Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: How does it feel to watch your superior get grilled in public?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I relish in the sufferings of others

1 3.85%
  • I can be found in the fetal position in the corner when this happens

0 0%
  • I go to the Bahamas in my mind when this is going on (or doodle)

1 3.85%
  • I take it in, give support afterwards and hope I'm not next

9 34.62%
  • I step in a boldly and actively support the manager

2 7.69%
  • His problem, not mine sweetheart

0 0%
  • He's an @$$, hang 'im high I say

1 3.85%
  • I am the boss and I expect my employees quietly support me

0 0%
  • I am the boss and I don't expect my employees to give passive or active support

3 11.54%
  • I'm the boss, no elected officials over me - we have cookies too in the private sector

0 0%
  • This thread/poll makes me reach for my Tums

2 7.69%
  • This thread/poll makes me want to hit the local watering hole

2 7.69%
  • Uh, LP?

1 3.85%
  • Other more snarky answer

4 15.38%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: love it or hate it when the boss is getting publicly humiliated

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

love it or hate it when the boss is getting publicly humiliated

So I sat through a rough chief elected official meeting watching the town manager get grilled - I was very uncomfortable - I don't think it's warranted either

How is it for you when the inevitable happens - your superior gets tarred and feathered in a very public meeting you are at?

wait for the poll, please...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I never think it is a good thing when the boss gets humiliated. The boss is often a public representation of the department or firm, and when they get humiliated, everyone gets humiliated.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Yep, hate it. It's like when you're nine and your friend is getting yelled at by his mom....what are you supposed to do? You sit there/stand there looking around and feeling like you should do something....but there's nothing to do. You can't really jump in, not realistically. They don't want to hear your defense of what somebody did or how they answered and the boss certainly doesn't need you mucking up the water. They didn't get to be the boss by not being good at handling that stuff.

It's just awkward. I hate it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Basically, the shit always runs down the hill, staff included. Hate it.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hate it. I like my boss. Most the time I do work to make him look good.... if he looks bad....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I hate it. Even with a CM that had it coming, it is not even remotely enjoyable to watch a public dress-down. The CM is the 'face' of the staff, so when something like this occurs it affects the credibility of the staff as a whole.

In contrast, there are few things that cause more relief than having a CM that you enjoy working for get praised publicly following an executive session evaluation, and for him to immediately respond by saying that a positive evaluation of him is really more of a reflection of the staff. He was granted a contract extension through 2015, with only the mayor opposed (she is not popular among councilmembers). Sadly, he has already been here 5 years and I feel confident he will begin looking for a new challenge soon. If he stays in the region, this might be the first case of a CM that I'd be willing to follow to another city.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    My boss is pretty amazing (and that’s not a term I throw out easily) and has more integrity than virtually anyone I know (again, not something I say about very many people). So, if she’s getting taken to task, its likely to upset me since its probably political in nature. Fortunately, that doesn’t happen often, she has a lot of support, and she can certainly hold her own.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I would feel very badly for him or her. One thing I hate to endure is watching someone being publicly embarrassed or grilled. I don't even like to see people I don't like being treated that way. It makes me so uncomfortable and embarrassed. Recently I was getting chastised at a meeting for something that wasn't my fault and I just couldn't shift the blame to the person responsible. I figured I was already catching s**t, why embarrass them as well. So I took the brunt and for my trouble I didn't even get ackowledgement from the person responsbile for doing them a solid. C'est la vie. Still, I would probably do it again.

Guess that is the reason I don't enjoy that kind of comedy - where laughs are elicted by exposing the character as a fool, such as "The Office."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I would feel very badly for him or her. One thing I hate to endure is watching someone being publicly embarrassed or grilled. I don't even like to see people I don't like being treated that way. It makes me so uncomfortable and embarrassed. Recently I was getting chastised at a meeting for something that wasn't my fault and I just couldn't shift the blame to the person responsible. I figured I was already catching s**t, why embarrass them as well. So I took the brunt and for my trouble I didn't even get ackowledgement from the person responsbile for doing them a solid. C'est la vie. Still, I would probably do it again.

Guess that is the reason I don't enjoy that kind of comedy - where laughs are elicted by exposing the character as a fool, such as "The Office."
    I'm in the same boat. I can't stand those types of shows. I empathize with the guy getting laughed at behind his back. Back on topic, I would hate it and cringe the whole time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    1st option is schadenfreude.

Will LP replace Maister in starting polls ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    I've seen this happen to my supervisor before. He was ill-prepared for a meeting with a 2 Star Admiral and basically was getting reamed. I was able to help out a little bit and cover for him. That was for a supervisor I didn't even particularly care for. Later the Admiral told me he appreciated me saying something, but he was trying to set an example/tone. I let him know that I used to beat bullies up in high school and that hadn't changed much since then. We had a laugh.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I have no superior. Not bragging, it's a fact.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Fortunately, or maybe sometimes unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen that happen. The closest I can come is seeing a disliked boss slamming a co-worker at a staff meeting to the point I was sick to my stomach. Happily, she later did something so horribly bad she was fired immediately, and it was all over the news.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Totally depends on whether I like the guy/gal. If I loathe them I'd relish every barbed word hurled their way.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our board has just about completely turned over, and are pushing for some (well-needed) changes. My boss is having a hard time of it. My position had been to support her, and I even defended her to one of the people who seem to be giving her the hardest time. That all changed a few months ago when the boss demonstrated some ill will toward me. I don't like that she's having a hard time, and I don't participate in it, but I won't defend her any longer. She can fend for herself.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I can't think of a single occasion when my boss getting publicly crucified was a good thing. Nothing good ever resulted from it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I can't think of a single occasion when my boss getting publicly crucified was a good thing. Nothing good ever resulted from it.
    I agree. I think that some enjoyment could come from a supervisor getting what he/she deserves, but that enjoyment would easily be overshadowed by the consequences. Besides, any time I've personally seen someone try to publicly crucify a supervisor, the facts were completely off base, and only served to mislead the public in order to support the complainers own agenda. There are better forums to address real issues.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    I agree. I think that some enjoyment could come from a supervisor getting what he/she deserves, but that enjoyment would easily be overshadowed by the consequences. Besides, any time I've personally seen someone try to publicly crucify a supervisor, the facts were completely off base, and only served to mislead the public in order to support the complainers own agenda. There are better forums to address real issues.
    Ditto.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004
    I don't like it at all - especially when its unfair which it usually is. But hey- they is the boss and they make more money than me - for many reasons. Taking fire is one of those reasons.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Even if I didn't agree with my boss on certain things, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The boss man would have to be a real big dick-douche for me to revel in that type of thing.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Oct 2005
    "When the douchebag director gets grilled in front of council youre like"

http://beingaplanner.tumblr.com/post...ed-in-front-of

disclaimer: If you have something due before noon don't go to this website. For the rest, I apologize in advance for chewing up the rest of your morning and lunch hour if you have never seen this website before.
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 33
    Last post: 04 Dec 2015, 9:03 AM
  2. What do you love? What do you hate?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 May 2011, 10:19 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 May 2010, 1:51 PM
  4. Replies: 28