Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Site visits and ADA compliance

Registered
    Nov 2010

Site visits and ADA compliance

In most states, a quorum of the Planning Board making a site visit for a proposed development is a public meeting. Municipalites must provid access to that meeting for all people in order to be compiant with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). For many of these site visits, the topography and terrain features make it difficult, if not impossible, for an individual with mobility issues to take part in the public meeting (site visit). How have other municipalities handled this issue?

Ken Niemczyk
    City Planner
    City of Lebanon, NH

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is great that you are thinking of such things. A few years ago I was heading up a waterfront plan, and one of our public outreach efforts was a walk through the site. One of the attendees was in a wheelchair. We planned the route to try to follow an accessible path, but that is not always possible. It does meet the requirements for "reasonable" accessibility. Furthermore, we did ensure that all discussions and presentations occurred in places where everyone could participate. Having this person along did help us to recognize improvements that could expand access to the disabled
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    That's one of the reasons that I've always asked my Commissioners to make site visits solo. Tripping the trigger for compliance with Open Meetings Act makes it so much more cumbersome. Never had a Commissioner object.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 22 Mar 2011, 7:00 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Oct 2010, 1:48 PM
  3. Report: school visits
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Dec 2005, 7:24 PM
  4. Ex Parte Rules - Site Visits
    Land Use and Zoning