Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pizza Pizza!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I understand Domino's sales and stock prices have taken off since introducing their 'new' pizza campaign. I'm sure you've seen the ads where they bald-faced admit their old pizza tasted like 'cardboard'. I haven't tried a Dominos pizza in years but admit I'm curious enough to try one out now.
    A few weeks ago we took a trip to Oregon. One night in Massachusetts we decided to order pizza and Dominos was the only place that would deliver. Remembering it from my college days I did not look forward to it, but was very surprised. It is good. The dogs even ate the pieces we could not finish, and you know how finicky dogs are when it comes to pizza.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    There are 4 pizza places in my little town, and I don't care for any of them. Because I'm on the road around the county, I found a couple of local places whose pizza I really like. Those are for lunch only.

There is a unique pizza shop near home - the crust is sweet, thin and flaky, and the sauce is sweet. We don't get it often, but enjoy it when we do.

If we're going to eat pizza at home, I make it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pizza lovers of Cyburbia, you must try the pizza at Pepe's in New Haven, Connecticut!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_P...ria_Napoletana

Out of this world thin crust brick oven pies!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Remember when Little Caesar's had the "Pizza Pizza" where you would get 2 for the price of 1 and they were sold in a big paper wrapped bag thingie? Well, they're actually bringing that marketing idea back and testing it in the Detroit area right now.

My wife's family has friends in the Buffalo area who eat nothing but pizza every time they come out here because they love the "Detroit" style (I cannot disagree).

There are about a dozen places that we get pizza from a couple times a week (we love the pie!) here locally. Papa Romano's, Jet's, Alibi, Green Lantern, Louie's, Shield's, and my favorite: Buddy's! My wife and I pushed the baby stroller up there for lunch just this afternoon!

There is a place a few miles from my house that opened a couple of years ago though that specializes in "New Haven" style super-thin pizza that is really good. They were even listed in GQ last year as one of the 25 best places in the country for pizza (along with a few other Detroit places). It's definitely a change of style from what you normally find here. My favorite part of the place though is that during the week they have a $6 all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. But if you get there at the wrong time there's a line 30 people deep just to get in the door. It's a pretty odd site to see at a pizza joint in a strip mall in suburban Detroit.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    ..... But alas, my heart sticks with a main regional chain, Round Table Pizza.....
    Aw man, I miss Round Table. That settles it; we've got flights out to California in mid-January and I'm getting me some Round Table.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Aw man, I miss Round Table. That settles it; we've got flights out to California in mid-January and I'm getting me some Round Table.
    OMG...their sauce is the best. They are in Oregon too.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    So the family is getting pizza tonight. We will be ordering from Happy's Pizza, a chain that started in Detroit in '94 and has since expanded, largely in the Detroit area, with locations elsewhere in Michigan, and a few in nearby states.
    Love the Happy's Pizza Commercials on the website, nice share!!

I love pizza. When it comes to national chains my favorite carry-out pizza is Papa John's, and it is reasonably priced compared to other national chains. Locally we have a pizza joint called Fedora's, specializing in unique pizzas like gyro pizzas and potato pizzas.

At home, I like to get a simple frozen cheese pizza, Tombstone, etc and and onions and spices to it for a quick meal.

I also like to make pizza, taking either homemade or store-bought crust, brushing it with olive oil and garlic. I make a sauce of pizza sauce with roasted red peppers and artichokes. I then top the sauce with cheese, artichokes and thinly sliced onion. Yum!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Not a real big fan of pizza. Every couple months I get a hungering for pizza. This Bear likes pizza with "the works". Swanton has a great pizza joint. They also have super-dee-duper cinnamon bread.

Marco's also has an outlet in Swanton. A Toledo corporation, Marco's is considered the 25th largest pizza chain in the world.

