night with a couple of firebrand republicans winning unexpected seats, due in large part to straight-ticket voting.

A proposal to annex into the community college taxing district was soundly defeated. This came to us before, but never made the ballot due to petition fraud. This time, people still remembered that incident (causing distrust) and in this economy, folks weren't willing to sign-up for the property tax increase that came with it. In addition, people were concerned about local control, as representation on the community college board would be limited and it is impossible to remove the local school district from the community college district once it occurs.

A proposal was approved for some park improvements that will result in the local Lions Club continuing to run programs over there (this is a good thing).

Developer-supported candidates dominated my city council elections. Look for more city staff at the local bars after 5pm. Hell, you might have to watch for that at lunch.

A very independent democrat state representative (i.e. endorsed by the NRA, Chamber of Commerce and Sierra Club) lost to an upstart Republican with no experience on elected bodies (and who was supported by a bunch of developers). The independent democrat deserved to get scared in this election because of his performance in the last session, but it looks like he'll spend the next couple of years contemplating where he went wrong.

The single most concerning thing is that for the first time in my area, national politics trickled all the way down to local elections. I'm a bit concerned about that phenomenon, as it has resulted in some *ahem* interesting candidates scoring victories in down-ballot elections.

Overall, I'm kind of bummed about what went on in my county--I liked it purple. I always liked the fact that we were an example of republicans and democrats playing nice with one another, and I think some great policies resulted from that collaboration.

Oh, and apparently we're going to change Governor Good Hair's title to King, since apparently he is governor for life now in Texas.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 03 Nov 2010 at 10:06 AM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I am very glad that I don't have to move out of New York State since New Yorkers decisively rejected racist, sexist, homophobic bigot and hypocrite extraordinaire Carl Paladino.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A local ballot initiative to change our Highway Superintendent position from an elected to appointed (by the Town Board) position was defeated by a 3:1 ratio.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    In my particular state governor's race, state house district, state senate district, and county precinct, all the incumbents won.

Woo. Hope, change, tea party, whatever. It's all a joke.

Perry's reelected, only to immediately leave on a national book tour in preparation for a 2012 presidential bid. He'll probably win that, too. The only reason he wouldn't is if the economy picks back up or people still have a sour taste in their mouths about Texas politicians in the oval office.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Commissioners elected are good for our jobs.

I don't need to say anymore than 68% of the voters voted straight republican party ballot. Color us red, very red.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Color us red, very red.
    I think many people can say that today. Ohio went pretty darn red. Governor, Senate, and many of the house seats.

Locally, we went much more R than normal, and when the redistricting occurs, the R's will have to be fighting with each other over who loses area...

Health levy passed, school levies failed. No more taxes says the signs...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    New Mexico is a mixed bag. All House Rep incumbents won (2 D, 1 R), the Governorship switched from D to R with Susana Martinez winning*, and Secretary of State incumbent (D) lost to an R (I did not vote for either - the D made some bad ethical decisions and deserved to leave office IMO). The other big one for me is the Country Sheriff here - the R beat out the D (which is a good thing IMO - the D was notably corrupt).

*this one is a pretty big deal, though the state senate is in the Ds hand so she can't do a whole lot without cooperation. But the new governor scares me a bit. She is pretty angry, hard-charging, and has intimated trying to pass anti-immigration laws like Arizona in NM (which would never happen in the current political climate here, but just that she is talking about it...) We'll see...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Indiana voters overwhelmingly decided to amend the state constitution to enshrine caps on property taxes, by a margin of 3.5:1! Local governments and schools are going to be hurt, big time.

Republicans have strong majorities in both the state house and senate. Gov Daniels has the opportunity to enact much of his agenda and set himself up very well for a run at the next level. (Personally, I agree with much of the government modernization plans in the Kernan-Shepherd report, but expect there to be fights even with the red majorities.)

The only vestiges of blue left in my county (and the county next door for that matter) are in the oldest parts of the cities. Even reviewing local precincts, the red men did very well.

We, too, sent some tea-stained wretches into office. Apparently, a lot of my cohorts and elders are nothing better than lemmings.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    In my county, quite a few communities had millage proposals on the ballots specifically for increased funding for libraries (or for re/joining a neighboring community's library system) and for increased funding for police/fire/EMS. There were also a few general school bond proposals.

