Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GRE scores and urban planning grad school

Registered
    Sep 2010

GRE scores and urban planning grad school

I would love to hear opinions on the following:

I just received my final GRE Scores and I received a 590V, 720Q and a dismal 3.0 on AW. I will admit, I was completely surprised by this low score. Will my low AW score affect my chances of attending a graduate program in urban planning?

I am applying to:

University of Minnesota
    University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
    University of Southern Maine
    University of Michigan

Thanks for reading!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    I think it's important to understand that the AW score, along with your Q and V scores, are just one facet of your application. So while they might look at your scores, they take other things into consideration too.

As far as your AW score, I feel ya. I surprisingly scored really low on it too, but the fact is that the GRE writing section looks for dull and stringent things like high-school 5 paragraph format. You can't really use too complex grammar/vocabulary either, because it is scored in part by that weird computer system thing.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they want to see if you can write, they can look at your personal statement.

Registered
    Sep 2010
    Thank you, quietsilver. I totally agree with your thoughts on the GRE score. If a school was to judge me solely on my AW then it clearly is not the place for me. Fortunately, from what I've read, most schools take a holistic approach in admissions. Good luck on your apps!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 1:11 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 3:11 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 6:18 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 27 Mar 2007, 4:27 AM