When I was going to university I was also working as a pizza delivery driver, out of the original Toledo location of Little Ceasar's. We delivered the pies via VW bugs.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Chicago style pizza is the best. And like has been mentioned, most of the time, it is thin crust. Occasionally, I will get deep dish, but thin crust is generally what is eaten most of the time. There's a Lou Malnati's just up the road and ever since they opened that location up, we've been going there. And if it's a regular Friday night, it's thin crust, which kicks the ass of any other pizza in this country. Before the new Lou Malnati's opend up, we ordered from Taylor Street. Before then, Rosati's.

I try not to get pizza when going on vacation, because based on experience, most places outside of the Chicago area suck at making pizza.

As for the national chains: Domino's is just OK. Pizza Hut usually makes me nauseous.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Giordanos in Chicago-deep dish-enough said.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahhh.....

My favorite pizza of all time....margarita pizza with sliced tomato and basil

Chicken DOES NOT belong on PIZZA!!! NASTY.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Normally I agree with this statement, but Everybody's Pizza in ATL uses shaved chicken breasts that taste amazing with some spinach and onion on their pizza. It is the only time I have enjoyed chicken on pizza though...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Agreed, also avocado. Both are great fajita fillers.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Giordanos in Chicago-deep dish-enough said.
    YUMMO!

We have only a few franchises where I live, I usually end up with Little Ceasars because it's cheap. There are a few local places that have excellant pizza though, so sometimes I splurge and get that.

My toppings of choice - ham and pineapple.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the state of pizza in Buffalo before.

National chains? Almost nonexistent. No Papa John's, Little Caesars, Hungry Howie's, Mellow Mushroom, Boston Pizza, Donato's or California Pizza Kitchen. Pizzeria Uno closed their only Buffalo location this summer. There are two Domino's locations, a few old-school Pizza Huts still around, and a couple of mall food court Sbarros.

Buffalonians are fiercely loyal to Buffalo-style pizza, which can only be found in Buffalo, the first two rings of suburbs, and some expat-owned pizzerias in Charlotte, Raleigh and Denver. Trademarks of Buffalo-style pizza include a thick crust with a somewhat crispy, charred surface and plenty of air pockets and voids, sweet and slightly tangy sauce, mozzarella cheese, burnt Margherita pepperoni that curls up into little grease bowls, and an almost nonexistent crust "handle". Bocce Club is considered the reference Buffalo-style pizza.

(Image from buffalochow.com)

The growing expat community from the New York City area despise Buffalo-style pizza with every fiber of their being. There are a few local pizzerias that serve New York-style utility pizza. One local NY style chain, Zetti's, has locations near area college campuses, where Lawnguyland accents are as common as the Buffalonian Northern Cities/GNVS drone. Zetti's is a good alternative to Buffalo-style pizza; a slice and a Coke is an entire meal.

Indie pizzerias are everywhere in the Buffalo area. Every small strip plaza will have one or two pizzerias, no exaggeration. When I worked for the local Domino's branch in my undergrad years, there were over 30 pizzerias just in the store's delivery area.

Of course, Buffalo being a in a perpetual time warp, there are only a couple of upscale wood-fired over pizzerias, and no organic free-range fair-trade local single-source grass-fed wild-crafted sweatshop-free artisenal non-GE non-GMO non-irradiated paraben-free sustainable LEED-certified renewable energy-powered hemp-friendly differently-abled minority woman GBLT-owned pizzerias to speak of.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Of course, Buffalo being a in a perpetual time warp, there are only a couple of upscale wood-fired over pizzerias, and no organic free-range fair-trade local single-source grass-fed wild-crafted sweatshop-free artisenal non-GE non-GMO non-irradiated paraben-free sustainable LEED-certified renewable energy-powered hemp-friendly differently-abled minority woman GBLT-owned pizzerias to speak of.

