Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rutgers Bloustein School Admitted Student Open House 2011 - March 31st!

Registered
    Feb 2010

Rutgers Bloustein School Admitted Student Open House 2011 - March 31st!

Hello Future Students of Bloustein!

My name is Garrett Hincken and I am currently a student at Bloustein (MCRP ’11). My colleague Vanessa Matthews (MPP ’11) and I have started this thread to help welcome the incoming class of Fall 2011.

We hope that this can be a way for incoming students to get to know their future colleagues, friends, and roommates. In years past, cyburbia has helped connect incoming students with each other and has been responsible for many a roommate success story. We hope you’ll use this space to get to know each other and, of course, post any questions you may have about the program, open house, life in New Brunswick, apartments, or whatever really. We’re excited to meet next year’s cohort and are eager to bring you guys into the Bloustein community.

Vanessa and I will be checking in here to see if there’s anything we can help with. Or if you want to get in touch with us directly, feel free to drop us a line at openhouse@policy.rutgers.edu .

We looking forward to meeting all of you here at our open house on March 31st!

See you soon,

Garrett & Vanessa

Registered
    Mar 2011

Hey! Accepted at Bloustein

Hi Garrett and Vanessa!

Glad you started a group! I was admitted last year and deferred because I've been doing a Masters in Hungary but excited to come to Rutgers in the Fall! I studied in Delaware for my undergrad and have been studying Int'l Relations here in Budapest, Hungary for a year and really like the city. I won't be at the Open House this year because I wont be back but had a real good time at last years.

Will be looking for apartment mates/housing in New Brunswick soon too. : )

Who else is coming?!

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Garrett and Vanessa!

Have admissions decisions started going out?

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Admissions decisions have not gone out just yet, but I'm told it will happen very soon.. If you applied by January 15th, you should be hearing something this week.

-Garrett

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Bloustein_Open House View post
    Admissions decisions have not gone out just yet, but I'm told it will happen very soon.. If you applied by January 15th, you should be hearing something this week.

-Garrett
    Hey Garrett and Vanessa,

May be a dumb question, but does Rutgers or the Department award travel reimbursements? I know some schools do it at the Phd level but I'm unsure of the masters level.

Thank you!

Registered
    Jan 2011

Visting at a later date

Although, I was admitted for the Fall 2011 term I will be not be able to make the Open House on March 31st. I will, however, make plans to visit at the end of April. Hope to see you all soon.

P.S. Vanessa - Thank You for your help;I received your message regarding the decision date.

Marvin

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Okkoflo View post
    Hey Garrett and Vanessa,

May be a dumb question, but does Rutgers or the Department award travel reimbursements? I know some schools do it at the Phd level but I'm unsure of the masters level.

Thank you!
    For open house? There's no travel reimbursement for open house, however we have a (limited) number of current students who have offered to host a visiting student for a night or two. We'll be matching people up on first-come first-served basis.

Does that answer your question? If not, please shoot me an email at openhouse@policy.rutgers.edu

-G

deadline question

Hi Vanessa & Garrett,

I'm looking forward to meeting both of you and admitted students on March 31. Do you guys know what the deadline is for admitted students to respond to admissions? It doesn't say in my acceptance letter or anywhere in the Bloustein School website...

-Boram

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by bluexsky921 View post
    Hi Vanessa & Garrett,

I'm looking forward to meeting both of you and admitted students on March 31. Do you guys know what the deadline is for admitted students to respond to admissions? It doesn't say in my acceptance letter or anywhere in the Bloustein School website...

-Boram
    Nope - no deadline. It will stay open until you make a choice.

See you in a few weeks,
    G

Any word on when funding decisions will be issued?

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by bratwurst View post
    Any word on when funding decisions will be issued?
    I don't know much about that, but I'm told that they are in process and offers will be going out over the next few weeks..

-G

Housing

Hi All,

Does anyone have any insight into housing options? It seems that the only grad housing on the College Ave campus is Ford Hall, which has no a/c. Maybe that isn't a big deal in NJ, but coming from TX it seems barbaric. Also, the kitchen is in the stairwell?

Anyway, if anyone has any nuggets of wisdom, please pass them along.

Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by alo1017 View post
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any insight into housing options? It seems that the only grad housing on the College Ave campus is Ford Hall, which has no a/c. Maybe that isn't a big deal in NJ, but coming from TX it seems barbaric. Also, the kitchen is in the stairwell?

Anyway, if anyone has any nuggets of wisdom, please pass them along.

Thanks!
    For campus housing (http://ruoncampus.rutgers.edu/), I would suggest you keep all the New Brunswick campuses in mind. For instance, I know a number of our students live on Cook-Douglass, which is also convenient to Bloustein. College Ave is close by, but we are essentially our own downtown campus.

For off-campus stuff, check out the the Rutgers off-campus housing site at http://ruoffcampus.rutgers.edu/

-G

I'm one of the admitted students for the Fall 2011 MCRP program. Please give me an advice :)

Hi Garrett and people in the Bloustein community,

I also really want to attend the open house but I don't think I can make it because I'm an international student. too bad

Is there someone who can help me learn more about Bloustein here?

Since 'Green Transportation' or 'Green City' for a low carbon future (okay, green but state-of-the-art!) is my interest, I might find some interesting projects, publications and classes from professor Clinton Andrews, John Pucher and Robert Noland. Could you let me know other professors who have research interests that are closer to mine? What's their on-going project or research? You could recommend their publications for me to understand their forte. You may also tell me about works of the three professors I mentioned above as well

It could be irrelevant thread but the fact that I have to make a decision for my future school without visiting the school and knowing the school fully is too harsh!! ahhh
    Your real information will be very much helpful.

I thank you in advance for your help!!!
    Last edited by alicia12; 30 Mar 2011 at 4:42 AM. Reason: to add some remarks

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by alicia12 View post

I also really want to attend the open house but I don't think I can make it because I'm an international student. too bad

Since 'Green Transportation' or 'Green City' for a low carbon future (okay, green but state-of-the-art!) is my interest, I might find some interesting projects, publications and classes from professor Clinton Andrews, John Pucher and Robert Noland. Could you let me know other professors who have research interests that are closer to mine? What's their on-going project or research? You could recommend their publications for me to understand their forte. You may also tell me about works of the three professors I mentioned above as well

It could be irrelevant thread but the fact that I have to make a decision for my future school without visiting the school and knowing the school fully is too harsh!! ahhh

Hi Alicia!

I was accepted last year and deferred because I went abroad for the year sooo I couldn't go to the Open House this year but went last.

I can't say too much about specifics but I do know me and a couple students ran into John Pucher after the Open House when we were looking at the neighborhoods for housing and he was riding his bike. He was very very friendly and extremely passionate about his field (bike/pedestrian planning) and super accessible and informed. I think he said he hasn't personally driven a car in 10 years. Talk about practicing what you preach. I was impressed. The impression I most remember from the day was that the professors were extremely approachable. I literally went to talk to one afterwards about a class he had mentioned in the Open House and we ended up talking for almost an hour about all his interesting projects in shrinking cities (what I am interested in).

Where are you from? Hope this was helpful!
    Last edited by emmaZ; 06 Apr 2011 at 6:39 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Registered
    Mar 2011

hi!

Quote Originally posted by mlc0920 View post
    Although, I was admitted for the Fall 2011 term I will be not be able to make the Open House on March 31st. I will, however, make plans to visit at the end of April. Hope to see you all soon.

P.S. Vanessa - Thank You for your help;I received your message regarding the decision date.

Marvin
    Hey Marvin!

Where are you from? Have you gotten your aid decision yet? I am still waiting but think it will come soon.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by alicia12 View post

Hi Alicia,

I think you'll find pretty broad support for your interests amongst the faculty here.. More specifically, Prof. Frank Felder comes to mind. Have you looked at our faculty home page (http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/)? You can find descriptions of ongoing research and links to recent publications.

Or if you'd like to discuss your interests with me or a member of the faculty, please get in touch with me at recruit@policy.rutgers.edu and I can set something up for you (over the phone presumably ).

Best,
    Garrett

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    When is the first day of classes/orientation for the program?

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by kip20 View post
    When is the first day of classes/orientation for the program?
    I don't think our calendar for next year is up yet. But generally the first day of orientation is the Wednesday after Labor Day, and then classes start the following day.

-G

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 03 May 2013, 5:12 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 04 May 2012, 9:59 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 31 Mar 2010, 4:46 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 9:53 AM