Nearly all of these proposals passed, even in communities with a lot of Tea Party activity or big Republican turnouts. There were a couple exceptions though:
    • One city had a particularly complicated library funding millage proposal that was actually 4 seperate small millage increases to fund a new library system. The current library system lost its funding due to a budget deficit but it is also one of the largest and busiest suburban libraries. I think the proposal was way too complicated to pass.
    • A nearby school district, which is made up of part of one township and a city which is among the wealthiest in the country, and lately a stronghold of Democratic fundraising voted down a bond proposal that was supposed to help build a massive new high school and close the two smaller ones in the district. I watched this one closely because the district boundry is a block away and I was very interested in the outcome. The school board was acting very secretively, wanted to pass a bond that was for about 100% more than what was needed according to multiple engineering and architecture firms, and wouldn't commit to what their actual plan was before putting it to a public vote. I am very much opposed to the trend towards the new massive high schools so I am glad that one failed. The same community also voted against officially joining the township's library system by a pretty big margin. Up until a few years ago, the township offered the city residents the ability to pay a yearly fee if they wanted a library card but they took that away because it was supposedly costing the township too much to do that and they were losing out on the deal. There are a lot of old people in that city and not many children and I imagine a lot of the residents are gone half the year or so anyway (and many of the houses are the types that probably have their own library anyway! ) so I'm not too surprised that the library millage failed there.
    • A township to the north passed a millage renewal for their police department by a pretty wide margin but there was another proposal on their ballot that would increase the millage by an additional small amount. It looks to have failed by 2 votes. That seems to be the tightest margin I have found locally.

Another proposal I was watching closely was in a community just to the south of me, which a certain bicycle loving Cyburbian-regular is familiar with. They thankfully passed a millage that will allow them to rejoin another community's library system. We looked at a few homes in that community and at the time we were looking, they had no library privileges and we did actually factor that into our non-purchase there.

The U.S. Congressional district I live in, which currently has a freshman Democrat in office, narrowly re-elected him. However, I have a feeling that in a few years when the redistricting process is gone, this district (Michigan's 9th) will be one of the ones that will get taken away.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Another proposal I was watching closely was in a community just to the south of me, which a certain bicycle loving Cyburbian-regular is familiar with. They thankfully passed a millage that will allow them to rejoin another community's library system. We looked at a few homes in that community and at the time we were looking, they had no library privileges and we did actually factor that into our non-purchase there...
    I did not know that. One of the souvenirs I collected from my late mama's wallet was her library card, and at the time (1999) that little burg had exchange rights with several local libraries.

On the state level, we won't be having a constitutional convention, But "Kwame's Law" passed; convicted felons are prohibited from elected office for 20 years.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I did not know that. One of the souvenirs I collected from my late mama's wallet was her library card, and at the time (1999) that little burg had exchange rights with several local libraries.
    I think they failed to renew the library millage maybe only 2 years ago so it wasn't a long gap.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    On the state level... "Kwame's Law" passed; convicted felons are prohibited from elected office for 20 years.
    I had never even heard of this proposal until I saw it on the ballot and I immediately thought of it as The Kwame Proposal. I would have loved to have seen a TV commercial about it and have them call it that outright. I would have lol'ed.

I'm a little saddened that the Constitutional Convention proposal failed.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Locally all our elected positions kept their jobs, both R and D. Our Federally-elected positions all kept their jobs, both R. and D., but our governor switched from D to R.

So here there was really no "shake-up." IMO it's because things are going okay. People are working, government never overspent what we brought in, etc.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2005
    Well the Michigan House and Governorship went from D to R. The Senate stayed R, so all three are R for the first time in an extremely long time.

No more excuses about partisan politics when it comes to fixing Michigan's budget mess.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Rs had a very good day in Wisconsin, likely the best of all 50 states. They picked up the governorship and both houses of the state legislature from the ds. The state's DISASTROUS budget situation - its deficit is worse on a per-capita basis than California's - was a huge issue.

They also unseated three-term incumbant USSenator Russ Feingold and picked up two USHouse seats, one of them (my home district) saw a local businessguy (Reid Ribble) unseating a sitting incumbant (Steve Kagen). The other was the seat of outgoing Democrat David Obey (he held that seat since 1974), who was not running for re-election.