But what about the dolphins?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    ...Of course, Buffalo being a in a perpetual time warp, there are only a couple of upscale wood-fired over pizzerias, and no organic free-range fair-trade local single-source grass-fed wild-crafted sweatshop-free artisenal non-GE non-GMO non-irradiated paraben-free sustainable LEED-certified renewable energy-powered hemp-friendly differently-abled minority woman GBLT-owned pizzerias to speak of.
    Sentence of the millennium!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    FWIW, Buffalo-style pizza outside of Buffalo:

Naked City Pizza, Las Vegas: http://nakedcitylv.com
    Johnny Mac's, Las Vegas
    Santora's Sunset Bar and Grill: Las Vegas
    Buffalo Brothers, Raleigh: http://www.buffbrothers.com
    Galla's Pizza, Atlanta: http://gallaspizza.com
    Luciano's Pizza, Denver: http://www.lucianospizzaandwings.com
    Paventi's Pizzeria, Charlotte: http://www.paventispizzeria.com
    Taste of Buffalo, Charlotte: http://www.tasteofbuffalopizzeria.com
    Buffanardi's Pizza, Charlotte

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    In the frozen pizza division I award the blue ribbon to California Kitchen's pizza,
    We love Amy's Pizza. It's usually found in the organic section and it is DELICIOUS. A little pricey, though.

Sometimes we'll get a Boboli crust, a can of tomato sauce, and some bag cheeses and we'll make our own and bake it on our baking stone. Turns out great!

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Chicago style pizza is the best. And like has been mentioned, most of the time, it is thin crust. Occasionally, I will get deep dish, but thin crust is generally what is eaten most of the time. There's a Lou Malnati's just up the road and ever since they opened that location up, we've been going there. And if it's a regular Friday night, it's thin crust, which kicks the ass of any other pizza in this country. Before the new Lou Malnati's opend up, we ordered from Taylor Street. Before then, Rosati's.
    Yup. Giordano's is the gold standard for deep dish, although locally here in central IL we have Papa Del's, which in my opinion is 99% as good. There is another local joint called Amano's owned by a middle-eastern guy that has good stuff, too. In Chicago you can't really go wrong with Giordano's, Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno, Malnati's, or Home Run Inn. Rosati's is good, too, and we now have one down here. My in-laws always order from their local neighborhood joint called JD Kadd's in an old 50's strip mall. It is pretty decent pizza.

I'm not much for the national chains at all. Maybe Pizza Hut once in a blue moon, but as I mentioned before we'd rather get a good frozen or make our own than order from a national chain, or go to one of the aformentioned local/regional places.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 09 Nov 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: seq. posts
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    As for the national chains: Domino's is just OK. Pizza Hut usually makes me nauseous.
    Oh, I forgot about the good national chains. Whenever I'm killing time at a mall during lunchtime, I have to get Sbarro! And Papa John's is really good too.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Mine! Mine! Mine!

NOM NOM NOM

*burp*

Registered
    May 2005
    Mine! Mine! Mine!

NOM NOM NOM

*burp*
    You son of a bitch. I will not stand for this taunting. This aggression will not stand, man.

By the way, Pizza Hut has typically been at the top of my list for nationals, but lately it's making me feel crappy.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Round table is the best chain.

And chicken DOES TOO belong on a pizza! Pesto sauce and chicken and feta? Or bbq sauce and chicken and bacon? Delicious.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I try really hard not to do frozen. But we are the home of Tony's Pizza, made locally so it is hard to find people locally that will eat it.

We just got a Little Ceasars, I find the hot and ready quite nice and the all meat is $8 but still a great deal.

We have a number of other mom and pop places that are very good.

But I crave Godfather's. Mostly because it was what we had for years.

Love me some pizza.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dan, those pictures are making my jealous. Can't get that around here. Too bad half of your list of Buffalo style pizza is in Charlotte.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 45
    Last post: 31 Oct 2012, 10:54 AM
  2. Teh Real Pizza Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 126
    Last post: 08 Nov 2009, 1:12 PM
  3. NY pizza can't beat Phoenix pie!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9