Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Eating methodology

Registered
    Feb 2004

Eating methodology

I have concluded that short of cutting all the meat off the bone, there really is no good way to eat barbecued spare ribs without looking like some damned two year old!

Oh, and if someone figures out an efficient/expedient/cool way of eating pomegranites let me know.

Who eats their rows of corn on the cob vertically instead of horizontally? Ever see anyone 'roll up' a slice of NY pizza and eat it that way?

What effed up ways of eating food do you have, or have you observed with others?
    Last edited by Maister; 08 Nov 2010 at 1:45 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm also an aficionado of the 'typewriter' method of eating CotC, but I wonder how many others go at a plate of wings at the sports bar by pouring all of the ranch or bleu cheese dressing over the wings, swishing the plate around a couple of times to evenly distribute it and then digging in (like I do), instead of dipping the wings one at a time into the cup of dressing?

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I'm also an aficionado of the 'typewriter' method of eating CotC, but I wonder how many others go at a plate of wings at the sports bar by pouring all of the ranch or bleu cheese dressing over the wings, swishing the plate around a couple of times to evenly distribute it and then digging in (like I do), instead of dipping the wings one at a time into the cup of dressing?

Mike
    Definitely a dipper here as opposed to a batch eater. The advantage of dipping individually is that you can take home any leftover wings and dip in your own sauce later at home, rather than being 'stuck' with the house sauce. Of course, if one eats everything in one sitting it doesn't make odds which method one uses.

I could write a book on my (and propbably most other) 5 year old's eating techniques. Apart from the obvious lack of silverware usage, he seems terribly concerned with not letting other foods come into contact with each other on the plate (e.g. god help you if an eyedropper's worth of water from the green beans comes into contact with the bottom of, say, a dinner roll - you need to throw it out if that happens)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Definitely a dipper here as opposed to a batch eater. The advantage of dipping individually is that you can take home any leftover wings and dip in your own sauce later at home, rather than being 'stuck' with the house sauce. Of course, if one eats everything in one sitting it doesn't make odds which method one uses.
    Forget the wings and ribs and fried chicken, I won't eat meat off the bone. It seriously creeps me out seeing veins and cartiledge, etc.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I could write a book on my (and propbably most other) 5 year old's eating techniques. Apart from the obvious lack of silverware usage, he seems terribly concerned with not letting other foods come into contact with each other on the plate (e.g. god help you if an eyedropper's worth of water from the green beans comes into contact with the bottom of, say, a dinner roll - you need to throw it out if that happens)
    Yah same here I probably would have bought divided plates if they made them.

My other thing I do, is I've noticed that I usually eat all of something at once and move to the next thing.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The girl separates everything - like onions, peppers, celery, carrots, chicken, noodles from stir-fry - and then takes down one at a time.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    My other thing I do, is I've noticed that I usually eat all of something at once and move to the next thing.
    Me, too!

I eat most everything with a fork and knife, including sandwiches and wings.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Yah same here I probably would have bought divided plates if they made them.

I'm the same way. I don't like other foods touching too much and I usually eat one kind of food on my plate at a time.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My eating hierarchy is: II have a bite of the meat and the accompanying potato/pasta/rice, then I eat all my vegetables, then eat the potato/pasta/rice and finally, I finish with the meat. For me the meat is the best part and my dessert.

My wife came from a family of eleven children. She eats fast! My son talks a lot and eats slower. I eat the slowest.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    RT didn't like foods touching each other when she was little. Now it doesn't matter. Both of us eat a little of this and a little of that but she eats faster than me.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I like to eat all the crust of a sandwich before eating the middle.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I like to eat all the crust of a sandwich before eating the middle.
    I do the same thing with pot pies.

When I was a kid I also used to eat my salad last.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    It seriously creeps me out seeing veins and cartiledge.....
    Not me.

J. Dahmer
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I mixed my vegetables together. If I have peas and corn, they go together. If I have mashed potatoes and anything, they usually go together.

I am of the belief that everything mixes together in my stomach, so why not have it work that way before?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I tend to eat each type one at a time and when it comes to ribs, who cares, just dont get between me and my ribs I have been told or maybe it is accused that I eat like a shark in a feeding frenzy when it come to ribs but like I said who cares

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Forget the wings and ribs and fried chicken, I won't eat meat off the bone. It seriously creeps me out seeing veins and cartiledge, etc.
    I believe McDonald's is serving the McRib sandwich again. It's the boneless alternative.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Peer communities methodology
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 1:27 PM
  2. Extreme eating
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Oct 2008, 12:01 PM
  3. Eating Dinner Together
    Friday Afternoon Club