Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NFIP prefered risk policies

Registered
    Mar 2003

NFIP prefered risk policies

I know there are not alot of us Floodplain Managers here in Cyburbia Land but there are a few.

We only had one small city remapped during Map Mod.

Now with Risk Map we are heading toward remapping. They have sent an RFP out for bid on LiDar and are planning on flying that this winter and then getting us new maps shortly after that. By shortly I really mean a few years.

I kind of understand what the process is but FEMA changes things so often that you have to keep right on top of it so you don't miss anything.

Today they held a WEBINAR on Prefered Risk Policies. It seems much better than it was before. They are doing a two year extention which will be really nice.

Anybody else out there want to discuss what they understand about PRP's???
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am also a FP manager and we did remap recently. Took about...4 years total. We did get letters out to property owners so they could buy at the lower rates. Many of them did not heed our warning and now we're in HELL issuing letters to insurance companies stating when the structures were built and that they were out of the FP at the time of construction. So much fun.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    In the Association of State Floodplain Managers newsletter today, there is a "white paper" on Administrative Grandfathering. The ASFPM recommends that Grandfathering be eliminated. I do not agree with that on a planning front.

The whole premise of planning and zoning is to not punish things that were done in the past and to move forward from that point on.

I do however understand being solvent. It would appear from the information I recieved via webinar, FEMA did not head the information of the white paper and went in the opposite direction by creating the new 2 yr PRP.

It is so hard to keep up with the changes.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 4:11 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Oct 2008, 11:13 PM
  3. Your prefered habitat
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 76
    Last post: 29 Oct 2007, 10:36 AM
  4. Levee risk list