Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planetizen guide to graduate urban planning programs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Planetizen guide to graduate urban planning programs

Hello,

Does anyone know if this guide is obtainable free of cost, or must it be purchased from www.planetizen.com? Has anyone taken a look at the guide and would you recommend it? Thanks.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It is not free. You must purchase it from Planetizen. But honestly it is pointless. It doesn't do a very good job of much of anything other than to give priority to schools that are traditionally known a bit better.

As for good schools, that report doesn't say a thing.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I would look at the ASCP's "Guide to Undergraduate and Graduate Education in Urban and Regional Planning" Much more detailed and gives you all the info you need and is FREE
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2007
    The only helpful thing I got out of the Planetizen guide was the occasional student evaluations (but they don't have those for every program) and a breakdown of many of the schools' graduates' first employment sectors (i.e. "50% public, 20% private, 15% non-profit, 10% academia, 5% unknown", etc.) and some had median starting salaries of recent grads.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    The only helpful thing I got out of the Planetizen guide was the occasional student evaluations (but they don't have those for every program) and a breakdown of many of the schools' graduates' first employment sectors (i.e. "50% public, 20% private, 15% non-profit, 10% academia, 5% unknown", etc.) and some had median starting salaries of recent grads.
    Some schools like my alma mater provide that type of information for free through its department or in my school's case their career center. Why pay for this type of info when you can just ask the schools strait up?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Sep 2010
    If you have a reason for not being able to afford the guide (PeaceCorps or AmeriCorps member) - contact them to see if they will provide you with a free copy. Although it does just amalgamate much information you can access for free, I found it helpful in that I didn't have to search through dozens of websites and some of the student profiles and opinions were helpful.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    It is not free. You must purchase it from Planetizen. But honestly it is pointless. It doesn't do a very good job of much of anything other than to give priority to schools that are traditionally known a bit better.
    Definitely wish I had known this before I bought it... I got WAY better information just by talking to schools directly.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I checked the book out via library loan from my university library. It has a decent amount of stats and some schools have student survey responses, however I feel that the book is not worth the price they charge for it. Check to see if your public or school library can get you a copy via library loan.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    I have checked at the guide, it is interesting but I wouldn't pay to buy it. If you can't find it for free in a library look the APA guide for urban planning programs to get some first information. Now the rating is another story...I am not so sure you can trust Planetizen but as it is the major guide I think a lot of people now the first ten programs and expect them to be the best in US.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Jul 2012, 8:34 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Feb 2012, 5:27 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Feb 2011, 3:56 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Apr 2004, 8:13 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Aug 2001, 7:19 PM