Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Updating resume - college name change

Registered
    Jan 2006

Updating resume - college name change

Hoping this is a pretty simple question. I received my BA from Transguy College. Recently, Transguy College has become Transguy University. I'm wondering how to include this on my resume now. Do I list that my degree is from Transguy College (since that was the name of the institution that issued my degree)? Or do I change it to reflect the can is status from College to University (making it easier if someone wishes to search to find out about this small school)?

Thanks.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

It happened to me: East Stroudsburg State College became East Stroudsburg University. I left it as ESSC on my resume. If it came up today, I'd probably put it as ESSC with ESU parenthetically.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    When in doubt put the name of the school that issued you the degree. If any questions come up you have a very solid explanation.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Any of these suggestions are good. When most schools go through a name change they usually have a program that allows previous graduates to 'update' their degree to the new name, either free or at a reduced cost. That would clear up all confusion. Something to consider.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    You can also call the school's professional guidance office for advice.

I remember when Trenton State College (NJ) became The College of New Jersey. They actually mailed all alumni and offered them a new diploma for X amount of dollars with the new school name on it. Some took advantage while others did not.

Putting the new school name shouldn't default anything.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    When in doubt put the name of the school that issued you the degree. If any questions come up you have a very solid explanation.
    I agree with this. Unless you want to get a new degree, the one you were issued is still valid. You can explain if necessary.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Thanks to all. I was unaware that schools may offer to issue a new degree. That makes it pretty clear in my opinion. Use the previous name or fork out the cash.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Silly......

Come on......drop the $30 to buy a new degree and I'm sure it will say university, not college......problem solved. Call the school to verify this. Use the most current name.

JNA and I went through this with the University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Center.....er ah I mean University of Colorado at Denver.....ooops....I mean University of Colorado Denver..........awe who cares, my actual degree just says University of Colorado anyway
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    JNA and I went through this with the University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Center.....er ah I mean University of Colorado at Denver.....ooops....I mean University of Colorado Denver..........awe who cares, my actual degree just says University of Colorado anyway
    So glad you kept track and understand all of that.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'd list it as Transguy College (now University) as Gedunker suggested. Cover bases.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I checked with the school. There is normally a $75 fee for this, but if I get my request in here pretty soon they'll send me a new one for free. Otherwise they recommend putting Transguy University (formerly Transguy College).

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I would list the new name of the university...although I don't think it will matter much. The reason I would go with the new name would be if they ask you for a transcript to verify your degree then it could raise a flag...or if HR does a Google search and cannot find Transguy College...you might lose out on an interview.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004

yeah....or

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I would list the new name of the university...although I don't think it will matter much. The reason I would go with the new name would be if they ask you for a transcript to verify your degree then it could raise a flag...or if HR does a Google search and cannot find Transguy College...you might lose out on an interview.
    Do what I've done in the past, just send them a copy of all your degrees and certs in the mail with the application, so there is NO confusion. Brocktoon is right about HR divisions being a bunch of dumb asses sometimes.
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 9:20 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Apr 2007, 7:39 AM
  4. Replies: 51
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 8:33 PM