Wisconsin's USHouse party balance is now 5 - R/3 - D.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    No more excuses about partisan politics when it comes to fixing Michigan's budget mess.
    What?? Michigan has a budget mess? I live about 2 blocks from Dingell country. This guy has been in office since 1955.. YES 1955! I was shocked to see that he was almost unseated by a Republican. Times they are a changing.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Indiana voters overwhelmingly decided to amend the state constitution to enshrine caps on property taxes, by a margin of 3.5:1! Local governments and schools are going to be hurt, big time.
    We, too, sent some tea-stained wretches into office. Apparently, a lot of my cohorts and elders are nothing better than lemmings.
    I was concerned that this was going the pass and am not suprised in the least that it did. Since I having aging family members in Indiana, I am very concerned. By the time the R's get done trashing government at all levels in Indiana, the services that local government provides won't be worth crap.
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 03 Nov 2010 at 1:49 PM. Reason: A cooler head prevailed
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The insanity has stopped! Measures allowing retail beer and wine sales as well as restaurant alcohol sales throughout the City of Dallas both passed. Stupid wet and dry areas will go away along with the hypocrisy of "private" club memberships.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I am very glad that I don't have to move out of New York State since New Yorkers decisively rejected racist, sexist, homophobic bigot and hypocrite extraordinaire Carl Paladino.
    The spell checker recommends "Palomino's" for "Paladino's".

Oddly, the seven-county Western New York region went for Paladino. Seems odd, because Buffalo and the surrounding suburbs are fairly blue. Probably the hometown boy vote.

I'm surprised Cuomo's campaign also didn't mention Paladino's demolition-by-neglect approach to development.

An Upstater has about the same chance of getting elected governor of New York as a gay Muslim has of becoming president.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    The insanity has stopped! Measures allowing retail beer and wine sales as well as restaurant alcohol sales throughout the City of Dallas both passed. Stupid wet and dry areas will go away along with the hypocrisy of "private" club memberships.
    Yes! And several small municipalities around Dallas have also gone completely wet! Mine already was wet, that fight having been fought before we moved here.

I never really understood the "this will bring more crime" side of the argument.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2009
    In Illinois it's too close to call still in the governors race between Pat Quinn (D) and Bill Brady (R). Could be a re-count.

The (R) Mark Kirk took over Obama's vacated senate seat so now there is one Rep. and one Dem. for Illinois.

And finally, after the whole Blago debacle voters overwhelmingly supported a measure that would amend the constitution of the state to allow for recall of a governor and holding of a special election if a governor is impeached.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Ouch. Did you know that even Utah beat you to doing away with the private club thing? I think we did that two years ago now. Does that sting?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    In addition to what Rygor mentioned about Illinois:
    Republicans also picked up 4 U.S. House seats in IL: three suburban seats (8th, 11th, 14th), and the western IL seat (17th). Republicans also managed to hold onto the 10th congressional seat vacated by new Senator Mark Kirk. Republicans now control a majority of U.S. House seats in IL, 11-8.

Two seasoned well-known Republicans picked up two statewide offices from the Dems: the Comptroller and the Treasurer.

Very locally, a referendum to build a new township hall was defeated 85-15. And Republicans did very well in the countywide and county board races in the collar counties. My friend won his county clerk race 58-42.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 1998
    School bond issue for a second middle school was soundly defeated. The most recurring argument against this school is that "we wouldn't need it if we got rid of the illegals and anchor babies. Why use our taxes to subsidize 'those people"!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Ouch. Did you know that even Utah beat you to doing away with the private club thing? I think we did that two years ago now. Does that sting?
    There is still a lot of Texas to be conquered. Personally, I deal with the sting of dryness with a large private cache of adult beverages.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ouch!

We had a local school funding extension denied for the third time My kids may not have access to music, art or PE classes next year, not to mention the pending 35:1 student teacher ratio

One of our (D) state senators was un-elected....sad because of all the support we were getting through the political connections.

No medical Mary Jane in Arizona Yet.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Cyburbia FAC Elections 2012
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 99
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 12:26 PM
  2. APA Elections...
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Mar 2004, 8:44 AM